FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   International Flight Cancellations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/148480-international-flight-cancellations.html)

dkerr Sep 24, 2001 10:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kovich:
It might make sense if they were pulling out of LGW alltogether as there could be significant savings from cutting a local operation 35 miles from their enormous LHR op. However, I think it will be a while before we can all make sense of these changes

</font>

DFW is not losing all flights to LGW... It's going from two flights daily to one flight. Currently there is AA50/51 and AA78/79. One is being cancelled -- but which one varies by date.

PAUL PALMER Sep 24, 2001 11:29 am

yes it is true. AA51 is cancelled on Nov 22. I asked to be re-routed to TPA via ORD as that is the only valid connection now. Done without a murmur.

ryker Sep 24, 2001 11:58 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dkerr:

DFW is not losing all flights to LGW... It's going from two flights daily to one flight. Currently there is AA50/51 and AA78/79. One is being cancelled -- but which one varies by date.
</font>
This is exactly what I have been told today.

I had reservations in November for LGW-DFW FL 79. This flight does still exist on the day I travel. However, on my return trip, DFW-LGW, I suspected that FL 78 had been cancelled on the date I fly in November. I have been able to rebook onto FL 50 but not without difficulty.

I had tried to find out which flight was going to be dropped on what day but staff at AA genuinely did not seem to know. On Saturday and Sunday I noticed that certain flights on this route were missing from the web site. I called AA again (Sunday) and was told that my flights were still valid so no rebooking. Over the weekend and again today, I printed the seat maps for DFW-LGW FL78 and FL50 and found that vacant seats were appearing on 78 and filling up on 50. I called again and told them what I had noticed and have now been rebooked to FL50.

I was told that it is not up to the airline to let passengers know when a flight has been cancelled. The agent said it was the passengers responsibility. I have no idea if that is correct or not. If I had not seen the post from SJCSuzy on the 21st I probably would not have called.

Thanks, SJCSuzy, I am indebted to you.

Plato90s Sep 24, 2001 12:29 pm

Well, thanks to a very helpful Platinum desk, I'm re-scheduled now for my TPE trip in mid-October.

They were able to put me on BOS-SEA-NRT on AA metal and NRT-TPE on CX. Return via BOS-LAX on Eva codeshare and LAX-BOS on the redeye. 7 hours in LAX, which might be just right for me to get out of the airport for a while.

Overall, I'm pretty happy at how quickly and smoothly AA was able to protect me on different flights. I'm going to miss SJC-TPE, though.

tcoupar Sep 24, 2001 12:50 pm

Seasonal service ORD-GLA always VERY full!!

JIMCHI Sep 24, 2001 5:29 pm

No more word from Suzy about domestic cancellations??

AAdvantageGuy Sep 24, 2001 8:35 pm

Just confirmed my Oct 4th TPE run.

No problems.

DFW-LGA-KIX-TPE-KIX-LGA-DFW.

Confirmed on AA Metal except KIX-TPE-KIX

Outstanding job to AA Reservations!

Plato90s Sep 24, 2001 9:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">DFW-LGA-KIX-TPE-KIX-LGA-DFW.

</font>
Interesting! I wasn't offered the KIX option on the TPE-BOS return leg. Is KIX-TPE-KIX an AA codeshare or is it just a straight Eva flight?

I might want to call AA back and have them change it. I really don't want to fly a 747 for the transpacific route. No power port.

socalterp Sep 24, 2001 9:54 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAdvantageGuy:
Just confirmed my Oct 4th TPE run.

No problems.

DFW-LGA-KIX-TPE-KIX-LGA-DFW.

</font>

Are you able to fly "same day" from KIX-TPE? From what I have found, there aren't any connecting flights from KIX-TPE after the AA flight from DFW gets in.

Sadly, I think I'm resigning myself to UA out of SFO. Obviously would rather take SQ, but no award seats left on them.

greggwiggins Sep 25, 2001 10:00 am

I'm also waiting for domestic cancellation information, also known as waiting for the proverbial other shoe to drop on the symbolic floor.

My secret-sleep-sofa-in-the-sky is gonna be among the cuts that I'm expecting and dreading. That would be AA#290, the redeye 757 from SJC to JFK that was already almost always empty enough to allow every passenger three seats to stretch across and snooze. Add in an Eagle flight from JFK to Washington and a connecting flight from someplace else on the west coast like San Diego or Seattle and it was one of the best ways I'd found to earn some extra miles at no extra cost while travelling far more comfortably than on the usually-full 767 redeyes from LA or by changing at 5:00am in Chicago or DFW.

Lindsy Sep 25, 2001 10:38 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hillrider:
It looks like that ORD-MXP is gone too -- availability has been zeroed out from 31OCT onwards. Gulp.</font>
Hillrider, I noticed that, topo, but if you play on the website with spring dates, it reappears. It seems to me they must be making it seasonal, like the FCO flight.

SK Sep 25, 2001 12:09 pm

Only the Rome route will reappear in the spring. The Milan route is cancelled. The story from Reuters, as reported by Yahoo:
http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/010925/1091675_1.html

American Airlines to cut Italy flights Nov 1

ROME, Sept 25 (Reuters) - American Airlines (NYSE:AMR - news) will discontinue its two daily flights between North America and Italy on November 1, a spokesman told Reuters on Tuesday.

The carrier currently operates daily B767-300 flights between Chicago and Milan and Chicago and Rome.

While the Milan service is to be cancelled, the spokesman said American Airlines planned to suspend the Rome flight, relaunching it on May 2, 2002.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Lindsy:
Hillrider, I noticed that, topo, but if you play on the website with spring dates, it reappears. It seems to me they must be making it seasonal, like the FCO flight.</font>

PresRDC Sep 25, 2001 12:23 pm

Hi All,

I was booked on AA 80/81 ORD-ARN-ORD for March 8 and the 12. I called AA last night (the AAdvantage line) and was switched to the AA ORD-MAN and the AA codeshare with Finnair on the MAN-ARN route. I was able to keep my 25PP upgrade on both flights.

Also, since AA cancelled flights 66 and 90 (ORD-LHR-ORD), I was changed to AA 86/87 and I was able to keep my upgrade from full fare economy. The agent was great, she even took a revenue J class seat and gave it to me on AA 87.

So far, I have had nothing but great service from AA responding to this crisis.

Lindsy Sep 25, 2001 4:07 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SK:
[B]
Only the Rome route will reappear in the spring. The Milan route is cancelled.

Right you are, SK! Yesterday the website let me "travel plan" for May, but not today. (I am not a happy camper.)

Meanwhile, I wonder when AA.com is going to get back to showing non-AA flights (for instance, those that go onward to Italy from the few places in Europe AA still Does fly.)

delacpa Sep 25, 2001 5:53 pm

FINALLY!! Got "official" confirmation (after three days of calling as the flight no longer appears on schedule but res kept asuring me it would operate) that AA #50 (DFW/LGW) is cancelled -- AA #78 is now the only one available.

Question: Does this entitle me to a full refund from AA or just their portion (we had connecting flights on BA which cannot be guaranteed as going)?

Thanks for any reply & sorry if this is bad news for those of you who have helped me so much in the past.