Lost iPhone: Exceptional Service from LHR Ground Staff

Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman

Some words of praise for AA. Long story short, groggy friend forgets pricey iPhone in seat pocket after night flight into LHR. Realizes it only after changing terminals. Too late to go back. Transfer desk staff tries to help but phone hasn't been found yet. They give us contact numbers. We decide to call AA after arrival at destination to ask for help...

First, AA reservations agent seems genuinely caring and engaged in trying to help recover the lost phone. Connects us with baggage claim at LHR. I leave a message. Within 30 minutes, get a call back from another great employee at LHR baggage claim who asks for particulars and says will check secure area and call back. Minutes later, another call received. Phone was found ^ and now identified as my friends! Notes made in record so friend can collect on return trip home, which happens, again, with excellent service by ground staff at LHR. We're both amazed and grateful to everyone involved at AA in LHR. ^ ^ ^

I'll be sending a letter to corporate but wanted to share some praise here on FT too. :-:

An aside, other recent calls to EXP reservations about complicated itineraries have been so exceptional that this week I asked one agent (among the best I've ever talked with) to speak with a supervisor so I could pass along my compliments and appreciation.

For the rare times when CS doesn't overwhelm, the times when it does are lately often and very appreciated by this frequent traveler.

Well done, AA. Keep up the good work! ^

Last edited by UAfan; Jun 15, 2013 at 7:03 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Wow! A long way from the old "Thiefrow" days of yore. (Yep, many called it that in the past, when LHR was parlous to transit and perilous to one's belongings.)

Thanks for sharing; probably will board for the Kudos thread soon.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
I has a similar brain lapse in MIA on a layover not too long ago between LAX and EZE. Left my iPhone on my seat on the LAX-MIA leg, and it wasn't until I was in my seat on the MIA-EZE flight that I realized it was missing. I panicked, told the FA, and she literally ran up the jetway to see if she could do anything. About 20 minutes later, a Gate Agent shows up literally dripping with sweat and hands me my iphone just before they shut the door. I kid you not. I can't tell you how thankful I was as the trip to EZE was three weeks!

I wrote a long gushing email to AA thru their website listing the names and crew member numbers of those who helped me (I made sure I got all their info)
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Nice end state that could easily have ended with a remote wipe. Last year in one of a few times I had to collect checked bags, I almost lost an iPhone. There are pylons and tape for elite baggage to the right at the AA carousel. When my bags ( including skis a few yards way) showed up I set an iPhone in an OtterBox on top of one of the pylons. Got the bags and ran out to get a cab.

Figured out I didn't have the phone and ran back inside. iPhone was still there and a DCA baggage guy (probably not an AA employee) was watching it. He handed it to me and was kind of offended when I whipped out a $10 bill and told him" thanks for being cool, man." I insisted and he took that $10; these guys don't make much and if I had a $20 bill I would have given him that.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
It works out some times.

Even better story myself on AA back in 2008/2009. I had my blackberry in flight with me from JFK-to LAS. Somewhere in flight it falls off my lap ( which i dont realize of course until deplaning). Worked with the FA as i deplane to find it to no avail. We both searched the entire F cabin and dont find it.

On a whim i decided to call the phone a couple of days later, FA on the same aircraft ( at boarding) picks up the call.. "oh this is your phone we found." Sends it back to me via Fed Ex. Despite all the issues, AA does have some great employees.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Platinum

Doesn't surprise me too much. I've found two tablets (one of each flavor) in my seat pocket in F. I specifically asked the FA if she thought rhe owner would ever be reunited with their device and was told AA has gotten very diligent about left behind devices. Still, very good to hear. We can still have some faith in humankind.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I left my jacket hanging on my inbound lhr flight. Lhr staff found it and kept it for me too for my return flight. Quite good they are.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
The business class amenity kit bags are the perfect size to hold my skross plug, car charger and all my family's charging cables, but not the best choice if one is hoping to recover lost property...

But despite not getting anything back, to give credit where due, the staff on AA49 checked every bag they could find. Now I use either a wrong-airline bag or the old red kind.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Glad to hear of AA helping find your phone! ^

I was flying through DFW earlier this year, and realized at the AC that I had left my 7 year old flip phone in the seatback pocket in the inbound flight I flew in on.

The AC called down to the gate, and they told me that the phone was found, and of all people, the pilot was going to meet me at the entrance of the AC to give me it. [I had told the staff I'd be happy to walk to the gate, but the gate agent said the pilot insisted to bring it to me.]

I profusely thanked the pilot for giving me my lost phone.

I asked the pilot for his name, as I told him I wanted to give AA praise, and he said it wasn't necessary, just something that he does as part of the job.

Thankfully he had his name badge on, and I gladly sent off a happy-note to AA.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: 10 MM + 2013, AA EXP,Lifetime AC ,Crown Room, Red Carpet,USAIR CLUB ,Hertz Plat, Hilton Dia, GS +++
LHR has one of the best

lost and found systems in the world imo. They really take pride in 'returning' lost goods - having had to use the services several times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.