Wiki Posts
Search

AA plat just booked Jet Blue ORD-SJU

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: luxury traveler

I couldn't believe the price $268 RT direct flights over spring break 2014... with the perk bigger seats... Will we really get AA miles on these flights? AA still competes in this market- just wondering.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chicagocat
Will we really get AA miles on these flights? AA still competes in this market- just wondering.
No miles. You only get miles on select B6 routes out of JFK and BOS.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: luxury traveler

Thanks for your reply and the info- I guess we will become true blue members then... I'm usually reluctant to try smaller carriers and purchased the tickets impulsively. AA's "partnership" with Jet Blue when fare differentials are 75% plus in competing markets. We're loyal to AA but not that loyal... Any AA fliers with jet blue perspectives?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You can see which flights earn RDM here. It's only select flights ex-BOS and ex-JFK, unfortunately.

"AAdvantage miles will be earned only on the listed markets and will be awarded on any itinerary that includes these markets, whether the flight is used alone or in conjunction with any other connecting flights."
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Thanks for your reply and the info- I guess we will become true blue members then... I'm usually reluctant to try smaller carriers and purchased the tickets impulsively. AA's "partnership" with Jet Blue when fare differentials are 75% plus in competing markets. We're loyal to AA but not that loyal... Any AA fliers with jet blue perspectives?
Have taken a few B6 flights over the years & have no issues w/them-especially like the seat back tv's ^
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
In the last couple of years, I've taken several JetBlue flights on the BOS-BWI and BOS-DCA routes and received mileage on AA each time. While the flights are short, service is good and some JetBlue policies (one free checked bag; free change to immediately preceding flight to same destination if space is available) are attractive to me. It wouldn't surprise me, though, if their agreement with AA changed after the AA/US merger goes through.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Have taken two Jet Blue round trips. The first time they lost my luggage -- for a month. The second time the TSA checkpoint at JFK was a total cluster**** (TSA's fault, but it was the dedicated JB terminal). Flights were comfortable, though, better than coach on AA.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Flights were comfortable, though, better than coach on AA.
I even like them better than first on AA. I've been doing a fair amount of JFK-NAS trips, and even as an EXP I've been choosing the B6 nonstop flights over AA with a connection with the possibility of an upgrade to first. A very pleasant flying experience. Don't even care that I'm not getting any miles for it.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Have taken two Jet Blue round trips. The first time they lost my luggage -- for a month. The second time the TSA checkpoint at JFK was a total cluster**** (TSA's fault, but it was the dedicated JB terminal).
My one and only severe luggage delay (bag lost for a month and when finally found and returned to me had articles stolen out of it) happened on AA. So scheiss like this can happen on any airline. I'd wager that if flying to the Caribbean your odds of a luggage theft/loss event are actually much higher on AA than B6 due to the fact that many Carib itins on AA involve connecting at MIA. AA's MIA operation is a total cluster****, has been for 20+ years, and always will be.

Originally Posted by justforfun
I even like them better than first on AA. I've been doing a fair amount of JFK-NAS trips, and even as an EXP I've been choosing the B6 nonstop flights over AA with a connection with the possibility of an upgrade to first. A very pleasant flying experience. Don't even care that I'm not getting any miles for it.
^ Screw mileage accrual and status. If I can fly a better product at a better price, I'm going to do it.

I'm usually reluctant to try smaller carriers and purchased the tickets impulsively. AA's "partnership" with Jet Blue when fare differentials are 75% plus in competing markets. We're loyal to AA but not that loyal...
Loyalty to an airline is highly overrated. Especially to an airline like AA that is meidocre on its best day. Forget loyalty and just fly the best product at the best price. I'm an EXP and getting to where I care less and less about maintaining status. I'll just buy attractively priced first class tickets where available and liberally cheat on AA with vastly better airlines (B6, VX) when I can.

Try B6 (and VX), you might like them! A lot!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

B6 hands down better than AA. More legroom, free snacks and drinks and IFE. Only negative is lack of Pre✓ but that should be coming to B6 in 2013.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Status isn't so important if the hard product is good and the airline treats everyone well. But once you fly to a market not served by B6, loyalty, er, has its rewards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.