Strange exit row seating availability (AA182/PVG-LAX)

Old Jul 23, 13, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Strange exit row seating availability (AA182/PVG-LAX)

Yesterday I booked on AA182 PVG-LAX on the 777-200 in whY. 31 AB and HJ showed as occupied. I have PLT status and the preferred/elite seats were available and I selected one of those. 24 hours later I go back to the seat map and now 31A, 31B and 31H are all available.

Did something happen within 24 hours that caused three exit row seats to become available? Or is something else happening?

On past 772 segments I had no problems selecting exit row seats at the time of booking, even as GLD.
Old Jul 23, 13, 9:14 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by Winglets747 View Post

Did something happen within 24 hours that caused three exit row seats to become available?
People moved out of those seats?

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 13, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
SWUs clear?
Old Jul 23, 13, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Aren't some of the exit row seats under Airport control? When I flew FCO-ORD in 2010 I snagged 21J (exit window on the FO side) at check-in.
Old Jul 24, 13, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by uscjeff View Post
SWUs clear?
This. 31 A/B/H/J are considered to be the best seats in Y so it is much more likely that EXPs would select them.
Old Jul 24, 13, 7:56 am
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by norf9 View Post
This. 31 A/B/H/J are considered to be the best seats in Y so it is much more likely that EXPs would select them.
Absolutely, I've gotten moved from ordinary aisle seats to row 31 by GAs twice as upgrades have happened at the gate. While technically not an upgrade, it sure felt like it to me.
Old Jul 24, 13, 8:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn View Post
Aren't some of the exit row seats under Airport control? When I flew FCO-ORD in 2010 I snagged 21J (exit window on the FO side) at check-in.
I'm not aware of any exit row seats on AA that are held for airport assignment.
Old Jul 24, 13, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn View Post
I'm not aware of any exit row seats on AA that are held for airport assignment.
I will admit when I was offered that seat (I was in an aisle orginally, I think 29 something) I was surprised that it was still open. An SWU must have cleared.
Old Jul 24, 13, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although I'm firmly in the seat maps are unreliable indicators of almost everything that matters camp, this is one area where the seat maps do reveal some relevant data: on AA's 772s, when most of 31AB and 31HJ are reserved when I book, more often than not, my SWU request must be waitlisted. When three or four of them are vacant, my SWU request tends to clear upon request.

My WAG agrees with uscjeff: perhaps some upgrades cleared and that opened up the exit rows.
Old Jul 26, 13, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Although I'm firmly in the seat maps are unreliable indicators of almost everything that matters camp, this is one area where the seat maps do reveal some relevant data: on AA's 772s, when most of 31AB and 31HJ are reserved when I book, more often than not, my SWU request must be waitlisted. When three or four of them are vacant, my SWU request tends to clear upon request.

My WAG agrees with uscjeff: perhaps some upgrades cleared and that opened up the exit rows.
Yes, this is logical. Lack of people in those seats means a lack of upgrade competition.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: