Wiki Posts
Search

Why I fly AA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP
Why I fly AA

In March I took a JFK/ORD/LAS/LAX/JFK flight where on the JFK/ORD leg I paid for a preferred seat, but didn't get it because I got upgraded, and actually totally forgot that I paid extra for a seat I didn't get.

Well, I just got an email saying the money has been refunded. Out of the blue.

Wow. That is good work on their part.

This, and many other things that people consider "trivial", but actually make a difference, is why I choose AA over others.

Kudos.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
You paid for a preferred seat as a PLT?

How were you upgraded? Op up?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
and how would you even do that ? PLT status would get you the preferred seat for free, AA.com wouldn't bring up a pay window since it knows the preferred seat is free to PLT.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by relberger
In March I took a JFK/ORD/LAS/LAX/JFK flight where on the JFK/ORD leg I paid for a preferred seat, but didn't get it because I got upgraded, and actually totally forgot that I paid extra for a seat I didn't get.

This, and many other things that people consider "trivial", but actually make a difference, is why I choose AA over others.

Kudos.
I am really puzzled at the "wow" and kudos given to a company for refunding money owed to a customer. ??

Since you said it...you are right, it does seem trivial. We choose to fly AA for many other reasons having to do with destinations, AAdvantage benefits, etc. Is AA the only carrier that gives refunds to customers when they are owed? That would be something to know about.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by ehallison
I am really puzzled at the "wow" and kudos given to a company for refunding money owed to a customer. ??

Since you said it...you are right, it does seem trivial. We choose to fly AA for many other reasons having to do with destinations, AAdvantage benefits, etc. Is AA the only carrier that gives refunds to customers when they are owed? That would be something to know about.
Anecdotal fact: United didn't automatically refund the E+ payment for my parents when they got upgraded...
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Anecdotal fact: United didn't automatically refund the E+ payment for my parents when they got upgraded...
Did your parents get their refund?

I concur that it was a nice thing for AA to do (refund automatically), but I'm still baffled that it merits a "why I fly AA" post.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref

Kudos.
I fly AA b/c of the upgrade part, not the part where they give me the money they owe me
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:34 pm
Suspended

The airline competition I believe is the best it has ever been in the USA.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Of course not, UA is out to steal from the customers they consider an inconvenience in the first place.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by adamj023
The airline competition I believe is the best it has ever been in the USA.
Funny, I was considering posting that the quality of the competition is why I fly AA, but wouldn't call that quality "best", good or high.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

Kudos.
Can you explain how you are PLT and paid for a preferred seat?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

How were you upgraded? Op up?
I used 500 mile upgrade.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
I used 500 mile upgrade.
But how did you manage to pay for a preferred seat as a PLT in the first place?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

But how did you manage to pay for a preferred seat as a PLT in the first place?
It was a timing thing. I was on Plat challenge when I booked the ticket. I had received it by the time I took the flight, and the day of flight I used 500 mile upgrade. I was pretty excited that I had just made it (I know some of you might roll your eyes at that) but jumped at the chance.

Bottom line is I was just pleasantly surprised that they wrapped back around to refund me.

I used to be one of those guys that spread flights across the carrier spectrum but I got tired of flying so much and not getting above basic status of anything. So since I fly to Australia on Qantas (yeah, I even spread points between AA and QF -- I did that for over two years -- just ignorance), and after reading, I just centered on AA and AA marketed flights on the correct class of service. Been happy ever since (and now I am only 25k EQM away from Exec Plat after 6 months
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
I made a booking over the phone to use a companion cert and I added the booking to my AA number. The booking didn't "recognize" that I was elite even though it was in my account, so it'd prompt me to pay for preferred/MCE. However, I found out I just had to add my AA number to the booking directly, despite it already being under/associated with my account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.