Search

Airfare to Capetown, South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Airfare to Capetown, South Africa

Hello all,

I was searching for flights to Cape Town, SA with a departure date of 7 January and return 25 January. AA's fare is ~$4600, which is approximately $2600 more than other domestic airlines (Delta/United). The lowest fare offered by AA is refundable economy. Even BA is cheaper than AA (even though BA is the carrier from LHR to CPT for the AA codeshare). I've flown AA to SA last year and paid approximately $1900. Any thoughts about why AA so much higher?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Can you give us your starting destination please? There could be several possible reasons why this could be the case. And it is not unheard of for the operating airline to have more access to its avialibility and therefore, easier for it to offer the passenger a cheaper rate. AA and BA update their revenue booking systems every two hours.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Right, sorry about that. My home airport is Columbus, Ohio (CMH). On a side note, I also have to fly to Sydney after the South Africa trip and looked at a multi-city routing rather than flying round trip to SA. The route CMH - CPT - SYD - CMH (layovers are not included) works out to $4700. The airlines involved are US Air (CMH to PHL), AA codeshare on BA (PHL - LHR - CPT), Emirates (CPT - MEL), and AA codeshare on Quantas (MEL - SYD), (SYD - DFW), and finally AA. Could either end up being an exceptional trip!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:14 pm

BA will haul you from BRU to CPT and back in coach on your dates for GBP665 r/t a/i, around $1035. Booking code is QNCEUR. How cheaply can you get yourself to Brussels and back? [Answering my own question, about USD1000, on many carriers. Even AA isn't much above that. But I didn't bother to coordinate the two tickets, just used the same dates, so things might change when you actually pick flights that connect at BRU, but likely you'll be able to do the deed for about $2050 with a bit of cnx flexibility.]

Last edited by JohnAx; Jul 1, 2013 at 4:23 pm
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The volume of rules regarding 'Round the World (RTW) air fares are non-trivial but AA has some great people in a specially-staffed RTW desk. You have the makings of a great AA/British Airways/Qantas RTW ticket. Are you sure you don't want to do something in Hong Kong, Japan, or Honolulu on the way back? See some colleagues in Pasadena?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The volume of rules regarding 'Round the World (RTW) air fares are non-trivial but AA has some great people in a specially-staffed RTW desk. You have the makings of a great AA/British Airways/Qantas RTW ticket. Are you sure you don't want to do something in Hong Kong, Japan, or Honolulu on the way back? See some colleagues in Pasadena?
Which will cost the OP $6099, plus taxes and fuel surcharges, for a coach oneworld explorer ticket (LONE5) or $12299, plus taxes and fuel surcharges, for business oneworld explorer ticket (DONE5) if starting in the US.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by lizardprof
Hello all,

I was searching for flights to Cape Town, SA with a departure date of 7 January and return 25 January. AA's fare is ~$4600, which is approximately $2600 more than other domestic airlines (Delta/United). The lowest fare offered by AA is refundable economy. Even BA is cheaper than AA (even though BA is the carrier from LHR to CPT for the AA codeshare). I've flown AA to SA last year and paid approximately $1900. Any thoughts about why AA so much higher?
Interesting.. CMH to JFK to LHR to CPT (and return) is over $4600
However, it is $1100 less JFK-LHR-CPT (and return)... The fare for Jan 7 to 25 is $3506.. I imagine you can find a way to get to JFK for a lot less than $1100. LHR to CPT is $3953 by itself when booked on aa.com, so the $4600 fare from CMH seems like a bargain
Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. They've been extremely helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.