Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Routes / flights you wish AA flew Thread (2013 edition)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by klindy
Sorry wasnt thinking....more likely JFK-JNB or JFK-CPT. Still a shorter route than from MIA.
JFK-JNB is 92 miles shorter than MIA-JNB, but from MIA, the route could be flown via REC, enabling AA to start the route with a 763 with the potential to fly it with a 787 nonstop if AA can capture enough of the market. MIA features strong O&D to South Africa plus more connections than available from JFK.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Back when SJC was a hub, I'll bet that AA would have loved to serve LHR from SJC. Problem was, they couldn't. Until 2008, when the restrictions of Bermuda II were lifted, SJC was not a permitted gateway to LHR. Just like DFW wasn't permitted (recall that DFW flights had to fly to LGW or connect at ORD).
Way back when, AA was trying to get SJC-LGW approved. There was one slot and their application was competing with CO who had CLE-LGW planned. CO's application won out and AA later added SJC/CDG and SJC/TPE but then quickly fizzled out after dot-bomb and 911.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by roscoeinbigd
DFW-BOG was mentioned in a Dallas Morning News article today, it will begin service in the fall but still not loaded on their website
I'll believe it when I see it. The route was announced many months ago (for fall service launch) but has never been loaded. DMN may just be rehashing old news?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
AUS-MIA.

'Nuff said!

Cheers,
Cameron
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:48 pm

Pretty, pretty please JFK/MIA-JNB!!! I have had enough of SAA and Delta on this route.

Also, any additional flights out of SFO.

Last edited by jbettis2; Jun 28, 2013 at 12:51 pm Reason: correction
Old Jun 28, 2013, 2:52 pm
hmv

Originally Posted by george 3
I'm adding one more from my original post. JFK AMS.
Agree! And maybe MIA/ORD-AMS?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Why not LAX-BKK or SFO-BKK with AA arrival/departure flights conveniently connecting to/from Phuket, Chang Mai, Koh Samai and other popular Thai resort destinations using an alliance with Bangkok Airways or Asia Air? It's too difficult getting to most of these places without multiple connections.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
AA metal flights to other OW hub cities like HKG and SYD shouldn't be that much of a stretch.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Question OneWorld Hub Cities in Asia

Originally Posted by Time traveller
AA metal flights to other OW hub cities like HKG and SYD shouldn't be that much of a stretch.
Have to wonder why AA would begin service to Seoul where there is little One World access and it is a fortress hub for KAL. Anyone know what kind of loads AA is getting there and if it will be one of those unfortunate spots ( Mumbai, Budapest, Helsinki) where AA starts and ends service rather quickly?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by maltasr
Have to wonder why AA would begin service to Seoul where there is little One World access and it is a fortress hub for KAL. Anyone know what kind of loads AA is getting there and if it will be one of those unfortunate spots ( Mumbai, Budapest, Helsinki) where AA starts and ends service rather quickly?
The HEL seasonal flights have been going on for 3 years now??
Old Jun 29, 2013, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why oh why did CO, DL and US move their flights from LGW to LHR in 2008? LHR is such a fortress hub for BA.

It's because LHR is a huge business destination. So is Seoul.

AA began flying to Seoul because so many passengers on its flights to Tokyo connected to Seoul each day, and by flying nonstop from DFW, AA and JAL can presumably charge more for the convenience of not connecting at NRT. AA and JAL will share profits on this route thru their immunized joint venture and thus free up seats on their flights to Tokyo for local traffic (traffic to/from Tokyo).

AA never flew to BOM. AA flew to DEL for more than six years until it threw in the towel due to high fuel prices and depressed yields. I wouldn't call that starting and ending service "rather quickly." Other airlines have trimmed nonstop service from the US to India.

BUD? Malev shut down, and the Malev hub at BUD was the only reason AA ever flew to BUD.

HEL? HEL is seasonal. Traffic to/from Finland drops substantially in the winter. Just like Ireland and England.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
The HEL seasonal flights have been going on for 3 years now??
For my own curiosity, how do they define "seasonal" for these flights? And with Finnair a OW partner, why compete against an ally? Sorry if this sounds cryptic.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And with Finnair a OW partner, why compete against an ally? Sorry if this sounds cryptic.
AA and Finnair have antitrust immunity - so AA isn't "competing" against an ally - AA is cooperating with Finnair:

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) gave its tentative approval to grant antitrust immunity to American Airlines and four oneworld partners to form a global alliance.

"If the decision is made final, American and its "oneworld" alliance partners British Airways, Iberia Airlines, Finnair and Royal Jordanian Airlines would be able to more closely coordinate international operations in transatlantic markets," it said in a press release on Saturday.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...61D17D20100214

See also:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...-agreement.jsp
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
STL to ....well, anywhere

LAX/DFW to AKL to SYD

Marketed properly I think they'd make a killing on a NZ ski season LAX-NAN/PPT-ZQN - ski dest with beach on the way there or back

ORD-MAN - avoiding LHR & the rest of London would be nice
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
ORD-MAN - avoiding LHR & the rest of London would be nice
Last I checked AA54 departs ORD at 18:05 and arrives MAN 07:50 the next day.

Pity BA doesn't have more European destinations from MAN

Happy wandering

Fred

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.