Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Complain/Voice Opinion about the Complimentary Gold Upgrade Program -- Contact Info

Complain/Voice Opinion about the Complimentary Gold Upgrade Program -- Contact Info

Old Aug 4, 2001, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP

1. Go to AA.com and send an e-mail to BOTH AAdvanatge Customer Svc and AA Customer Service
2. Call executive offices at 817-967-2000 and complain
3. Send a fax to Don Carty at (817) 967-4162
4. Send a fax to Mike Gunn (SVP of Marketing) at 817-967-4162
Old Aug 4, 2001, 8:47 am

It's a business decision.

AA is a publicly held company, if they fail to maximize shareholder value they are betraying their responsibility.

I don't think many folks with dump AA as a result of this, and it is a reasonable attempt by marketing to increase revenue, so it's probably a good business decision and the promo will stand. It's too late to change anyway isn't it?
Old Aug 4, 2001, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

It's too late, but maybe it will get some discussion at AA and they will think twice next time...
Old Aug 4, 2001, 5:42 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I am with AA EXP all the way on this - I have had to EARN PLT the hard way for the last 4 years in a row, not to mention the year I was Gold had to earn that the hard way as well.

I wouldn't mind it quite so much if AA would give me some type of challenge to get to EXP.

Old Aug 4, 2001, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
It's too late for AA to change what's already been done.

But hopefully they'll realize that they should be spending as much effort keeping their top-fliers as they are attracting new ones.

Just because someone is EXP on AA doens't mean they're locked in. A lot of us are top-tier on multiple airlines.

Just becuase someone flies on corporate discounts doesn't mean they're locked in either. I work for 3 different companies, and each one has discounts with at least 3 airlines.

Also -- Benoit -- On FT it's generally considered polite behavior to identify yourself if you work for an airline, and to let everyone know what department you work for.
Old Aug 4, 2001, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Who does Benoit work for?
Old Aug 4, 2001, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

And this type of poor marketing --- as well as other actions -- do hit the bottom line.

I have noticed that my % of AA travel is way down this year and CO is up considerably -- mostly to Europe. And per my last budget report, my AA cost/roundtrip is down 18% so it is a double whammy to AA.

I have decided to give AA less of my business -- but enough to hit 100K. It's all about incremental revenue and AA has not gotten mine!
Old Aug 4, 2001, 8:04 pm

2 Many miles and plat flier, I don't work for an airline, does that make me polite by saying so now? *smile* Couldn't you have simply asked if I worked for an airline instead of implying I was rude for not saying so? Odd... I don't remember other people having to make similar declarations on here, was it because I raised a point of you view you didn't like to see expressed?

I can see why you wouldn't like lower odds of upgrades and so on, but it does benefit shareholders, employees, and even customers if AA does well financially. What would happen to your customer experience if AA had to slash routes and perks to stay afloat, and employees were glum due to massive layoffs? Not implying this step makes or breaks the airline, but it is a step in the right direction and every bit helps...

Anyway, you don't have to be an airline rep to see the business sense in this marketing move.
Old Aug 6, 2001, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Here is the reply from AA regarding the free gold offer:

Dear xxxxx,

Thank you for visiting the American Airlines Web site and for your
recent e-mail to AAdvantage Customer Service. I appreciate the
opportunity to assist you.

I can see from your account that you are definitely one of our most
frequent travelers. I'm told that the bonus was sent out semi-randomly
to only a small percentage of our best customers. I can understand how
somebody who works hard to earn a higher status could be unhappy about
an exception as big as this one, even if it is at our lowest elite
level. We will never have an offer remotely like it for the Executive
Platinum level. Your business is appreciated and you may be sure that
your comments have been taken seriously.

Again, thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond. I look
forward to assisting you again in the future.

Regards,

AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines
Old Aug 6, 2001, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAExecPlatFlier:
... I can understand how somebody who works hard to earn a higher status could be unhappy about an exception as big as this one, even if it is at our lowest elite level.
</font>
Although I can understand a company's need to implement a marketing strategy to lure new customers, I find the above comment quite insulting to the Gold flyers, i.e. those of us who earned it the old-fashioned way. As AA calls us the "lowest elite level", I definitely feel like we are not worth anything in their eyes for the 25K and more miles of business we give them every year.

Something else came to mind here too. Since there is clearly a situation where demand exceeds supply, evidenced by the numerous Gold requests here. I wonder if this will create some black market for the offers. What's to prevent someone from bidding and accepting one of these free Gold nominations?
I should think a Gold level is worth much more than just 2,500 miles to those who holds the key.

*P.S., this is a free country. I am not against anyone who gives it away nor anyone who requests it. It's AA that I am offended by.
Old Aug 7, 2001, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

I talked to someone today at AA marketing. I understand that this "free gold" was a test program and was limited to the LA area.
It has not gone over well and they have been surprised that there has been all of this out cry from the elite community (now that shouldn't be a surprise!). He indicated that this program was NOT going to be expanded.

8 phone calls (and thanks to my AA friends that work in various depts at AA that pointed me in the right direction!) and I finally got to AA AAdvantage marketing in Dallas and got some answers!

PS: The guy said he had heard rumors that someone had posted the goold status on e-bay!

Old Aug 7, 2001, 5:33 pm
R&R

With the DECREASE in Business travelers and leisure travelers, the EARLY retirement of aircraft due to lighter loads, this comp to the lowest level elite called GOLD (25,000 miles) should have little effect on the upgrades of the serious flyers.

AA must have projections for passenger loads into the near future. It is called competition and bringing in more potential NEW or FORMER passengers.

Of course, other airlines are doing the same, and a number of AA elite have opted to fly other airlines on comped elite status.

Old Aug 7, 2001, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Let me know what other airline(s) is/are allowing a certain group of elite's to sign-up people fro doing nothing as I would love to join another airline's elite program.
Old Aug 7, 2001, 9:53 pm

Lot of them will comp you the lowest level if you fax in a statement proving you are ex plat. Some may even give you mid level.
Some used to do this and replaced this with something equivalent to the gold/platinum challenge.
Good luck

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.