Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA 291 June 14th - [preclared at DUB, channeled to international arrivals at JFK]

AA 291 June 14th - [preclared at DUB, channeled to international arrivals at JFK]

Old Jun 14, 13, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa,ua,dl,sw

Just arrived on AA 291 from Dublin to JFK. We precleared immigration and customs in Dublin. This is one of the big advantages of flying through Dublin is that you can clear US immigration and customs.

This advantage was negated by the AA gate agent at gate 43 at JFK incorrectly routing the passengers to International arrivals instead of right out to the domestic terminal. This resulted in requiring a long walk down and back in the bowels of JFK.

AA please get your act together.
Old Jun 14, 13, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Better than the other way around. If the agent had mistakenly allowed non-precleared international arriving passengers into the departures concourse, the airline would have been subject to a huge federal fine AND the individual agent who made the mistake would have had a personal penalty too.

I'm sure it has happened on occasion, maybe not with AA but with some airline.
Old Jun 14, 13, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Better than the other way around. If the agent had mistakenly allowed non-precleared international arriving passengers into the departures concourse, the airline would have been subject to a huge federal fine AND the individual agent who made the mistake would have had a personal penalty too.
Better for who? Better for AA, clearly, but obviously not better for the passengers.
Old Jun 14, 13, 12:40 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by jordyn View Post
Better for who? Better for AA, clearly, but obviously not better for the passengers.
If it had gone the other way (dumping tens of non-cleared people into New York), image the cluster flop and lock down that would ensue. Heads would roll, ......
Old Jun 14, 13, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mickfair View Post
This is one of the big advantages of flying through Dublin is that you can clear US immigration and customs.
Would this also apply if you're making a connection in LHR?

It's been almost 15 years since I flew through DUB and I'm headed back soon.

Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 13, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by gradboozer View Post

Thanks!
yes, all passengers clear before reaching the gate.
Old Jun 14, 13, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by gradboozer View Post

Thanks!
Originally Posted by tlott View Post
yes, all passengers clear before reaching the gate.
Maybe I'm wrong but I think gradboozer was saying he's flying DUB-LHR-US in which case he wouldn't preclear at DUB.
Old Jun 14, 13, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
So, did you have to go through the process all over again at JFK?
Old Jun 14, 13, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but I think gradboozer was saying he's flying DUB-LHR-US in which case he wouldn't preclear at DUB.
You're right... my error, sorry!
Old Jun 14, 13, 7:51 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: GLD; MR: TIT
How did you come to that conclusion? I believe that 291 is the DUB-JFK non-stop.
Old Jun 14, 13, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
How did you come to that conclusion? I believe that 291 is the DUB-JFK non-stop.
The OP flew AA 291. gradboozer is not the OP.
Old Jun 17, 13, 12:15 pm
Company Representative - American Airlines

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by mickfair View Post
Just arrived on AA 291 from Dublin to JFK. We precleared immigration and customs in Dublin. This is one of the big advantages of flying through Dublin is that you can clear US immigration and customs.

This advantage was negated by the AA gate agent at gate 43 at JFK incorrectly routing the passengers to International arrivals instead of right out to the domestic terminal. This resulted in requiring a long walk down and back in the bowels of JFK.

AA please get your act together.
Our apologies for the incorrect routing. We have made sure that our gate agents at JFK now know where to direct customers who have been pre-cleared in Dublin. Thanks for bringing this matter to our attention.
Old Aug 27, 13, 6:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
An off-topic post about recent food/seat experiences on this flight has been moved here.

Please remember that FlyerTalk Guidelines & Rules do require posts to be on topic; this thread is not dealing with food or seat quality/reviews.

~Moderator
Old Aug 27, 13, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1k; MR Platinum; SPG Gold
Going LHR-DUB-JFK, I believe you must pre-clear to step on the US-bound flight.
Old Aug 27, 13, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Going LHR-DUB-JFK, I believe you must pre-clear to step on the US-bound flight.
Not quite a "must". Not all US bound flights pre-clear. But if flying with AA both the JFK and ORD flights currently do, however.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: