Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expedite check in for $15

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2001, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Expedite check in for $15

While on line at the ticket counter at AA in SDQ, a local gentleman approached me and offered an expedite check in for the amazing fee of $15.
"You could miss your flight if you stay in this long line" I ignored him but later on I saw someone who didnt and paid, he was moved ahead of the line, the AA counter checked him in and was then taken directly to customs, all in about 4 minutes! Thats security for you! Small price to pay to by pass the entire system. I wonder what % of the fee did the counter agent get!!
Old Nov 15, 2001, 11:53 am
askworldtraveler

I guess I'm in shock - or am I naive? Is this happening anywhere besides Santo Domingo? I know 'tour' agents my sometimes have a special counter or agent to go to....but never have I seen money being paid to jump to the front - a tip for curbside check in - yes.

------------------
Askworldtraveler, EXP,4 million AA miles+++Hilton Gold (thanks to EXP)

Old Nov 15, 2001, 12:57 pm

There is a word for this, it's called bribery.

------------------
AA Gold,Hilton Gold VIP,
Old Nov 15, 2001, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Platinum; SPG Gold; Priority Club/IHG Platinum Ambassador
This may be common practice in South American countries and Caribbean islands. Many of the airports are lax in security around the checkin counters. It would not surprise me if there was a little connection going on between the counter agent and the "expeditor".
When I flew from Punta Cana to Miami returning from a trip, i expedited myself but using my AA Gold card! I was flying LanChile and there was a line of about 60 people ahead of me for the coach class check in. I walk up to the first class counter, show my AA Gold card (OW Ruby) and was welcomed to check in myself and my whole family at the same time (8 people).
No need for an expediting "fee" or anything, just take advantage of your AAdvantage!

-Eli

------------------
Washington,DC/Miami
AAdvantage Gold
Old Nov 15, 2001, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sure that AA corporate would love to hear that story. Did you take down the name of the AA employee behind the counter that did the "expedite" check-in (assuming that the person soliciting the $15 was also not an AA employee him/herself)??
Old Nov 15, 2001, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

First, it sounds like kpdunphy was standing in the coach check-in line.

Why?

As AA PLT, why not use your AAdvantage status and go straight to First/Business check-in?
Old Nov 15, 2001, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
It reminds me of something I witnessed last christmas at SFO. I was in line for the AA skycap (long line, about 15-20mins) when a guy arrived and told the skycap that his plane was departing in 20mins and he needed to check a bag. The skicap just answered: "if you help me, I might be able to help you." After a $10 tip (or should we call it expedite fee?), the new arrival got promoted to the beginning of the line and he was ready to go in 30 seconds.

[This message has been edited by acrespo (edited 11-15-2001).]
Old Nov 15, 2001, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Plato90s:
First, it sounds like kpdunphy was standing in the coach check-in line.

Why?

As AA PLT, why not use your AAdvantage status and go straight to First/Business check-in?
</font>
One agent for First class check-in with about 9 in line, AA eagle check in had 6 agents with about 20 in line. Guess which line will move quicker!
Old Nov 15, 2001, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kpdunphy:
One agent for First class check-in with about 9 in line, AA eagle check in had 6 agents with about 20 in line. Guess which line will move quicker! </font>
Yeah, and my fellow first class/AAdvantage elite travelers always take forever at the ticketing desk too. I don't know why that is.

So was this guy wearing a uniform or street clothes? Did any of the pax say anything when he magically brought someone ahead of them in line?

d
Old Nov 16, 2001, 5:58 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">One agent for First class check-in with about 9 in line, AA eagle check in had 6 agents with about 20 in line. Guess which line will move quicker! </font>
Ouch... I guess the Boston AA desk is just better. If they notice the First/Business line is backing up, the ticketing counter and the closest coach counter will start taking First/Business customers.
Old Nov 16, 2001, 6:06 am

Plato90s, I don't fly enough to justify what SJC does but the last time I flew, they Coach agents did not take Elites.

You have to know it is very hard to gain those elite status when you don't have a traveling job like alot of these people do.

------------------
AA Gold,Hilton Gold VIP,

[This message has been edited by MD80 (edited 11-16-2001).]
Old Nov 16, 2001, 6:17 am

MD80,

Oh, I know. In the 3 years I've been with AAdvantage I've taken a grand total of one (1) business trip. Everything else is paid for out of my own pocket for personal travel.

100k+ miles on personal travel just goes to show how addictive miles can be.

Anyways, about Boston, I've seen coach counter agents take First/Business customers when there's about 6-7 people in line and not moving because there's a complicated check-in holding up progress. I guess the supervisor (justifiably) didn't want to make their best customers wait too long.
Old Nov 16, 2001, 6:21 am

What?? You spend your own money flying around? I don't make nearly enough to do that here in the Bay Area, after moving here, I thought my raise was a nice one till I saw the living conditions here. I guess I better start saving for flying

------------------
AA Gold,Hilton Gold VIP,
Old Nov 16, 2001, 8:53 am
Original Poster

For some reason, elite flyers wait till they get to the counter to fix any issues. I seen passengers stay at the counter for 20 minutes ..always with one elbow on the desk and their hands holding their heads!
Old Nov 16, 2001, 9:34 am

Programs: Earned: AC SE, AA PLT - Comped: DL PLT, Avis PC, Hertz Platinum
I'd say that's part & parcel of the "elite" mentality.. I'm special, so they'll take care of my problems when I check-in. Which isn't neccessarily a wrong thought to have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.