Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Are GRU / São Paulo flights affected by demonstrations / rioting? [6/13 not now]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update it.

Note that GRU / Guarulhos International Airport serving São Paulo is affected by the demonstrations and riots being experienced throughout Brazil at the moment. Some roads, including the main Sao Paulo - GRU road, have been closed (21 Jun). These actions do not target foreigners, and are largely anti-government currently.

To check AA policies or warnings, please see here.

For U S State Department warnings, etc. on travel to Brazil, please see here.

This is the American AAdvantage Forum; please post regarding AA and its flights to and from GRU and closely related issues only.
Print Wikipost

Are GRU / São Paulo flights affected by demonstrations / rioting? [6/13 not now]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....

I just attempted to confirm our flight 951 to GRU tommorrow and was prevented by error statement " names do not match documents, see agent @ departure airport"....we are both GOES members so this is perhaps somewhat misleading and is rather disturbing...
Perhaps the flight is cancelled due to the violence occurring presently in São Paulo ??
Anyone else on this flight experienced same ?.?

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 21, 2013 at 6:26 pm Reason: merge and post title restoration
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:42 pm

I can't see any way that you came to that possible explanation. No, it does not mean that the flight is cancelled because of the riots. It is not cancelled for any reason which you could have easily checked as I just did.

What that message usually means is that the name on your reservation does not match the name on your passport. There could be many explanations for that including a typo when the flights were booked. It doesn't always mean that you will not be able to fly, but it does often mean that you won't be able to fly.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 4:49 am
Original Poster

MM Thank you for your response.
My attempt to 'check in' was at 1 AM Central.
I have often traveled Intl on the GOES platform before without problems, so theoretically not a 'name' issue.
BTW this message was received for BOTH GOES verified PAX.
BBC reports from SP are somewhat ominous...
Old Jun 19, 2013, 5:40 am

Yesterday's flight is in the air and scheduled to land shortly. Today's and tomorrow's are showing as scheduled on time.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by aafreq
I just attempted to confirm our flight 951 to GRU tommorrow and was prevented by error statement " names do not match documents, see agent @ departure airport"....we are both GOES members so this is perhaps somewhat misleading and is rather disturbing...
Perhaps the flight is cancelled due to the violence occurring presently in São Paulo ??
Should be an automatic message. Have you been able to check in online for travel to Brazil previously?

"NOTE: U.S. citizens require a valid visa for travel to Brazil, Bolivia and China. Check-in for these destinations will be processed at the airport with an agent."

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...unizations.jsp
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
The Sao Paulo demonstrations are in downtown (Paulista) and elsewhere. There were protests on the ring road on Sunday, but nothing at GRU or even close to it. In fact, there is very little out by the airport, including people. My son is on 966 from GRU on Sunday and we haven't received any word of cancelations.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I am curious: when one is told they can't check in on line, why would one suppose the flight is cancelled? It's about checking in - and though we are both GOES-approved, there have been infrequent occasions this message has come up - we checked in and presented our documents, and got our boarding passes for otherwise uneventful flights. It's usually more of a mild inconvenience due to something flagged by the IT system, I suspect.

It's easy enough to check flight info on aa.com more by calling 1-800-223-5436 to see if the flight has been cancelled.

Hope your trip is otherwise uneventful and enjoyable.

Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by millionmiler
I can't see any way that you came to that possible explanation. No, it does not mean that the flight is cancelled because of the riots. It is not cancelled for any reason which you could have easily checked as I just did.

What that message usually means is that the name on your reservation does not match the name on your passport. There could be many explanations for that including a typo when the flights were booked. It doesn't always mean that you will not be able to fly, but it does often mean that you won't be able to fly.
I get this message frequently, for whatever reason. It's never ever been a problem at the airport.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
I am curious: when one is told they can't check in on line, why would one suppose the flight is cancelled? It's about checking in - and though we are both GOES-approved, there have been infrequent occasions this message has come up - we checked in and presented our documents, and got our boarding passes for otherwise uneventful flights. It's usually more of a mild inconvenience due to something flagged by the IT system, I suspect.
Beats me. I usually check and recheck my documents to make sure something I entered isn't wrong, but that is about it.

But hey, riots are better than pointing to the merger, right?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver

It's easy enough to check flight info on aa.com more by calling 1-800-223-5436 to see if the flight has been cancelled.

Hope your trip is otherwise uneventful and enjoyable.
Thanks for your kind wishes

" why would one suppose the flight is scancelled ?

Because the international news media just reported on the violence....surprisingly....maybe not....US media has not mentioned it at all

Just spent 18 minutes on hold to AA reservations.....no change in flight status.
Appreciate the lack of concern ( no harm intended) at GRU, However the hotel is located on Avenuda Paulista, 1 1/2 hours transit time from GRU...exactly where the protests are located.

Latest from BBC is that a "special Security Force" is being deployed (army ?)

The 77W may be 'safe' at GRU but what about US in downtown, if we can get there, thru what appears to be thousands in the streets... ??

How would you feel, if any of you were faced with this dilemma ?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Appreciate the lack of concern ( no harm intended) at GRU, However the hotel is located on Avenuda Paulista, 1 1/2 hours transit time from GRU...exactly where the protests are located.

Latest from BBC is that a "special Security Force" is being deployed (army ?)

The 77W may be 'safe' at GRU but what about US in downtown, if we can get there, thru what appears to be thousands in the streets... ??

How would you feel, if any of you were faced with this dilemma ?
If you are concerned about the riots, then change the hotel, or don't go. It depends on why you are going as to whether you will want to go or not at this point. I was just in Rio de Janeiro myself about 3 weeks ago, and was at many of the spots where there is now a lot of rioting. Avoid the areas where you know rioting is occurring, and be prepared to move quickly if the situation in any area you are deteriorates.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:09 am
Original Poster

"But hey, riots are better than pointing to the merger, right? " )

Years ago we chartered a 707 to fly down to Buenos Aires, during the flight down the airport which we were to land at, was bombed by a dissatisfied Argentine Air Force Pilot...

The Captain informed us that his company directed him to, literally, drop us off, not shutting down his engines and to take off immediately to refuel in another country...
Our group as well as our luggage were 'deposited' on the Tarmac in a strangely empty airport, as our flight was the only one on the field.

After collecting our bags and rapidly exiting the field, only to be met with machine gun toting military..unsettling at the time... before it was common here in the States.

SO, I am no 'Nervous Nellie' when it comes to experiences out of the ordinary...
Please have the courtesy to respect my concerns...
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks Bosman
"or don't go"
And just how would the New AA respect my decision ??
Refund or SOL .?

BlackHawks in 6 !
Just to add a lighter note....
"
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
SO, I am no 'Nervous Nellie' when it comes to experiences out of the ordinary...
Please have the courtesy to respect my concerns...
Your concerns about GRU are fine. I was simply objecting to the monumental leap in logic from a check in document problem to the flight being cancelled.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:37 am
Original Poster

No worries Antarius !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.