Wiki Posts
Search

AA refuses to ticket JL flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
AA refuses to ticket JL flights?

I'm new to AA (thanks to EXP challenge) and am trying to book my first few flights. I want to book a ticket to NRT, with JL as the operating carrier on the outbound, and AA on the return. Because I'd like to upgrade (with JMB miles), I need the outbound flight marketed by JAL as well. I realize that means the flight will then be fared according to JL's fare rules, and I'm fine by that---in fact, it's cheaper.

AA is telling me they will not ticket a non-AA marketed flight over the water?!? Is this SOP? What good is Oneworld, then? With DL, they were happy to ticket whomever I'd like as the marketing carrier (flew AF over the water all the time). Is it really the case that I'll need to go through a TA for all such bookings, thereby negating the advantages of the EXP line?

Last edited by Erasmus; Jun 12, 2013 at 4:45 pm Reason: Typos
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Have you tried booking online?

Do a booking with the "all carriers" option ticked and search by schedule. You may well find that aa.com will allow you to ticket that which you want
Old Jun 12, 2013, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
It must be in accordance with resolution 852.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just did a dummy booking on aa.com that would appear to meet the OP's specifications:

JL 65 SAN-NRT on the outbound

AA170 NRT-LAX inbound, connecting to
AA 2653 LAX-SAN

I don't see the problem; is it that AA won't ticket what aa.com permits me to place on hold?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I just did a dummy booking on aa.com that would appear to meet the OP's specifications:

JL 65 SAN-NRT on the outbound

AA170 NRT-LAX inbound, connecting to
AA 2653 LAX-SAN

I don't see the problem; is it that AA won't ticket what aa.com permits me to place on hold?
Precisely. I can do it online, but could not get the fare class I needed, so called in. (Need K fare or higher on JL to upgrade; the flight I need has lower-price availability that the website pulls.) The AAgent would not ticket JL 65, only the AA flight number. I asked for a supervisor, who said the same thing!?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
It must be in accordance with resolution 852.
Can you be more specific? I find:
the ticketing airline shall be any BSP Airline participating in the transportation, or a BSP Airline acting as the General Sales Agent for any airline participating in any sector of the transportation in the country of ticket issuance, provided that the selection of Validating Carrier conforms to the requirements of the fare rules where applicable and subject to the existence of a valid interline agreement between the ticketing airline and each transporting airline
AA seems to qualify to my understanding?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some carriers won't ticket unless a substantial segment is operated/marketed by the carrier whose ticket stock is being used, but your TPAC return on AA should satisfy this.

Did the conversation go far enough that they were aware that your return would be AA flights?

Have you tried making the reservation on the website and then calling to ask them to change the fare class/fare code on the JL segment, with either the agent completing the ticketing on the phone or you completing the purchase on line?

Is there a reason (other than a small fee) not to use a good real live human travel agent, who should be able to put a ticket together according to your specific instructions?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some carriers won't ticket unless a substantial segment is operated/marketed by the carrier whose ticket stock is being used, but your TPAC return on AA should satisfy this.

Did the conversation go far enough that they were aware that your return would be AA flights?
Yes, we built the entire itinerary, but the final price was not what I expected. When I pulled it up on the web, I saw they had booked the AA codeshare on the outbound contra my request. I asked the AAgent to change it, and she refused as discussed above.

Have you tried making the reservation on the website and then calling to ask them to change the fare class/fare code on the JL segment, with either the agent completing the ticketing on the phone or you completing the purchase on line?
I did not see an option to hold a reservation online? I'm new to AA.com, so perhaps I missed this option?

Is there a reason (other than a small fee) not to use a good real live human travel agent, who should be able to put a ticket together according to your specific instructions?
In the end, I did exactly that. But what good is the vaunted EXP desk if I can't actually get what I want done with the airline, and have to use a travel agent anyway?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Can you be more specific? I find:

AA seems to qualify to my understanding?
Does the relevant K fare on JL allow you to issue on AA stock by the fare rules?
(The second point is satisfied.)
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Does the relevant K fare on JL allow you to issue on AA stock by the fare rules?
(The second point is satisfied.)
YES. According to ExpertFlyer:

SALES RESTRICTIONS: TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF JL OR AA.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
As suggested by MSPeconomist View Post, you could try putting on hold a booking created online with whatever fare is available and the flights you are after.

Once you have the PNR for the held booking, call and request the booking be up-fared to K class for the JL65 segment.

You can then go back in, hopefully the booking will show the class and fare you are after, then you can complete the booking by paying.

To Hold a booking, go through to the payment page and see the option to hold.

It seems the hold icon does not appear if there's a JL flight in the routing:

FREE 24 Hour Hold

The cash option may have a default hold. But that does not appear either with a JL flight.

Last edited by serfty; Jun 12, 2013 at 9:39 pm
Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:17 am

I did not see an option to hold a reservation online? I'm new to AA.com, so perhaps I missed this option?
Bookings that include flights marketed by other airlines can not be put on hold on AA.com. That would be why you didn't see it.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Djokison
Bookings that include flights marketed by other airlines can not be put on hold on AA.com. That would be why you didn't see it.
Thanks.

In case anyone cares, I ended up ticketing with a travel agent, who of course plated it on JL stock since they are the first overwater carrier, but I still don't understand why the AAgent wouldn't plate it, as AA.com clearly will.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
But what good is the vaunted EXP desk if I can't actually get what I want done with the airline, and have to use a travel agent anyway?
Who's been vaunting the EXP desk? Five years ago it was indeed something special, but for the most part those days are gone. You'll still occasionally reach one of the remaining stellar agents. But for the most part, the value of the EXP telephone line in 2013 is that you spend less time on hold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.