CRJ Aircraft

Old Jun 20, 13, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott
CRJ Aircraft

Will be flying LAX-SMF on a CRJ aircraft. Have chosen seats 2AB as we like being upfront and they are shown as seats for elite members. Is anyone familiar with this aircraft and can tell me if those seats have an overhead bin or is it filled with fire extinguisher, etc. I've checked SeatGuru and SeatExpert and neither one even shows this particular aircraft.
Old Jun 20, 13, 1:15 pm

depending on the plane its either a crj-200 or crj-700, which on seatguru you can determine by putting in your flight information. If you have two on each side its a crj-200, and I can't tell you much about them. If it's a crj-700 (which is much more likely) one side of overhead bins is generally unusable for anything larger than your keys or wallet.

edit - just looked at booking flights from lax-smf on aa.com, and its a crj-200 based on the seat map. Don't know much about overheads on those. good luck.
Old Jun 20, 13, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The current schedule shows no CRJ700s, so it's quite likely a 50-seat Devil's Chariot CRJ200.
Old Jun 20, 13, 1:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JIMCHI View Post
Will be flying LAX-SMF on a CRJ aircraft. Have chosen seats 2AB as we like being upfront and they are shown as seats for elite members. Is anyone familiar with this aircraft and can tell me if those seats have an overhead bin or is it filled with fire extinguisher, etc. I've checked SeatGuru and SeatExpert and neither one even shows this particular aircraft.
Looks like the CRJ-200. You're correct that it's not on SeatExpert, but I found the map on SeatGuru:
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame...nes_CRJ200.php
Old Jun 20, 13, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Yes it's the CRJ 200. Anyone sat near the front and can tell me if row 2 has something resembling a normal overhead bin?
Old Jun 20, 13, 2:27 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by JIMCHI View Post
Yes it's the CRJ 200. Anyone sat near the front and can tell me if row 2 has something resembling a normal overhead bin?
Sorry, always sit in exit rows on the tiny aircraft. Sorry

Of course, given that most people don't have things that they can bring on the plane, you should have no problem finding space around row 3 even if 2 is full.

Cheers.
Old Jun 20, 13, 2:36 pm

Programs: W/P1.9MM & Charter+ DL Diamond 2.15MM, AA EXP 1.95MM, AS MVP .6MM, O/P .9MM, A/C & S/C
CRJ Overhead Bins

None of the over head bins are as large as those on the Mainline Aircraft. Most standard sized rollaboards will not fit in them.

You will be able to "Valet tag" your carryon in the jetway and pick it back up in the jetway in SMF Minor inconvience
Old Jun 20, 13, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

The reason I'm asking is that I have to carry around with me a very fragile and very expensive CPAP machine. In its case, it measures 16x16x8. I'm very reluctant to give this up to a baggage handler.
Old Jun 20, 13, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the case is 8" tall, it ain't gonna fit in a CRJ overhead bin. Not sure about the 16" x 16" dimensions, but I think it might fail on one of those also.

Pack it securely with lotsa padding and valet check it. Or pack it in regular checked bags.
Old Jun 20, 13, 3:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Seatguru says the following regarding the United CRJ200:
"Maximum dimensions for overhead compartment is 18Lx14Wx7D."
Old Jun 20, 13, 4:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Maybe the CPAP will fit under the seat in front of you? My presentation case (laptop and projector) won't fit the overhead, but it will fit underseat. No way would I valet check it.

The American Airlines CRJ-200 storage dimensions are listed here.
Old Jun 20, 13, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT (MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz 5*
I can't imagine a cpap carrier wouldn't fit. My smallest rollaboard will fit on the CRJ 200 and I am certain it is larger than your cpap bag. The 16"x16" should fit sideways in the bin. I don't see your status posted so if you don't have status, you might be later in the boarding process and have to walk it toward the rear of the plane. Worst case, in any event make sure you put padding around the cpap itself in the bag in the event that you have to take it back and valet check it. My limited experience is that when I have observed baggage handlers loading valet checked bags, they have not been as rough as those that throw them on the conveyors into the cargo hold.
Old Jun 20, 13, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
The current schedule shows no CRJ700s, so it's quite likely a 50-seat Devil's Chariot CRJ200.
I might have misread that as "50-seat Delta's Chariot CRJ200," close enough, I guess.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: