International gateway

 
Old Jul 3, 13, 12:47 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 140
International gateway

If i booked ord to auh biz class as on award and a hkg to ord 1st as an award can i add now a oneway international gateway award to each maybe go to hnl free or maybe half way. What are the restrictions since i already booked. Sorry if this is dumb just trying to fig it out. As described here http://milevalue.com/a-list-of-all-p...vantage-miles/
ghzhammer is offline  
Old Jul 3, 13, 12:51 am
  #2  
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,831
Adding HNL will likely throw these past the MPM. But a connection to the west or east coast would work.

If the award trip is all AA metal the MPM limits are more relaxed. When partners are included there is a more strict adherence to the MPM limits on award travel.
HNL is offline  
Old Jul 3, 13, 12:54 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 140
I'm flying on etihad and cathay pacific. I was also thinking of flying nrt to hkg and doing a 23 hour stopover in bkk, any thoughts and can i just add nyc any time in the next year then if i call and add on.
ghzhammer is offline  
Old Jul 3, 13, 1:02 am
  #4  
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,831
Originally Posted by ghzhammer View Post
I'm flying on etihad and cathay pacific. I was also thinking of flying nrt to hkg and doing a 23 hour stopover in bkk, any thoughts and can i just add nyc any time in the next year then if i call and add on.
Now you have thrown NRT and BKK to the mix. That is very likely to change the calculations. What is you actual proposed itinerary?

If you are simply doing a BKK-HKG-ORD then yes adding a NYC segment after a stop over will not be a problem.
HNL is offline  
Old Jul 3, 13, 1:10 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 140
All awards are separate,
ORD to AUH 5 days/ AUH to NRT 6 days/ NRT to HKG 5 days/ HKG to ORD no connections of layovers all direct flights.
ghzhammer is offline  
Old Jul 3, 13, 1:17 am
  #6  
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,831
Originally Posted by ghzhammer View Post
All awards are separate,
ORD to AUH 5 days/ AUH to NRT 6 days/ NRT to HKG 5 days/ HKG to ORD no connections of layovers all direct flights.
On the HKG-ORD award - you can easily add a NYC leg after an ORD stopover.

I've successfully booked a HKG-JFK stopover JFK-SFO award flight on CX/AA

For the NRT-HKG you should be able to route that via BKK on a combination of JL and CX with a sub 24 hour connection in BKK.

For all of these do your research in advance and tell the agents what flights to search. You will get better results.
HNL is offline  
Old Jul 3, 13, 1:17 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 19,655
Originally Posted by HNL View Post
Now you have thrown NRT and BKK to the mix. That is very likely to change the calculations. What is you actual proposed itinerary?

If you are simply doing a BKK-HKG-ORD then yes adding a NYC segment after a stop over will not be a problem.
OP might even go to SJU.
I had a BKK-HKG-SFO (stopover for months)-MIA-SJU once on a First Class milesaaver.
mvoight is offline  
Old Jul 3, 13, 1:24 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 140
I have already booked awards tho is this an issue or no and sju sounds good to me. and thinking on bkk i have never been outside the US so i want to see a lot but enjoy it too.i feel its a good start and looking forward to cx 1st
ghzhammer is offline  
Old Jul 3, 13, 6:05 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 19,655
Originally Posted by ghzhammer View Post
I have already booked awards tho is this an issue or no and sju sounds good to me. and thinking on bkk i have never been outside the US so i want to see a lot but enjoy it too.i feel its a good start and looking forward to cx 1st
Yes, free changes to dates, not cities, so if you are not EXP, this may be an issue
mvoight is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: