F award ticket for Swissair

Old Aug 5, 01, 10:27 am
Original Poster

F award ticket for Swissair

I am planning an F trip using AA miles for oneworld multicarrier award from Japan to Europe and include SR.

Could anyone comment if it is worth flying SR in F? The SR flight will be MD-11. Does it have sleeper seats/suits? How does it compare with CX/747, AA/777, UA/777/747, JL/747, BA/777, NH/747 in F?

(I have taken buz. on SR/MD-11 and I find it very mediocre, very similar to JL's buz.)
Old Aug 5, 01, 11:32 am

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
Chiangi --

SR is not a One World carrier. As such, they are not allowed on the One World multi-carrier awards.

You can, however, use AAdvantage miles to get an award ticket on SR. But not as part of a OW build-your-own award.
Old Aug 5, 01, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
For more information about SR first, check out http://first.swissair.com
Old Aug 6, 01, 9:29 am
Original Poster

2 Many Miles, I think AA can dip into award seats on some codeshares .... That's what I have booked. Perhaps, AA just doesn't care or notice it. It works when the non-SR operating carrier allows for award booking using miles/points from their properietary program. I really appreciates this as Star carriers strictly go by the operating carrier basis, no code shares.

airoli, thanks for the link. It looks very nice! Maybe I should try it for once.
Old Aug 6, 01, 11:21 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Swissair has full sleepers in their intl. aircraft. Their F service is ranked among the world's best. Enjoy.
Old Aug 6, 01, 11:30 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
You can't use a OneWorld Explorer mileage-based ticket on any codeshare flights. I learned this the hard way on a recent trip to Europe. It has to be each carrier's own operated flights only. So no SR.
Old Aug 6, 01, 11:45 am
Original Poster

I think Explorer usually refers to a revenue round-the-world ticket.

What I was talking about is oneworld multicarrier award tickets.

I would not say all codeshares are available for booking these tickets but there are flights available for them. This (including a SR flight) you can also do with AsiaMiles (CX program). AA would also issue a JL award ticket for a flight operated by SR (but F is not available, I think, or I hope I am wrong).
Old Aug 6, 01, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
Codeshares are specifically disallowed under the rules for awards. Be happy you got an agent who either didn't know the rules or else didn't care.
Old Aug 6, 01, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
Swiss Air MD-11s don't have PTVs so you may wish to reconsider or bring a big book!
All Airbus are well configured though. This of course is in J, not sure about F.

For the reservation, a codeshare may be accepted but when you actually ticket, it is different. I thought I was going to fly DFW-ZRH on SwissAir but ended up on AA metal last year. (
Old Aug 6, 01, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 2 Many Miles:
Codeshares are specifically disallowed under the rules for awards.</font>
I wonder if this is written down somewhere. I didn't bother to do it for the last SR flight but when I booked a JL flight (SR-operated codeshare), I checked with the agent if it is all right with a codeshare. She specifically said there are certain codeshares that they can book for awards. With CX, I checked with them twice. So, I am quite certain that I can book them.

I didn't ask for the rationale but it's usually those codeshares that the carrier needs to maintain a route. So they don't have any other services on that route. Not those codeshares intended to 'expand' their services on the route.
Old Aug 6, 01, 8:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by worldbanker:
Swiss Air MD-11s don't have PTVs so you may wish to reconsider or bring a big book!
</font>
Why the need for a big book when they hand out portable DVD players with many DVD films to choose from?
Old Aug 7, 01, 9:25 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by worldbanker:
All Airbus are well configured though. This of course is in J, not sure about F.
</font>
SR has not yet put the gadget back? Hmmm...it's been a long while.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
For the reservation, a codeshare may be accepted but when you actually ticket, it is different. I thought I was going to fly DFW-ZRH on SwissAir but ended up on AA metal last year. (
</font>
I just get a seat assignment for my next flight, a codeshare operated by SR, by calling SR (not AA). It is an SR flight with a new F configuration.

Was this new to anyone? Hasn't anyone done this? I thought you guys know.
Old Aug 7, 01, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Swissair decided not to reinstall an inflight entertainment system in their MD-11's as they will be replacing the aircraft with A340's starting July 2002. They now offer personal DVD players with 6(C)/12(F) movies to watch.

[This message has been edited by airoli (edited 08-07-2001).]

Search this Thread