Advice on a RTW ticket booked with AA/BA/CX

Old Jul 30, 13, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
Advice on a RTW ticket booked with AA/BA/CX

My company pays for me to fly on a RTW trip meeting my suppliers in business class once a year. The trip is routed ELP-DFW-MAD-VLC-LHR-BOM-MAA-CCU-HKG-LAX-ELP. I have to do some backtracking to connect for some flights and have been doing this for the past two years. Usually a 10-12 day trip.

My question is: Is there a way I can book the trip with the company paying for it -- but try to book the HKG-LAX/ORD leg using my points for F class and put it all in one PNR?

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 30, 13, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by anaggie View Post
My company pays for me to fly on a RTW trip meeting my suppliers in business class once a year. The trip is routed ELP-DFW-MAD-VLC-LHR-BOM-MAA-CCU-HKG-LAX-ELP. I have to do some backtracking to connect for some flights and have been doing this for the past two years. Usually a 10-12 day trip.

My question is: Is there a way I can book the trip with the company paying for it -- but try to book the HKG-LAX/ORD leg using my points for F class and put it all in one PNR?

Thanks for the help.
I believe your only option on a paid ticket, on the same PNR, to get into F is to route via an AA city in Asia (Shanghai, Beijing, Seoul, Tokyo) and upgrade on AA metal using the AA upgrade chart (25k plus $550 from discount business to F).

But that's not worth it, in my opinion. I'd just stay in CX J.

Unless you wish to terminate your trip in HKG and book a separate F award, if available, on CX back. But then you obviously wouldn't earn the EQM's.

You cannot combine award travel and a paid ticket in the same PNR that I'm aware of...
Old Jul 30, 13, 12:15 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is not possible to combine a paid ticket with an award ticket on a single PNR.
Old Jul 30, 13, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
ok.. thanks -- I would rather stay in J and earn the EQM's to qualify for status.
Old Jul 30, 13, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HNL View Post
It is not possible to combine a paid ticket with an award ticket on a single PNR.
That's the usual response despite the fact that several on this forum have reported contrary personal experiences.
Old Jul 30, 13, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back to the OP, if he/she flies the HKG-LAX/ORD segments using an F award (not an upgrade award, but a flight award) then the ticket itself no longer qualifies for a RTW fare.

You can upgrade the whole thing to F for $3700, if they're using published (not some corporate/consolidator deal), if you're flush.
Old Jul 30, 13, 7:02 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by Austinrunner View Post
That's the usual response despite the fact that several on this forum have reported contrary personal experiences.
A few have claimed that. However, it seems ridiculously hard to achieve, and so few and far between, that this is probably the most helpful answer....unless a reasonable surefire way to make it happen is revealed.

Cheers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: