American and TWA to Stop Serving Meals in the Main Cabin...

Old Sep 23, 01, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
Aircraft cleaners spend only a few minutes on the plane while it's at the gate. This will save AA money. That's why they're doing it.</font>
And that is exactly the point I was trying to make that was expanded upon in the post you responded to.

The aircraft cleaners only spend a few minutes on the plane. Before, it was easier to keep the plane clean after a formal AA meal service - the trays went back into the catering carts, most remaining trash was collected as the FAs passed through the aisle with their trash bags.

Now without formal meal procedures, flight attendants will likely feel less obligated to pick up after those who bring their food on board, passengers will stuff their trash into the seat back pockets to get it out of their way (trust me, I already see that happen too much as it is), and the main cabin is going to have a nasty recirculated grease smell by the end of the day.

I am *oh* so very much looking forward to flying with the mixed smells of pizza, burgers, french fries, warm mayo, Starbucks coffee, Cinnabon, cheesesteak, fried fish, and Manchu Wok floating through the air. It makes me nauseated just to think about it.

The ground cleaning crew had better spend their few minutes replenishing the air sickness bags - we are going to need them. (That is, of course, assuming that the bean counters haven't decided that those aren't really necessary anymoe either.)
Old Sep 23, 01, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, they'll just have to turn up the fresh air intake to compensate for that nasty food smell mix. But, that decreases fuel efficiency and will cost more in terms of gas.

So, my suggestion would be to cut out that fresh air intake. It would be much more efficient. Actually, if they stop pressurizing the cabin, the airplane will be lighter, and thus cheaper to operate. We can also take out the food and beverage service on all flights, in all classes; inflight entertainment, laptop power ports, and go to the FAA minimum number of flight attendants. This would reduce costs and make the plane lighter.

Whether you like the food or not, an orderly meal service makes air travel more comfortable and appealing for
many people. If flying is like visiting the dentist, I can imagine there will be plenty of people who will cut out a lot of their travel. How many people who fly 100k+ miles a year are going to want to travel so much like this, especially because all that time in the air usually is off the clock in terms of getting compensated by your employer?

d
Old Sep 23, 01, 3:23 pm

Being Asian please take this in the right way.
Boy, wait for the Korean's to bring their favorite food on the plane.
Old Sep 23, 01, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way - cutting out meals on flights under 2 hours in FC? I don't know anyone who would ever buy a domestic FC ticket for such a short flight with food service, but without? The extra $1000 ticket price is going to get you what in FC? Extra refills of tap water?

Assuming anyone was every buying these tickets before - they're not anymore.

d
Old Sep 23, 01, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't it true that some people lose their temper more easily on an empty stomach?

And what about kids who will keep crying "Mommy, I'm hungry!"?

Old Sep 24, 01, 11:20 pm
Don

Hmmm ... a simple test for any MBAs out there:

Business problem #1: Revenue is plummeting because way too few people are flying.

Solution #1: Bring passengers back into your planes.

Method #1: Reduce mediocre service to no service at all, maintain fares at current level or raise them, provide zero new incentive for people to fly.

Business problem #2: Somehow, this strategy isn't fixing Business Problem #1. What's going wrong?
Old Sep 25, 01, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Two new rumors on why AA is doing this - (or at least this is the propaganda they are feeding their employees) -

An old-school FA on my DFW-LAS segment today told me AA is dropping most catering so that they can cater only out of hubs. She first said they were doing this because of security concerns involving catering. I asked her if they would still be catering meals/plated snacks in F (the answer was yes) and if they would be serving beverages and the mix (also yes). I asked her how this could possibly improve safety if the caterers still had access to the catering trolleys and the planes. She then stated that flights will now be double/triple catered only out of select hubs where everything will undergo a select security screening.

(Gee, I really can't wait until I'm on the third flight on a hot summer day when they are out of ice, out of Evian, out of select beverages...)

Then the second thing she had to say was that AA was reducing meal catering to help out the vendors in the airports because they were losing so much money because of only ticketed passengers being allowed on the planes.

(WHOA... that AA employee propaganda machine is working overtime now. The airline - which is allegedly bleeding so much they have to cut 20k of their own jobs and ask for billions from the government is now SO concerned about the industry that they are making business decisions to help OTHERS out where they have no profit interest?)

On an aside, the staff at the Admirals Club at DFW-C today was having to force the smiles. Paranoia of where the next cut would come is definitely on everyone's mind. I talked to a couple of the regular agents and they are somewhat anxious about where the next cut will come.
Old Sep 25, 01, 6:48 am

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
Don, nice post above.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by techgirl:
Then the second thing she had to say was that AA was reducing meal catering to help out the vendors in the airports...
</font>
Just when you thought you'd heard it all...you know, in a black-comedy sort of way, this is all starting to get amusing.

Perhaps a "Best/Funniest/Dumbest AA Excuses" thread is in order?

[This message has been edited by SuperSlug (edited 09-25-2001).]
Old Sep 25, 01, 2:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yyz-den:
wavebender:

Thanks for the 'idiot' comment - I'm sure that you are an intellectual giant and I cringe before your presence.

What do you do between checkin and boarding - if you leave at 16:00 and depart at 19:00 is there not time to grab a bite to eat??

I am also EXP - and I have found that it is far more beneficial to me to look after myself when possible than to rely on others to do it for me. Granted it does not give me the same scope for whining, or begging for compensation for every little thing - but I usually get to my destination a far happier camper.

Try it, you may like it.

</font>

You need to lighten up there chief. No need to be so rude to people who are only expressing their opinions. We're all allowed to express our opinions here WITHOUT being attacked. If you don't have anything nice to say...........
Old Sep 25, 01, 9:30 pm
LLZ

I will post this as another perspective on these cuts.

http://www.biztravel.com/branc.html

I'll also add that the airlines get most of their fares at the very least two weeks ahead of time. Granted they are not business or full coach....but couldn't they have made it at least two weeks before pandering to the government???
Old Sep 25, 01, 9:35 pm
LLZ

Originally posted by techgirl:
Then the second thing she had to say was that AA was reducing meal catering to help out the vendors in the airports...

Indeed. How about the airline caterers, and their employees? How about the wholesalers to those catering operations and their employees?

This really is "trickle down."
Old Sep 27, 01, 4:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">You need to lighten up there chief. No need to be so rude to people who are only expressing their opinions. We're all allowed to express our opinions here WITHOUT being attacked. If you don't have anything nice to say...........</font>
Scooterino:

What you say is quite true, I expected that I would be able to express my opion WITHOUT being attacked.

If, however you had read the posts, you would realize that I was called an 'idiot' for my opinion - that is what I was responding to. By the way I am not a North American Indian.

------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous
Old Sep 27, 01, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EP
My strategy will be to bring the messiest food I can find onto the plane.
Old Sep 27, 01, 5:42 pm

So no food or snacks on the flights by the flight attendants. Understandable, however this is a perfect opportunity for passengers to begin selling snacks and beverages to one another. It will be tax free and with a good mark up, one can actually earn money back for his/her purchase of the airline ticket. Doritos anyone?
Old Sep 27, 01, 8:59 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
milesforyourmoma: Not if the Captain restricts you to your seat. But then anyone who ever sold peanuts at a baseball park could toss them to the other pax. The money would have to be passed back to you.
As they say in the Bronx, "Peanuts, Peanuts, Getcha Peanuts". Or "It Cudn't Hoit to try".

Let's all lighten up a little bit. Things change.

Search this Thread