American and TWA to Stop Serving Meals in the Main Cabin...

Old Sep 21, 01, 10:10 pm

I feel the same pain of not having meal service in coach. One thing we all need to remember, the world changed after 9/11/01! Forget the perks and/or pleasure (matter of opinion) that airline travel used to be. It's a whole new ball game with new rules and players.

The lack of meal service is just the start. If any airline is going to survive, they need to look at all costs on its balance sheet and make very tough decisions....including FF programs....but that's for another post!
Old Sep 21, 01, 11:27 pm

Does anyone know if pizza warming bags meet the size requirements as a carry on?
Old Sep 22, 01, 12:22 am

Thank you for the update and the link.

It just doesn't make sense that they would specifically include Hawaii in the beginning of the article and then just mention the exception for DFW/HNL service later in the article.

The implication is no food on West Coast to HI flights. Would they really do that?

-David
Old Sep 22, 01, 5:05 am

Programs: Hilton, IHG, Alaska, ANA, JAL
No thankyou - I like to eat. I'll fly Air Canada.
Old Sep 22, 01, 6:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AA AAll the wAAy!!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by davistev:
No thankyou - I like to eat. I'll fly Air Canada.</font>
You never know, AC may follow.

Old Sep 22, 01, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LIH Prem:
Thank you for the update and the link.

It just doesn't make sense that they would specifically include Hawaii in the beginning of the article and then just mention the exception for DFW/HNL service later in the article.

The implication is no food on West Coast to HI flights. Would they really do that?

-David
</font>
I dunno. Remember the article was by a staff writer for the Dallas Morning News, so it's focus is flyers in and out of DFW.

Old Sep 22, 01, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, Mariott Gold
AA's decision is just nuts. This is not the way to lure back nervous flyers or to compete for business travelers. I agree with the comment that this is going to mean the planes are full of detritus from people's take-on meals. Just think of the other thread about "disgusting airline passenger manners" -- FlyerTalk will need a whole new server for that discussion!
Old Sep 22, 01, 10:37 am

How much money would the airlines save if they did away with the already overpaid executives' bonus and cut their salaries?
Old Sep 22, 01, 12:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by swag:
http://www.dallasnews.com/attack_on_...nes_21bus.html

Although coach passengers on Dallas/Fort Worth flights will lose meals in most cases, an exception will be flights to and from Hawaii.

Mr. Burke said the long flights are considered transcontinental service and would continue to serve meals.

American spent $770 million on food and beverage service last year, an average of $7.61 for the 86.2 million American passengers and 14.9 million travelers on American Eagle Airlines Inc. with most of the money spent on the longer American flights.
</font>

Are you trying to say that we do not pay for the food cost as part of our ticket? If you think that, you are really kidding yourself. The airlines certainly do not price their tickets exclusive of the cost of any food served. We pay for any food served as part of the cost of our ticket, whether or not you actually see it. If AA spends an average of $8 per passenger for food, then I expect my fare to go down $8 when I do not receive food service.

AA is making a VERY bad decision by eliminating this service. As so many others have echoed, why on earth would you take away a value-added service at a time when you are trying to attract customers back to your business? This is a ludicrous business decision. I honestly do not see how they think they will save $$ by needing less FA's. Just because they are not serving the food doesn't mean that we aren't going to eat food onboard. They will still need someone to clean up and collect the trash as well as to serve beverages (unless they decide to eliminate those as well!). And at a time when so many of us are scared to get back on a plane, do they really think we'll feel better with LESS FA's????

The decisions they are making right now are very stupid and will determine whether or not they survive after this tragedy.
Old Sep 22, 01, 3:12 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Summer, the reason why i originally wrote what i did is that the meal exclusion list specifically mentioned Hawaii.

What I would like to know is if anyone in AA senior mgmt. will be getting a bonus this year - I hope not. They really do not deserve it.
Old Sep 23, 01, 8:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, AA Gold, UAL Prem
The elimination of food service is related to the airlines attempt to increase safety. Personnel have found knives and box cutters on flights. Limiting access to aircraft reduces the likelihood of people hiding weapons. Two of the men arrested in Detroit for identity fraud, worked for Sky Chef, a company that prepares food for airlines. Security breaks are not limited to screening check points. Wake up, its a new day.
Old Sep 23, 01, 8:54 am

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jukebox:
The elimination of food service is related to the airlines attempt to increase safety. Personnel have found knives and box cutters on flights. Limiting access to aircraft reduces the likelihood of people hiding weapons. Two of the men arrested in Detroit for identity fraud, worked for Sky Chef, a company that prepares food for airlines.
</font>
Jukebox, first of all, welcome to the boards.

You're aware, of course, that SkyChefs also puts the beverage carts on the planes, are you not? Last I heard, those aren't going away.

Trust me, after last week, we're all pretty much awake here. Trust me (and the others here) as well when I tell you that AA's decision to cut meal service has absolutely nothing to do with security, or, for that matter, the events of last week--although AA management is probably very happy to have you believing otherwise.

Old Sep 23, 01, 9:26 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jukebox:
The elimination of food service is related to the airlines attempt to increase safety. </font>
Hi jukebox, welcome to FT.

It seems hard to believe this is about safety, since few of the other airlines are following the same procedure. Further, as others have mentioned, they still have to "cater" the flight, with beverages and food for F (and for the crew, who in theory by contract are entitled to F meals).

[This message has been edited by ka9taw (edited 09-23-2001).]
Old Sep 23, 01, 9:46 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, GP Courtesy Card, Marriott LT Titanium
United is also doing away with meal and snack service on domestic flights less than 950 miles, which would be anything less than 2 hours. I think this makes a bit more sense than AA's policy.....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/007934.html
Old Sep 23, 01, 12:06 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Scooterino:
(snip)
I honestly do not see how they think they will save $$ by needing less FA's. Just because they are not serving the food doesn't mean that we aren't going to eat food onboard. They will still need someone to clean up and collect the trash as well as to serve beverages (unless they decide to eliminate those as well!). And at a time when so many of us are scared to get back on a plane, do they really think we'll feel better with LESS FA's????

The decisions they are making right now are very stupid and will determine whether or not they survive after this tragedy.</font>
Aircraft cleaners spend only a few minutes on the plane while it's at the gate. This will save AA money. That's why they're doing it.

Search this Thread