Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emergency Landing MAN-ORD AA55 now AA9271

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Had my first emergency landing yesterday. Was over the Atlantic and turned around to land at Shannon Airport. Pilot said the fire alarm had gone off in cargo bay and we landed on the runway and the fire trucks came out. Turned out to be a sensor malfunction/flight computer error. By the time they figured it out the crew was beyond its service limit.

AA put us up at Radisson nearby, but I was surprised to see those seated in J were sent to a different hotel then everyone else. Still waiting on crew this morning but hoping to be back in the States today. Computer systems here couldn't handle the check-in so they did a manual check-in with handwritten boarding passes.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPiyPlBCYAAbOUc.jpg:large

http://avherald.com/h?article=46597dbf
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by cfo314
AA put us up at Radisson nearby, but I was surprised to see those seated in J were sent to a different hotel then everyone else.
Makes a lot of sense to me - apart from putting the people who paid the most into the best hotel, you'll protect them from having to fight with everybody else for a space in the bus and in the check-in queue. It also leaves the options open for offering them alternative flight reaccommodation before the replacement flight arrives, if deemed appropriate, without everybody else becoming upset.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Makes a lot of sense to me - apart from putting the people who paid the most into the best hotel, you'll protect them from having to fight with everybody else for a space in the bus and in the check-in queue. It also leaves the options open for offering them alternative flight reaccommodation before the replacement flight arrives, if deemed appropriate, without everybody else becoming upset.
We were originally in the large coach bus with everyone else and they told us to get off onto a smaller, somewhat nicer bus. There was less hassle and it did seem we received priority treatment as we left first, arrived first etc.

Moral of story- don't check your bags if you can. At SNN they did not send checked bags along. The purser waited until the end if the flight to let everyone know that the cargo hold was empty. Apparently there's a US law that prohibits bags not traveling with you from arriving the same day. Not sure how they plan to do this since AA doesn't have any flights from SNN.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 3:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

I highly doubt there is such a law or regulation. I had misplaced bags arrive several hours later and on the same day.

Perhaps there is an issue with the cargo hold related to the original incident and AA decides it is safer not to load any bags.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.6 MM
If I recall correctly:

If they had a fire indicator, they likely fired the fire extinguishers in that cargo hold. I think they have 1-2 sets. If they use those they are not allow to fly with anything in the hold until they are recharged.

That could also be what happened. Perhaps once of our pilots will let us know if that is accurate?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian

AA put us up at Radisson nearby, but I was surprised to see those seated in J were sent to a different hotel then everyone else. Still waiting on crew this morning but hoping to be back in the States today. Computer systems here couldn't handle the check-in so they did a manual check-in with handwritten boarding passes.
Wait-- the folks in J were the ones banished to the Radisson? Why did they make you guys suffer?!
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Moral of story- don't check your bags if you can. At SNN they did not send checked bags along. The purser waited until the end if the flight to let everyone know that the cargo hold was empty. Apparently there's a US law that prohibits bags not traveling with you from arriving the same day. Not sure how they plan to do this since AA doesn't have any flights from SNN.
Even if I need to check a bag, I always travel with a carry-on containing a change of clothes or two...you never know. I also always carry an extra pair or two of underway, socks, and shirt when doing carry on in case I have to spend an extra night or two on the end of the trip.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:43 pm

So glad to hear that you landed safely!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:40 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by skylady
So glad to hear that you landed safely!
Thank goodness. I say well done to the pilots fo gtting the plane safely down on the ground. This absolutely is the most important thing.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Where did the pax in J get put up (hotel)?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Where did the pax in J get put up (hotel)?
Based on OP's comment about him being put in a better bus, I assume he was in J. The question is where did the Y people end up
Old Jul 22, 2013, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Those in Y were sent to South Court hotel in Limerick. Not sure what that was like. Crew did a great job considering the situation. Ground staff also did great considering they don't normally service AA. FA said they washed all the dishes and replated them with food for the return. Also got to see Secretary Kerry's plane as Shannon is often used for stops.

As a nice touch, I received a message today saying they would credit my account with 25,000 Aadvantage miles:

We are writing to follow up with you about the situation you encountered as a passenger on our flight 55 on July 19. We realize that our decision to land in Shannon was certainly unexpected and regret any concern you may have experienced. In accordance with standard operating safety procedures, our captain asked that the emergency response team be deployed upon landing. While we can well imagine how surprising it was to see emergency vehicles and personnel meet your flight, your safety is our primary concern.

In appreciation for your patience, we have added 25,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles to your account. You should see this mileage adjustment in your account very soon, and you can view this activity via our web site, AA.com.

Your loyalty is important to us and we would like to assure you that we are committed to getting you to your destination as planned. We'll do our best to provide a smooth trip the next time you fly with us. We will look forward to the opportunity.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Thank goodness. I say well done to the pilots fo gtting the plane safely down on the ground. This absolutely is the most important thing.
I am jaded about these type of comments. Like they're not trained for this. Yes, they'd don't deal with (false) fire alarms every day, but knowing what to do when there's a fire is in their job description. And given that there was no fire, they did nothing more than follow checklists and divert. And, of course, trying to contain their heartbeat -- it must have not been a fun ride back for them!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
AA did fly to SNN a few years back. When did the service end.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
AA did fly to SNN a few years back. When did the service end.
IIRC the SNN route was a requirement for the DUB route. When the Open Skies agreement too effect, airlines pulled out of SNN left and right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.