Why can I not see the upgrade list on the PC website?

Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Marriott
Why can I not see the upgrade list on the PC website?

I can see it via the mobile AA app, but I can't see it on the website. Where do I find this information? Is it only on the mobile app?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:19 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
What has lead you to believe that this is supposed to be on the website?

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by pritomd
Is it only on the mobile app?
For now, yes.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA, United
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Well it does show up on the mobile app so it would follow that it would be on the website. But it is not. I would guess that they purpose built the mobile app (and they continue to upgrade it) with the intention of showing the upgrade and standby lists. Today I saw on the mobile app that I had cleared my standby and went up to the counter as she was calling my name.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cynical me says that they don't want it on the website to give you a reason to install the app, which grants AA snooping powers it would otherwise not have.

On Android, these include:
  • read phone state and identity - Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call.
  • retrieve running applications - Allows the app to get information about currently and recently running tasks. This may allow the app to discover information about which applications are used on the device.

Frankly, I don't understand why these permissions are needed for us to use the app. In addition, AA's app also request permission to catalog network connections such as which networks exist and are connected, both mobile and Wi-Fi, plus some potentially useful ones (but are they used by the app?) such as your precise location.

Creepy.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:50 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Don't forget that this is a very recent change to the mobile app; before the only place you could see the list was on the gate display
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by brentley
Quote:
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.

Well it does show up on the mobile app so it would follow that it would be on the website. But it is not. I would guess that they purpose built the mobile app (and they continue to upgrade it) with the intention of showing the upgrade and standby lists. Today I saw on the mobile app that I had cleared my standby and went up to the counter as she was calling my name.
The mobile apps are the future it won't be long before more flights are booked there than on the website.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:34 pm

Would guess that since it is only displayed within 4 hours of flight departure that most people would only need it on their mobile as for the majority of the time -- and especially in the last hour to hour and a half when things start to heat up, you probably only have mobile access. Just a thought. I know there will be some people that say they carry a powered up laptop all the way to the end.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: AA: EXP, SPG: Gold
Mobile computing is the way of the future. Long gone are the days of lugging that laptop out. I'm happy with just having the mobile app as I pretty much just go to my smartphone for most things now.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by allenh91801
Mobile computing is the way of the future. Long gone are the days of lugging that laptop out. I'm happy with just having the mobile app as I pretty much just go to my smartphone for most things now.
Finding the cheapest flight is still a pain on my phone. I prefer the computer for that.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Xero
Finding the cheapest flight is still a pain on my phone. I prefer the computer for that.
I know what you mean, Siri needs to be a bit smarter.
Of course, Apple did dumb her down.
Originally, if you asked Siri which cell phone was the best, she would tell you which model had the best reviews. Now she has programmed answers to that question. If you find yourself with free time, start talking to her.. if you have an iPhone. Ask her to marry you, multiple times. Check out the responses.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by hillrider
Cynical me says that they don't want it on the website to give you a reason to install the app, which grants AA snooping powers it would otherwise not have.

On Android, these include:
  • read phone state and identity - Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call.
  • retrieve running applications - Allows the app to get information about currently and recently running tasks. This may allow the app to discover information about which applications are used on the device.

Frankly, I don't understand why these permissions are needed for us to use the app. In addition, AA's app also request permission to catalog network connections such as which networks exist and are connected, both mobile and Wi-Fi, plus some potentially useful ones (but are they used by the app?) such as your precise location.

Creepy.
Just because a particular permission allows certain access does not mean that the app uses/abuses everything the permission grants. Most apps have access to the phone state and identity so that they can respond appropriately if a call comes in while the app is open.

It is certainly possible that they request/use permissions for nefarious purposes, but it is more likely that they are just requesting the access that they need to ensure that the app functions properly. Reading the phone state and being able to interact with other open apps is fairly standard.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAClubGeek
Just because a particular permission allows certain access does not mean that the app uses/abuses everything the permission grants. Most apps have access to the phone state and identity so that they can respond appropriately if a call comes in while the app is open.

It is certainly possible that they request/use permissions for nefarious purposes, but it is more likely that they are just requesting the access that they need to ensure that the app functions properly. Reading the phone state and being able to interact with other open apps is fairly standard.
Interesting, but still skeptical. The OS handles incoming phone calls, so the app doesn't need to know anything about it.

Your comment made me check the permissions of the only other airline app I have installed, the one from BA. Turns out that it works just fine with two simple permissions: network access and control vibration. Nothing about knowing my phone number, what other apps I use, where I am located, what networks I am connected to and I can see.

So call me cynical, but I can't see why the AA app wouldn't work just like the BA app does without them -- if AA requests the permission to know all of this other unrelated stuff about me, it's not because they are NEEDED to run the app.

Creepy.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:57 pm

Programs: aa exp, spg plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by pritomd
I can see it via the mobile AA app, but I can't see it on the website. Where do I find this information? Is it only on the mobile app?
I had a flight on Saturday and could not find the upgrade list on my AA app on Iphone. I made sure I had the newest version of the app but still no luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.