FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   A first for me, as far as I know... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/147542-first-me-far-i-know.html)

johnndor Aug 6, 2001 7:34 am

A first for me, as far as I know...

Flying DFW-MCI Friday, the capt. made an annoucement:

"Just thought I'd let you know, we made that landing on auto-pilot. We have to check out the system once-in-a-while to make sure it's okay. Now you can say that you've been on an auto-landing."

Cool.

Kovich Aug 6, 2001 8:13 am

Cool, yes but I can't help thinking I would rather they test their systems without passengers on board!

bollar Aug 6, 2001 8:48 am

More landings than you might expect are on auto pilot. All Cat III landings in severely reduced visibility, for example, which would be a good number of the flights into LHR or LGW.

I'm surprised the pilot even bothered to mention it.

------------------
Party in the Metroplex -- September 21-23, 2001

PUCCI GALORE Aug 6, 2001 9:00 am

In more years of flying than I would like to mention, the only place that I have ever failed to land due to fog was LAX. We wound up in LAS, along with everyone and their cat.

This is so unremarkable that I wonder why the Captain bothered to say. They'll be telling yhou that they've used the landing gear next. You will know when they haven't.

Kovich Aug 7, 2001 4:12 am

I think they have been landing by wire since the 50s. The current system is GPS based which allows them to land on auto without having to approach dead on. Whatever, being the small kid that I am when on a plane I still think its cool that a computer lands the plane. Hopefully they will one day computerise the cabin service (in the cheap seats at least) and then maybe Pucci you'll be able to sit at the back all flight long waiting to act only in an emergency. If BA follow the US airlines and install high speed internet access you might be able to browse FlyerTalk all day and we wouldn't have to wait for your return from your travels for your postings.

TomCayman Aug 7, 2001 8:48 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bollar:
More landings than you might expect are on auto pilot. All Cat III landings in severely reduced visibility, for example, which would be a good number of the flights into LHR or LGW.

I'm surprised the pilot even bothered to mention it.

</font>
Not quite that routine, Bollar....

Up until a few years ago, every time BA had to do a Cat III landing at EDI or GLA (on LHR shuttle flights), they would hand out special "Cat III" ties (or scarves for the ladies) to everyone on the flight as a memento of the (zero vis) landing !