Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Flight Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2001, 6:59 pm

Question .... If business is so bad where are the air fare sales ???? Isn't someone paying some thing better than the doors closing on a plane with mucho empty seats???

My travel routes ORD-HNL and ORD -LHR have the same price today as before 9-11.
Is this the case of wealthy airline managers putting out a worst case to get the 5$ bil package ?
Old Sep 22, 2001, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
SJCSuzy....thanks for the info.

Do you drive a RAV 4?
Old Sep 22, 2001, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I have flown ORD-ARN several times when in J. Part of the reason that loads in J are so good is that a westbound discounted J is often the same price as an eastbound full Y. When I flew it last September, it was $1350 westbound for J (D class inventory).

Now, the best way to get to Scandinavia on AA is probably to fly to MAN (avoiding the chaos of LHR) and transfer to BA.

What's left transatlantic other than LON/CDG? ORD-MAN (still feeding BA), MIA-MAD (how much longer for that one?), ORD-BRU, and ORD-FRA. Anything else?
Old Sep 22, 2001, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

hedoman-you're welcome and I drive a Subaru.

Suzy
Old Sep 23, 2001, 11:49 am

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
I was booked on the SJC-TPE flights in late November, and have found that there aren't a lot of good alternatives for re-booking. In fact, there aren't any good alternatives, especially if I want to stay in C (upgrade award)

There is an EVA codeshare flight to Taipei, which would require a re-route through either SFO or LAX, and would mean no upgrade. No thanks.

The other option is to fly SJC-NRT, assuming that it's still operating by then, and then take one of AA's partners onwards to TPE. Problem is that all of the NRT flights, from SJC, SEA, DFW and ORD get into NRT around 4PM, and the last "partner" flight, on Japan Asia to TPE, leaves at 415. According to the Plat Desk, new regulations require one to go through customs at each country, so no more "sterile transit" areas, and a 2 hour connecting time. I found this strange- I know about the customs at first point of entry in the US, but never have heard of it for international flights. The next Japan Asia flight to TPE isn't until the following morning, and AA isn't willing to pay for the hotel...there is a NW flight leaving around 6pm, but they won't book it since there's no ticketing agreement w/ AA. EVA, which is another AA partner, flies out of Haneda, not Narita, and Cathay goes through Hong Kong...

Since I only had a few days planned in TPE anyways, losing another day isn't really a palatable option either. I'm not sure what to do. Maybe I'll just cancel the whole thing and book a Singapore award ticket through SFO to TPE using UA miles instead.

Anyone else have experience trying to re-book for the cancelled TPE flight yet? Guess this is one area where AA's weak Asian route structure really hurts us.
Old Sep 23, 2001, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by socalterp:
...there is a NW flight leaving around 6pm, but they won't book it since there's no ticketing agreement w/ AA.</font>
Try calling back. AA does have ticketing agreement with NW, assuming taking NW is an acceptable option.
Old Sep 23, 2001, 2:41 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
ElmhurstNick, MIA-MAD is one of AA's single most profitable and important routes. Not only does it feed AA's Central American flights (as well as Iberia flights. Iberia has a hub in Miami and codeshares with AA for a total of three daily flights, soon to be four), but the ties between Miami and Madrid are huge. That's why the flight was moved to Miami from Dallas. Iberia is rumoured to be planning on leasing two A380s from IFLC to use on MIA-MAD. In fact, with all the extra 777s AA is going to have, look for MIA-MAD, as well as MIA-CDG, to go 777 within six months.
Old Sep 23, 2001, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by socalterp:
...there aren't a lot of good alternatives for re-booking. In fact, there aren't any good alternatives, especially if I want to stay in C (upgrade award)

Anyone else have experience trying to re-book for the cancelled TPE flight yet? Guess this is one area where AA's weak Asian route structure really hurts us.
</font>
I spent (no kidding) an hour and forty-one minutes on the phone yesterday with the Platinum Desk trying to rebook mine with zero luck. It wasn't their fault, either - I had one of RDU's finest gals working on it with me.

I faced the exact same dilemnas - no way to same day connect in TPE, no ability to creatively reroute given 1. the fare rules for the original reservation, 2. my desire to upgrade, and 3. my need to only take one day off from work.

I'm going to continue to work on it and see what I can accomplish, but also fear I will end up just getting a refund issued.

Meanwhile, I'll keep checking Flyer Talk and hoping someone else finds a creative solution I can use as a precedent.
Old Sep 23, 2001, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
... and to make matters worse, the cancelled routes are still loaded in the system so when I try to work this out on Travelocity, they keep pulling up!
Old Sep 23, 2001, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
To add to my frustrations on the TPE cancellation, the onward segment from NRT would be in Y. As it would not be a flight on AA metal, apparently my award upgrade does not hold. While much shorter than the Transpacific portion, NRT-TPE isn't exactly a short flight either, and the thought of 3-4 hours in Y after a 10+ hour flight to NRT just isn't all that appealing.

I only have a connecting problem on the outbound. I'd even take Eva, if they would rebook me in business, out of SFO.
Old Sep 23, 2001, 9:12 pm

It's interesting that DFW would lose ALL flights to London. You'd think we would have more than enough passengers & cargo to support at least one.
Old Sep 23, 2001, 11:15 pm
In Memoriam

I had a very cooperative CSR tonight trying to figure out a way home for me from TPE on 9 October. Only reasonable alternative was an EVA codeshare that I could not upgrade.

As I was actually flying back to TPE from SIN to take AA150, I ended up going SIN to KIX to take AA158 to DFW and then home to PBI. After much discussion and persuasive work by the CSR, the powers that be waived the normal 100 mile limit on the alternate airport proximity and allowed the same fare that I had to be valid from KIX. As this is an AA metal flight I also could upgrade to BC.

I have to give a lot of credit to this CSR as he really went to bat for me to redo my entire itinerary and keep all the upgrades. I originally had MIA-SEA-JFK-TPE-SJC-DFW-PBI and now am going FLL-DFW-SJC-TPE//KIX-DFW-PBI.
Old Sep 23, 2001, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think I'll have to take the Eva codeshare for my Oct. flight, because there doesn't seem to be any way to go from TPE back to BOS other than on Eva.

Will AA allow a route like BOX-NRT-TPE-LAX-BOS? Because for the outbound leg, I could do BOS-NRT on AA and NRT-TPE on CX. That way I can at least upgrade the outbound leg, and do Eva for the return leg.
Old Sep 24, 2001, 8:29 am

Location: I have embarrasingly little status but my wife thinks I am great
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by summerdawn:
It's interesting that DFW would lose ALL flights to London. You'd think we would have more than enough passengers & cargo to support at least one.</font>
It might make sense if they were pulling out of LGW alltogether as there could be significant savings from cutting a local operation 35 miles from their enormous LHR op. However, I think it will be a while before we can all make sense of these changes

Old Sep 24, 2001, 9:01 am

We all know that we can't upgrade on AA code shares (this is a big draw back with AA), but for those of you who have not flown on AA code shares with Eva. Beware. You may be tempted to buy a Business class ticket which you may or may not get at a good price. DO NOT do IT- at 44" of pitch in Biz, I'll never go that way.

Best thing to do is either take MH or SQ to TPE or pony up a little more and take EVA's Evergreen Deluxe (Their deluze coach class)However I am not sure that you can buy this a AA ticket Or another option is to buy a Y or Y2 fare from CX, use your AA miles to upgrade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.