Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Routes / flights you wish AA flew Thread (2013 edition)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Stripy
I'm guessing there's a lot more demand for paid J to South America (for example) than to ICN.
From Dallas? Sure, if you are grouping all of South America. But taking each destination individually, no. DFWICN is double the size of DFWGRU, which itself is much larger than any other DFW-South America market.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
From Dallas? Sure, if you are grouping all of South America. But taking each destination individually, no. DFWICN is double the size of DFWGRU, which itself is much larger than any other DFW-South America market.
Out of curiosity, where's all the DFWICN (J/F) demand coming from - Samsung? Or just that many well-heeled folks wanting to travel this route up front and will pay for it? Is Korean still on the DFW-ICN route?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 1:24 am

LAX-YVR
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MAH4546
How about other South American routes? And how do routes like LAX-NRT fit in? Just asking out of personal interest now
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scnzzz
Out of curiosity, where's all the DFWICN (J/F) demand coming from - Samsung? Or just that many well-heeled folks wanting to travel this route up front and will pay for it? Is Korean still on the DFW-ICN route?
This is overly simplistic, but think about which AA gateway has long had not one, but two daily flights on AA metal to Tokyo? AA's largest hub in the nation's fourth largest metro area. Granted, South Korea isn't as large as Japan and, correspondingly, its economy is smaller. But South Korea's growth trajectory is impressive. It's a huge business travel market.

Now that AA has antitrust immunity with JAL, it no longer needs to compete with JAL. It can cooperate with JAL as to pricing, capacity and schedules.

About ICN, some have previously asked: "But AA/JAL have no onward connections from ICN." And the answer to that is "so what?" A nonstop flight from DFW-ICN frees up seats on DFW-NRT and ORD-NRT flights for O&D traffic and/or connections to other Asian cities. DFW is where AA gets the highest average fares to Tokyo, and should be able to get pretty good fares for nonstop DFW-ICN flights. The flight should also free up seats on JAL flights from NRT to ICN.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Sill wishing (or maybe waiting) for DFW-HKG or any AA hub-HKG.

Looks like DL is starting SEA-HKG later in 2014, a route that even CX does not operate. I would be forever happy just to see HKG served by AA metal.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by incognitoMD
Sill wishing (or maybe waiting) for DFW-HKG or any AA hub-HKG.

Looks like DL is starting SEA-HKG later in 2014, a route that even CX does not operate. I would be forever happy just to see HKG served by AA metal.
CX doesn't serve SEA-HKG because they serve YVR-HKG and they codeshare with QX on the SEA-YVR, vv.

Does anyone know from what cities TWA served HKG, if any, and if AA aquired those rights and if they are still valid?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Git-er-dun
Lax - akl
lax - hkg
lax - sin

psp - lax
psp - sfo
AS flies PSP-SFO which AA codeshares. It doesn't matter which airline you book it on. Either way you get elite miles.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Too much competition on the LGA DEN route, but one JFK DEN feeder would be nice.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
DUS-MIA
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aaron01
CX doesn't serve SEA-HKG because they serve YVR-HKG and they codeshare with QX on the SEA-YVR, vv.
If there was sufficient O&D from SEA, then I'd bet that CX would fly it. I don't predict long-term success for DL on SEA-HKG.

Originally Posted by Aaron01
Does anyone know from what cities TWA served HKG, if any, and if AA aquired those rights and if they are still valid?
In 1972, TWA flew nonstop from HKG to BKK and Guam:

http://www.departedflights.com/TW043072p25.html

Too lazy to see if the reverse was true. By 1977, TWA no longer served HKG.

AA has no rights to fly to HKG via its purchase of TWA's assets. Most restricted routes are "use-it-or-lose-it" and are no longer active. The good news is that much of the world is now "open-skies" and anyone can initiate service.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: American Advantage, Kris Flyer
Where is my LAX-SAT?

Please bring it back!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Restart India from somewhere
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:40 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The good news is that much of the world is now "open-skies" and anyone can initiate service.
Is that true? I thought it was still the exception?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Is that true? I thought it was still the exception?
Yes, it is true. Exceptions include Hong Kong, mainland China and Argentina (and some others). Here is a list of the countries with which the US has an open skies treaty:

http://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/othr/ata/114805.htm

Most of the destinations previously flown by TWA are covered by Open Skies (like nearly every country in Europe).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.