J type service on 738 Transcon (IFE/food)

Old Jun 19, 2013, 3:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Maybe this is in response to DL stepping up their transcon service? They just added Business Elite on JFK-SEA and most of their transcons have in seat video cabin wide.

Either way...great to see this improvement!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: AA, Southwest, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Are they serving the food (by each course) like transcon J? I flew this route a lot this past winter when it was a 763. And the FAs would always do the dinner service from the cart all at once. So the salad, appetizer, and dinner would all be on the same plate. It's not as though there isn't enough time on that flight to do it by each course. And you had to eat the entre first, otherwise it got cold if you ate the salad and appetizer first.
Sorry this is a result of lazy flight attendants.
Even a dinner service say from DFW-RDU is supposed to be hand run, never from the cart. I was on DFW-NAS not that long ago and it was a nice lunch with bread and salad served first and then entrees brought out, and this was a basic lunch service. Majority of the Flight attendants simply want to do the minimum because they know they can get away with it.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Maybe this is in response to DL stepping up their transcon service? They just added Business Elite on JFK-SEA and most of their transcons have in seat video cabin wide.

Absolutely!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:17 pm

not intending to hijack the thread, but wonder if markets like LAX = RDU will see this type of quasi business service. I've read some trip reports on the new route but haven't seen anyone mention that transcon get the same as SAN/MIA
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by F&B767
Even a dinner service say from DFW-RDU is supposed to be hand run, never from the cart. I was on DFW-NAS not that long ago and it was a nice lunch with bread and salad served first and then entrees brought out, and this was a basic lunch service. Majority of the Flight attendants simply want to do the minimum because they know they can get away with it.
That was my reaction the first time it happened. Then the subsequent flights were the same delivery service. So I thought it was a new, and bad, policy. This is a minimum 5 hour flight. What's the rush? I just hated having to eat the entre first. I'm a slow eater, so if I started with the appetizer and salad, the entre would be cold by the time I got to it. I guess I should be thankful they weren't dishing out the sundaes at the same time.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Fanjet:20955094
That was my reaction the first time it happened. Then the subsequent flights were the same delivery service. So I thought it was a new, and bad, policy. This is a minimum 5 hour flight. What's the rush? I just hated having to eat the entrée first. I'm a slow eater, so if I started with the appetizer and salad, the entrée would be cold by the time I got to it. I guess I should be thankful they weren't dishing out the sundaes at the same time.
To be clear, the service was appetizer & salad first, then main course and finally dessert or cheese. The only "complaint" was that service was from cart in aisle rather than plated in galley and brought to seat (which is the ne plus ultra for cabin service)
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: Various
Goes to show what the FAs know. I was told by a BOS based crew with 20 something years seniority that there was "no way" a PED cart could fit in a 737 transcon with all that they have besides. The route was BOS-LAX. Looks like this route is on that list to get the IFE/PED.

Note to add: Those that are comparing "F" on these routes with "F" on a three class aircraft, the catering will be what you would get in "J" on a 3 class aircraft, not the same "F" service.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Robt760
Goes to show what the FAs know. I was told by a BOS based crew with 20 something years seniority that there was "no way" a PED cart could fit in a 737 transcon with all that they have besides. The route was BOS-LAX. Looks like this route is on that list to get the IFE/PED.

Note to add: Those that are comparing "F" on these routes with "F" on a three class aircraft, the catering will be what you would get in "J" on a 3 class aircraft, not the same "F" service.
Nota Bene - they hauled the PED cart from the back galley - with the meal service, all the F galley carts were allotted to food/beverage.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:42 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
not intending to hijack the thread, but wonder if markets like LAX = RDU will see this type of quasi business service. I've read some trip reports on the new route but haven't seen anyone mention that transcon get the same as SAN/MIA
No Bose or tablets on RDU-LAX (at least not yet), but the meal service is identical to the other transcon J routes mentioned above.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by JMN57
To be clear, the service was appetizer & salad first, then main course and finally dessert or cheese. The only "complaint" was that service was from cart in aisle rather than plated in galley and brought to seat (which is the ne plus ultra for cabin service)
Actually to be clear, the complaint was that the service was from a cart and served all at once, besides desert being separate. Which is what I addressed.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
Actually to be clear, the complaint was that the service was from a cart and served all at once, besides desert being separate. Which is what I addressed.
Send in the complaint. The only way the ones who aren't doing it correctly will ever start is if specific complaints to their Flight Service Managers are received. If you state the flight number and date, Consumers will look up the crew and it will go to their local management.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by 777Pax
Send in the complaint. The only way the ones who aren't doing it correctly will ever start is if specific complaints to their Flight Service Managers are received. If you state the flight number and date, Consumers will look up the crew and it will go to their local management.
I haven't flown this route in a few months (right before it switched over to a 738). But according to someone who just did, it wasn't the case on his flight. The cart service wasn't an issue for me, although it seems odd for a 738 (as opposed to a 763). Just plating everything at once. However, if I do experience it again, I will send in a friendly comment. And I must say that the FAs who were doing this on my flights were actually quite friendly. Which made it seem more odd. Could this be a decision made by the lead FA, and not so much by the ones doing the actual service?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

Possible, however, SAN-JFK use to have the true 3 class service, as someone pointed out, it's nice that AA recognizes SAN paxs should be treated with the same service as SFO/LAX paxs.

In response to the cart service, I don't mind it as long as the WHOLE meal isn't served at the same time. If there is a passenger that wants the express meal, then do that, but the other passenger's should be treated to a proper meal service. Just lazy FA's.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlightNurse:20964994

Possible, however, SAN-JFK use to have the true 3 class service, as someone pointed out, it's nice that AA recognizes SAN paxs should be treated with the same service as SFO/LAX paxs.

In response to the cart service, I don't mind it as long as the WHOLE meal isn't served at the same time. If there is a passenger that wants the express meal, then do that, but the other passenger's should be treated to a proper meal service. Just lazy FA's.
In case my post is not clear - the meal was served from carts but the service was one course at a time - they wheeled carts through for each course. So no worries that the steak got cold while the salad was being eaten.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I couldn't care less if the FAs use a cart.

I do care if they plop the entire meal (app, salad, entree) on my tray all at once. That's not acceptable, IMO, on a mid-con flight and certainly unacceptable on a transcon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.