Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major business fare cuts by UAL. AA to follow?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2001, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Major business fare cuts by UAL. AA to follow?

Wall Street Journal
To combat the anemic traffic, UAL Corp.'s United Airlines said last night it is cutting business fares through year-end by 25% to 50%, without a Saturday night stay.

http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/...5238274120.htm

IP:
Old Oct 2, 2001, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
funny that they did this, because right about the same time, they raised the "discounted" corporate rate they give my company by 30%. UA is no longer a preferred carrier of my very very large company. Not smart.
Old Oct 2, 2001, 4:41 pm

Location: Coppell, Tx AA EXP, AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
VicOsaki -

The answer to the question you posed in your "Subject" title is - NO, HELL NO!

That is very plainly put, but I am furious about the fact (IMHO) that AA is just telling us a bunch of LIES about how poor they are. If they are so "poor" and "hurting" so badly, you would think they would get out and compete with the other majors.

That are NOT doing so - read the new "subject" from erieman that I found just above yours. I have been checking Orbitz every day for a comparison on routes I have coming up and I do NOT see AA as being competitive at all!

I am NOT holding my breath for AA.

dAAvid -

ps - see my subject thread in OMNI on this subject, last posted to on 30-Sept.

pps - on my flt to BOS last Sunday here are the Load figures from the FAs:
First class - 13 out of 14 seats full
Coach class - 109 out of 113 seats full.
that is a 96+% load factor. Actual counts, NOT my guesstimate! That's is why they are RAISING prices while "poor" mouthing Congress for TAX dollars! Yeah, Sure!

[This message has been edited by AA SLF (edited 10-02-2001).]
Old Oct 3, 2001, 6:37 am

Airlines Match United's Fare Cuts

Major airlines stepped up their mix of incentives to get briefcases back on planes, cutting business fares, boosting mileage awards and lowering the bar for purchasing domestic tickets with frequent-flier miles.

Several carriers, including AMR Corp.'s American Airlines, Continental Airlines and US Airways Group Inc., matched a sale launched by UAL Corp.'s United Airlines, offering business fares at half-price with a 21-day advance purchase, and a 25% discount with a 10-day advance buy. The sale waives Saturday-night stay requirements for travel through year's end.

Northwest Airlines fired back by claiming its "BizFlex" fares, which have been in place since last February, are still a better deal. Northwest offers a 50% discount off full-fare prices with 14 days' advance purchase, and a 40% discount with 10 days' advance purchase. Delta Air Lines also continues to offer the reduced business fares it had in place prior to Sept. 11.

American upped the ante by offering double frequent-flier miles through Nov. 15. The nation's largest carrier also matched a Sept. 28 Delta Air Lines promotion on frequent-flier awards, offering a coach-class ticket for travel in the continental U.S. and Canada this fall for 15,000 frequent-flier miles, instead of the usual 25,000 miles.

http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/...8702625880.htm
Old Oct 3, 2001, 4:47 pm

Are these cuts for coach tickets only?

My usual tickets: Purchased far in advance, unlikely to change dates or routing, mix of international and domestic, often with Saturday night stayover (domestic), but consistently booked in premium classes. Initial experimentation at aa.com suggests no fare cuts for the trips I'm currently anticipating??? That sound right to people?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.