Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

NY to Detroit - Food in First Class? [and answer - to be merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NY to Detroit - Food in First Class? [and answer - to be merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platunum
FWAAA,
Thanks for the link in your post. I see now where it says "gourmet snack mix".
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM HHonors Diamond
There are no ovens on the CR7s.

I have had quite a nice salad with cold chicken before on some AE CR7 flights (BNA-LGA and perhaps LGA-RDU -- a while ago).
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:35 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by MollyNYC
Yes, in a perfect world a nice meal would be served.

But even in a less than perfect world, the info should be easily available on their website, as well as accessible to their own employees.
Not sure why there is confusion; when making reservations on aa.com, the meal for each cabin is shown when you expand the flight details. This flight clearly lists "refreshments" for F.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dw
Not sure why there is confusion; when making reservations on aa.com, the meal for each cabin is shown when you expand the flight details. This flight clearly lists "refreshments" for F.
Exactly! You can check the "meal" on any AA flight by expanding the flight details of any flight that's bookable on AA.com.

Not only that, but not sure why anyone would be so concerned about a "meal" on a flight from LGA-DTW that they would waste time calling all kinds of folks at American. Not only that, but it's two-hour regional flight at 1025am, I certainly wouldn't expect a breakfast, let alone any type of real meal.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:41 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
(snip)...especially considering, we're supposed to be at the airport 1 to 2 hours beforehand, and if the TSA is slow that day, it might not leave enough time to have breakfast at the airport.
Considering your profile states you're Plat, and even if still not Plat, as an F passenger, you're still entitled to use the expedited security screening line.

This should shave off some of that TSA wait.

As others have mentioned, despite not having a "meal" served, just be glad that your aircraft has an F cabin. [since this route formerly was an ERJ]

There are flights on American Eagle that are even longer than yours that depart at meal times, and even as a Platinum on a Full Fare coach [as there's no First Class cabin] if there are snack available for purchase, you have to pay for those--and those carb laiden products are about the same offerings as your complimentary snack mix which is free in F:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20912237-post42.html
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:55 am

That's the first place I looked. There is no info. I then went to their general meal section hoping to find info for short flights. Again, no info. Then I called AA and spoke w/ three supervisors -2 in Platinum, and one in tech support.(because the two in Plat said it was on the website and had no other info for me. Tech support confirmed it wasn't on the site and tried digging around, again without any info found).

Apparently AA feels the need to keep this info a secret from passengers and their own reservationists.
This is the first page that appears after searching for a flight. All I did was check the 'plus sign' icon.

Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by TWAL10114Ever
Exactly! You can check the "meal" on any AA flight by expanding the flight details of any flight that's bookable on AA.com.

Not only that, but not sure why anyone would be so concerned about a "meal" on a flight from LGA-DTW that they would waste time calling all kinds of folks at American. Not only that, but it's two-hour regional flight at 1025am, I certainly wouldn't expect a breakfast, let alone any type of real meal.
Originally Posted by will2288
This is the first page that appears after searching for a flight. All I did was check the 'plus sign' icon.
Give the OP a break. She already said she found out it was Refreshments. She was asking in particular what that meant, and the AA website does not clearly say that at all.

While I agree a 2 hour flight really should include some sort of meal (some sort of yogurt and fruit would be fine by me). Unfortunately you're on an Eagle flight and it is not within the meal times as defined by AA.

I'm glad I'm almost always on mainline (I think UA and DL have a much higher percentage of flights on RJs, though I may be wrong), and I'm happy to get a meal on STL-LGA, which is barely over two hours. While I wouldn't care that much, sometimes knowing I will have a meal is quite nice, so I can not have to worry about food when I get home at 9pm and just spend time with my SO, etc.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:57 am

Why didn't you just buy a Y ticket to take the confusion out of the equation? Eat some real food at the airport or before traveling and you won't have this problem. It's not like the seats on a short haul flight in F are sooo much better than Y exit rows.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Give the OP a break. She already said she found out it was Refreshments. She was asking in particular what that meant, and the AA website does not clearly say that at all.
I don't think anyone here is being hard on the OP. The OP said, "That's the first place I looked [AA.com]. There is no info." I, and others, showed her where to look on AA.com. She indicated she only found it was 'refreshments' from an AA supervisor.

FT certainly has a tendency to be hard on OPs, but I don't think thread this is an example of that.

Last edited by will2288; Jun 24, 2013 at 3:37 am
Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Note to OP - although you most certainly want to take advantage of the benefits of F, since your flight is mid-morning, you would be better served having your normal breakfast before leaving for the airport. I often wonder what the breakfast "cut-off" time is for departing LGA flights is. Typically, I depart between 6am and 730am for DFW or ORD (on my way somewhere else). On those flights, I like to have the cereal breakfast because its just not feasible at home for an early departure (or my body just doesn't want anything but coffee at 430am). However, for this summer I'm not going to kill myself getting to the airport at the crack of dawn and will be taking 830-930am flights. Thus, the question of cutoff. Turning to AE flights from LGA which this appears to be, these flights are a bev and couple of the breakfast cookies.

Last edited by george 3; Jun 24, 2013 at 11:12 am
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
I've flown this route too many times, most recently last month in FC.

The flight length does not even approach the 2+ hours that is typically blocked. Its closer to 1h20m.

You get standard FC refreshments, including alcoholic beverages.

As for food, I received a bag of that cheap wanna-be Chex mix.

Hope that helps
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by will2288
Your best bet for finding this information in the future is to search for that flight on AA.com. The meal service will be listed there clearly. Just keep in mind that on AA 'snack' means a rather substantial meal-sized option.

I did search high and low on the AA site, and the info wasn't there.
I then called AA and no one knew.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by chuckywang
Why didn't you just buy a Y ticket to take the confusion out of the equation? Eat some real food at the airport or before traveling and you won't have this problem. It's not like the seats on a short haul flight in F are sooo much better than Y exit rows.
I would rather ride in the posterior of a donkey with severe flatulence than any RJ coach seat.

The CRJ F seats aren't great but I'll say that half terrible is a step up from full terrible.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DillMan
I would rather ride in the posterior of a donkey with severe flatulence than any RJ coach seat.

The CRJ F seats aren't great but I'll say that half terrible is a step up from full terrible.
eh. The misaligned windows in the CRJ F are a major pain. 1A is the best seat by far, otherwise Row 5 on the CR7's is better, IMO.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:30 am
Original Poster

NY to Detroit - Food in FC. Mystery Solved

I've completed the flight and can now give an informed answer to anyone who's interested.

Upon boarding I was offered orange juice or water.
Once inflight, I was offered a beverage and a choice of either nuts or chips served in a plastic package.

A few minutes later, a lovely cold lunch was served on nice china, and a napkin placed on the tray table. Choices were either a chicken cobb salad or slider sandwiches. I opted for the salad and was served nice greens with some tomatoes and other raw vegetables with sliced chicken breast on top, along with a choice of salad dressing. Along with the salad was a package of Stacy's Pita chips and a packet containing two Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies. The person across the aisle opted for the sliders which were three mini sandwiches which, if memory serves me right, were a choice of chicken or tuna salad, or ham. (don't quote me on that). Also a packet of pita chips and cookies. Coffee and tea were offered afterwards.

I asked the FA if this is what is normally served on this flight and she confirmed it was. My flight home was an all economy seating plane, so nothing but beverages were offered.

So mystery solved.
Why AA can't give this info is annoying.

Last edited by MollyNYC; Jul 1, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.