Planning to miss a flt, what happens?

Old Sep 27, 2001, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
Planning to miss a flt, what happens?

A meeting of mine at LAX has now been changed so now it will end after my return flt departs. What happens if I don't change the res and just show up at the airport?
Old Sep 27, 2001, 12:48 am

Show up and explain to them that you've missed your flight, and ask if you can fly standby for another flight. Where are you flying to? Look up the schedules and have some flight numbers handy. You might have to go to the principal's office for being tardy though. Your parents won't like that.

Are you serious, or pulling our leg? If you are, then my apologies for the sarcasm.

------------------
preez mine da pratform gahp.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 1:11 am

good to let AA know ahead of time you'll miss the flight, then you're allowed to stand by for any flights later the same day that get you home.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Depends in part what your fare class is, and how flexible your ticket is. As well as how much advanced notice you've had of the change.

But common courtesy would suggest calling AA and making a legitimate change, even if a fee is required. Otherwise, having missed your flight on a discounted ticket could render it valueless. Thought it is unlikely AA will take such a position, it is by twisting the rules over the years that the airlines have gotten themselves into the financial mess they found themselves in, even before the events of Sept. 11th. If you buy a full fare ticket, you buy flexibility for last minute changes. You pay for that privilege. If you buy a discounted ticket, you get specific times and dates for your flight, and you save accordingly. So I would have no concern if a change fee were charged on a discounted ticket, should it become necessary to take an earier flight. Some discount fares permit standby on earlier flights for no charge, others do not.

I think the airlines have become too lenient about some of these things, and end up subsidizing your company for the privilege of changes you employer should otherwise be paying for.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
If you show up at the airport inside some window (2 hours?) of when you were originally scheduled to leave, you can stand by for the next flight with no penalty on any type of ticket.

I was in this situation this past spring. I called the AA Executive Desk. They told me the next flight was empty, that they could confirm me on it for a $100 change fee, or that I could show up late and get on it for no extra charge. They didn't quite say I'd be crazy to pay - their calls are recorded and management reviews some of them - but the message was clear. Wby pay when you don't have to?

Beyond that window, it probably makes sense to rebook, though if the flights are empty (most are these days) showing up at the airport and throwing yourself on their mercy might work. Worst case, you'll pay the change fee then rather than earlier. I'd still call ahead to make sure that they won't cancel your ticket completely. I don't think they would, but lots of things are different right now.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
I think the airlines have become too lenient about some of these things, and end up subsidizing your company for the privilege of changes you employer should otherwise be paying for.</font>
Interesting and true point.

I'm (as always) flying on a N class ticket because my company has negotiated discounts with AA. The real reason I don't won't to bother with changing my ticket is becuase this will be the third time I've had to change it and it may have to be changed again. (First two trips I cancelled and rebooked) I'm not trying to deprive AA of any revenue & I routinely pay the $100 change fee without any b*tching. Maybe that should be a frown.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.