Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced to check rolling bag even though there was still room

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2.5MM National EE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/27.0.1453.10 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

ORD was a zoo today. I had 3 hours of delays going into Chicago today and three more hours od delays getting home tonite... Anyway my flight was canceled. The AC advised me to standby for an earlier flight that didn't leave yet. Eventhough the standby list was a mile long I went to number one. The GA gave me my boarding pass an then asked if I had a rolling bag? I said yes. She then said I have to gate check it and it would be at the bag claim at my final destination! I said why can't I carry it on? She answered the flight is so full there is no room.
Now at that time they were still boarding priority so there was plenty of room... I assume she ment a standby passenger shouldn't get the overhear space before a confirmed passenger!
If I wasn't so tired and didn't need to make that flight I probably would have questioned further.

Anyway is that AA policy or the GA trying to keep things "fair"?

Last edited by hotdogs; Jun 26, 2013 at 11:09 pm
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Did your bag arrive on time?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
$hit happens.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:57 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Smile, nod, remove tag in jet bridge, board with bag.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
GA is trying to get a late flight out on time. If there turns out to be insufficient room for bags, that delays things. So s/he is being pro-active.

The previous piece of advise can also cause delays - if the # of bags loaded doesn't match expectations (# of bag tags issued), weight and balance may need to be recalculated.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BStrauss3
The previous piece of advise can also cause delays - if the # of bags loaded doesn't match expectations (# of bag tags issued), weight and balance may need to be recalculated.
Really?

I've never noticed the GA tracking the number of tags issued, I had thought that was down to the guys actually loading the bags to provide the count?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
+1
Same philosophy of call back if you get an answer you don't like!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:24 pm

I've had to gatecheck my bag when I've boarded late a few times (my own fault really), but they brought it up to the jetway for me. That was actually kind of convenient. But at the end of the day I wouldn't complain too much, at least you got on the flight and eventually got your bag.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pinned
I've had to gatecheck my bag when I've boarded late a few times (my own fault really), but they brought it up to the jetway for me. That was actually kind of convenient. But at the end of the day I wouldn't complain too much, at least you got on the flight and eventually got your bag.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Gate-checked bags are not generally returned to the jetbridge when you deplane; typically, they're sent to baggage claim, and that can be a real PITA.

Perhaps you're thinking of valet-checked carryons on Eagle flights? On most Eagle flights, rolling bags are valet-checked either planeside or on the jetbridge and returned to you planeside or on the jetbridge.

Generally, strollers and wheelchairs are the items that are gate-checked and then returned directly to you at arrival (not sent to baggage claim).
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA: EXP, SPG: Gold
I thought when you gate checked it, the agent normally takes the bag from you and it is out of your control at that point.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Back in the 90s, I forget if it was MSP or DTW, but this was standard operating there. The end of week flights back to DFW were regularly packed, and they always announced that if you wanted voluntary standby, you would have to check any roll-a-boards.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
-3 - Ignorant and delay-causing. We're talking about tagged hold bags. If the count of bags tagged doesn't match what's loaded, it's recount time. Shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes, but that can also have other rolling impact and cause even worse delays.

As to the underlying issue, last minute gate-checked bags cause even further delays. Kudos to the GA for being proactive. The other 120 people on the aircraft would appreciate it if they knew.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by allenh91801
I thought when you gate checked it, the agent normally takes the bag from you and it is out of your control at that point.
It depends which airport you are departing from. Some bag drops are near the counter and some are down by the airplane entrance at the end of the jet bridge.

If you do something like this you have to act cool to carry it through but be prepared to be contrite if caught doing it.

There are some airports, dallas mostly, that disregard anything the FAs on the plane have to say and start checking bags after about 20 of them so the airplane goes out with 20 overhead bins completely empty and about 100 people completely twisted and ready to yell at the FAs.

Then there are other airports, like Miami, where you tell the agents the bins are full and they keep sending them down and then send 2 agents on the airplane to open and close bins for 15 wasted minutes in order to realize the FAs working the flights weren't a bunch of morons.

You can't win. My advice is that if you think you can get your bag on then try. As long as you don't start yelling at the flight crew that you have the lost scrolls of whatever in your bag and it must get on, and you actually find a spot yourself within a reasonably short amount of time, you should be fine.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Gate-checked bags are not generally returned to the jetbridge when you deplane; typically, they're sent to baggage claim, and that can be a real PITA.

Perhaps you're thinking of valet-checked carryons on Eagle flights? On most Eagle flights, rolling bags are valet-checked either planeside or on the jetbridge and returned to you planeside or on the jetbridge.

Generally, strollers and wheelchairs are the items that are gate-checked and then returned directly to you at arrival (not sent to baggage claim).
Perhaps it was an Eagle flight, you may be totally correct. I can't recall, but I pulled it up on my AA account and it says it was a standard American ticket.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Originally Posted by allenh91801
Depends on the airport, some have a 'collection point' for strollers and such with a little slide down to the tarmac.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.