Request to collect luggage at European point of entry

Old Jul 29, 13, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I am flying American Airlines Miami to Geneva, connecting in Madrid. The MAD-GVA segment is operated by Iberia (co-shared). I would like to collect my checked baggage in Madrid and actually not even take the flight to Geneva, but I was told by AA that it would be checked through to Geneva. Does anyone know if it is possible to have my bag ticketed to Madrid instead of Geneva? Or any other ways of working around this issue? Thank you!
Old Jul 29, 13, 9:01 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
buy a ticket back from gva?....ship he bags to mad?

this is a 1 way or the return of a rt?

Last edited by clacko; Jul 29, 13 at 9:17 am
Old Jul 29, 13, 9:17 am

Programs: DL GM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist

its a violation of the terms of your ticket to do what you're doing, known as "throwaway ticketing". the solution is carryon only.
Old Jul 29, 13, 9:24 am
Original Poster

It's the return of a multi-city itinerary. I found that flying to Geneva was cheaper than any flight to Madrid. What does a violation of the ticket mean? Aren't I free to do what I want, being that I paid for it? I don't want to lose my miles, incur any fines, etc. I'm just looking for a legal workaround. Of course I could purchase a 1-way back to Madrid. But I'll be with an infant and would prefer to avoid it if possible.
Old Jul 29, 13, 9:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by jtayl524 View Post
'Aren't I free to do what I want, being that I paid for it? I don't want to lose my miles, incur any fines, etc. I'm just looking for a legal workaround.
Yes, you are free to do what you want, under the terms of the ticket you purchased.

Last edited by Gamecock; Jul 29, 13 at 9:49 am
Old Jul 29, 13, 10:17 am

Programs: DL GM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
No, you are not allowed to do whatever you want. You purchased a ticket to go to Geneva, not to Madrid. Search throwaway ticketing on this website and you will see numerous threads explaining that buying a ticket with an extra leg because its cheaper than one leg less.
There is a good chance you may get denied miles.

Also look at http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...ey-on-airfare/

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-vs-497-a.html

http://freeinfreedom.com/2013/03/20/...tional-wisdom/
Old Jul 29, 13, 10:27 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
No, you are not allowed to do whatever you want. You purchased a ticket to go to Geneva, not to Madrid. Search throwaway ticketing on this website and you will see numerous threads explaining that buying a ticket with an extra leg because its cheaper than one leg less.
And if this is the outbound part of a round trip, they will cancel the rest of the itinerary.
Old Jul 29, 13, 10:53 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I will demur slightly - I have at times asked to collect my bags at a connecting airport rather than have them checked right through, and there hasn't been a problem.
Old Jul 29, 13, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL,EK
If a equipment change, weather or delay happens, the airline will rebook you to Geneva from where ever you are and you'll never see Madrid at all.
Old Jul 29, 13, 6:06 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, jtayl524. Please continue to follow this thread in the AA Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 29, 13, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately (for you) it's pretty clear in the voluminous contractual rules that govern the ticket you purchased. It is quite literally at the very top of such rules, which are available at https://www.aa.com/i18n/Tariffs/AA1.html

Tickets may not be purchased at a fare(s) published from an initial departure point on the Ticket which is before the Passengers actual point of origin of travel, or to a more distant point(s) than the Passengers actual destination being traveled even when the purchase and use of such Tickets would produce a lower fare. This practice is known as Hidden Cities Ticketing or Point Beyond Ticketing, and is Prohibited by AA.
Originally Posted by mandolino View Post
I will demur slightly - I have at times asked to collect my bags at a connecting airport rather than have them checked right through, and there hasn't been a problem.
U.S. airlines have generally caught up to this. And then there's the "security" angle/excuse that may make it illegal to do so (don't know for a fact, but would not be surprised).

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 30, 13 at 7:57 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jul 29, 13, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
If the OP doesn't make a habit of this, it's likely that nothing will happen to him. For all they know, they got sick, missed the flight, etc.. They certainly won't be the first person to do this...and receive the miles!
Old Jul 30, 13, 5:05 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
And then there's the "security" angle/excuse that may make it illegal to do so (don't know for a fact, but would not be surprised).
Taking your bags off shouldn't be a security problem, and they'd have to go through security anyway when you (theoretically) check them back in again.

It's perfectly normal to buy a through ticket with a long wait between connections, and use that time for a business meeting or whatever, for which you have to collect your bags - maybe you have a product sample or something.

I've done it myself, though not with that exact pair of airports.

Then you call the airline and say you can't make the connection. (it's irresponsible and inconsiderate not to) Chances are you'll get charged a re-booking fee but it might still be cheaper overall. Or it might just put you back where you started, costwise.

I don't think it's very good behaviour, but in many cases it would be possible.
Old Jul 30, 13, 6:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT

You can ask at MIA if they are willing to check bags only to MAD. If you booked a long connection time at MAD, the agent will be more willing to short check it. (eg Passenger want to do some shopping at connection point). YMMV.
Old Jul 30, 13, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jtayl524 View Post
Hello,

I am flying American Airlines Miami to Geneva, connecting in Madrid. The MAD-GVA segment is operated by Iberia (co-shared). I would like to collect my checked baggage in Madrid and actually not even take the flight to Geneva, but I was told by AA that it would be checked through to Geneva. Does anyone know if it is possible to have my bag ticketed to Madrid instead of Geneva? Or any other ways of working around this issue? Thank you!
Is the reservation one way?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: