American and TWA to Stop Serving Meals in the Main Cabin...

Old Sep 20, 01, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
I have enough F upgrade credits to last a long time, especially at the much reduced rate of travel that my employer has imposed. The reduction does lessen the distinction between AA and WN, but with loads as light as they are now, AA has to compete with WN for traffic anyway -- the economic situation in high-tech, at least, has driven people I know who used to be loyal AA customers over to WN.

How much of this is also a ploy also remains to be seen.
Old Sep 20, 01, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
From the standpoint of cutting services, letís all remember that AA was cutting back on meals a week BEFORE the tragedies.

Here is the thread I started at that time:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum71/HTML/005512.html

Old Sep 20, 01, 6:40 pm

YYZ-DEN: Since you consider eating an option, what about going to the bathroom? If AA were to rip out all but one lavatory (make more room for seats) and charge you 50 cents to use would this be a problem?

AA only spends $6 or so per person for meal service on their international flagship service routes. The domestic service with mystery meat is probably under $2 per passenger. The difference between Southwest and AA fares are much greater than this. If AA was serious about saving money they should cut from fatter areas of their company.

By getting rid of meals, AA has much more to loose then gain.
Old Sep 20, 01, 6:42 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
While I realize AA needs to save money, and am truly sorry for them re: last week's tragedies, I do not think it is reasonable to expect someone flying from DFW-HNL to go without food. This is an 8 hr. flight.
Old Sep 20, 01, 6:48 pm

Could this be the death knell for caviar in premium F?
Old Sep 20, 01, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ldsant:
In light of what has occurred in the last 9 days in this country, is this REALLY a priority or worthy or such discussion?

Don't you all have food in your homes or the ability to go to the grocery before or after your flight? So what if it's becoming bare bones? Are you really saying you fly a particular airplane because of the FOOD?! Yes, it's an inconvenience, but IMHO it's really quite a small price to pay based upon what others are going through right now, don't you think?

</font>
First, in terms of all the "in light of what happened last week" posts--

NO ONE on these boards is insensitive for talking about things other than the tragedy itself! EVERYONE in NYC, I am convinced, knows someone (or in the worst cases, lots of people) affected by this gruesome tragedy. But that doesn't mean we should stop living our lives or doing what we do or talking about what we talk about.

You just can't equate a "small price to pay" to the extent that airline meals are being cut with "compared to what others are going through."

It's apples to oranges! (NO pun intended, I swear.) NOTHING can be compared to what those folks are going through. NOTHING. No words can describe the pain they must be feeling now. But does that mean life can't go on? Does it mean we can't offer our feedback on what may very well be a flawed policy? Why?

Isn't that what freedom is all about? It's not as if we're criticizing an airline's efforts to save lives, or enhance safety. They're trying to save money, plain and simple, and it's fair game to speak out on.

I don't think you saw ANYONE on these boards, on TV, in the papers, or anywhere criticizing the new security procedures as laborious or annoying.

But take away my breakfast combination platter?

As most of us well know, when you've read the same da*n copy of AmericanWay for the fifth time, even lousy food is a welcome break from the monotony.
Old Sep 20, 01, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We've often complained about airplane food, so now people are saying it's okay to take it away since it's bad anyway.

I disagree. If the food is bad, then they need to improve it, or give us a discount in the ticket price so we can buy our own food.
Removing meal service just seems to be a cost-saving measure benefiting the airline by using the current circumstances as an excuse.
Old Sep 20, 01, 7:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
I have taken over 1000 flights on AA alone. Probably at least 250 of those were transcon. I can't say how much of that was just because I like to fly. However, I can say that if I didn't like to fly, I probably would not have taken 90% of those flights.

Food is part of what makes the flight pleasant, for me. Ability to take my computer or a book is part of what makes it pleasant. The ability to get there faster than driving or the train (after taking into account check-in time, luggage claim time, travel to remote lot for rental car, etc.) is part of what makes it pleasant.

What happened last week is horrendous. The resulting financial situation for the airlines (and, as a result, for the cruise lines, hotels, tourist attractions, and, as a result, the rest of us) is likely to be terrible.

I think that this announcement (no meals in coach) is like many others we will hear in the next 60 days - an unfortunate public relations decision which is likely to make the financial situation worse, instead of better.

[This message has been edited by sbrower (edited 09-20-2001).]
Old Sep 20, 01, 7:44 pm

Programs: No status anymore. Former CO PLT, NW PLT, AS MVP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tango:
YYZ-DEN: Since you consider eating an option, what about going to the bathroom? If AA were to rip out all but one lavatory (make more room for seats) and charge you 50 cents to use would this be a problem?</font>
Don't be silly. All you have to do is bring aboard your own personal travel toilet (you can get those from camping suppliers). And besides, they wouldn't charge you for the one remaining lavatory anyway. They'd keep the one in FC and allow only FC pax to use it!

Old Sep 20, 01, 8:09 pm

Location: Dallas, Texas USA; AA PLT, AA 1MM+; US Gold; Marriott PLT+
IMHO, this is about the stupidest thing to ever come from any business allegedly providing customer service, much less first class service. I agree with Tango, by getting rid of meals (or any other service), AA has MUCH more to lose than to gain.

When customers are leaving, the wise thing to do is NOT to reduce service, but to increase it. Someone needs to explain basic marketing to Don Carty.

And by the way, just what is a "beverage accompaniment"? Is that the PC term for peanut?

This decision to eliminate meal service is a bad decision, especially for the FT's who consistently provide airline revenues....
Old Sep 20, 01, 8:14 pm

In a thread I posted a short while ago, here are some food costs on some airlines:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
U.S. Air spends $3.04
TWA spends $3.41.
Delta spends $4.10
Continental and Northwest spend just over $4.80
United spends $7.53.
American spends $8.00.
And the big spender, Midwest Express drops $10.05 per passenger!!
</font>
The thread was http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttravel_forum/Forum11/HTML/006097.html

[This message has been edited by FlyByMike (edited 09-20-2001).]
Old Sep 20, 01, 9:37 pm

Let me get this straight ...

SFO/JFK .. food
SJC/NYC .. food?

DFW/HNL .. no food?

What are AA's other HI routes? Food or no food?

-David
Old Sep 20, 01, 10:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LIH Prem:
Let me get this straight ...

SFO/JFK .. food
SJC/NYC .. food?

DFW/HNL .. no food?

What are AA's other HI routes? Food or no food?

-David
</font>
IF they pulled of Food from HNL..i guess there will be alot of hungry folks from the flight!

------------------
Albert
Old Sep 20, 01, 11:08 pm

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
Getting in to this kind of late, but was nonetheless surprised that no one had mentioned this yet, although techgirl touched on it, and her previous thread serves to call AA's bluff on this (the italics are mine for emphasis):

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LoveHateUA:
``We remain steadfast in our commitment to provide the public with the best travel experience in the industry,'' Gunn said, ``but we simply cannot ignore the new operating realities that have risen from last week's tragic events.''
</font>
What a load of bulls**t.

Seconding all the other disclaimers about how what happened was a terrible tragedy, etc. etc. etc., but AA was in rough financial before any of this happened. It really ticks me off how shameless they are about using this as an excuse.
Old Sep 21, 01, 2:07 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tango:
YYZ-DEN: Since you consider eating an option, what about going to the bathroom? If AA were to rip out all but one lavatory (make more room for seats) and charge you 50 cents to use would this be a problem?</font>
Is the 50 cents going towards the revenue they lose from not having a seat in the space where the lavatory is or does it go towards the cost of the newspaper they give you on the way in to the lavatory?

Search this Thread