Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In danger of losing AA Gold (I don't fly enough AA)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2001, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
In danger of losing AA Gold (I don't fly enough AA)

I have recently acquired AA Gold status through the "Gold Challenge" by getting Q-points as a result of flying CX (Cathay Pacific in F/J class). [Not joining Marco Polo Club on CX due to the lack of domestic upgrades on AA (you earn mileage in Asiamiles which i think is a bad FF program), and outrageous mileage requirements for transpacific CX upgrades for Asiamiles members].

Since I live in Vancouver Canada, my AA options are limited as I don't even fly AA (I choose to fly CX 888/889 between Vancouver and New York instead of AA flights via DFW or YVR-JFK nonstop on AA as CX has superior F/J service [usually as part of a RTW ticket, so I don't pay full fare]).

As a result, I am not able to do the 4 required AA segments to retain my AA Gold status? Any suggestions on what I can do to have AA exempt me from this kind of hell? Or will I have to go on a "segment run" (while most people do mileage runs)?

I want to be eligible for upgrades on domestic AA flights (in case I have to fly to US domestic destinations for job interviews etc. in places like DFW, ORD etc.) without having to pay full fare. (which non-status members have to do)

[This message has been edited by daniellam (edited 08-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by daniellam (edited 08-01-2001).]
Old Aug 1, 2001, 10:41 pm

Sounds like you will have to get some AA segment runs in to requalify for GLD. You could also do a PLT Challenge the same way you did the GLD Challenge, then you could enjoy Elite Status until 2/29/04 if you qualify now.

Studley

[This message has been edited by studley (edited 08-01-2001).]
Old Aug 1, 2001, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by studley:

Sounds like you will have to get some AA segment runs in to requalify for GLD. You could also do a PLT Challenge the same way you did the GLD Challenge, then you could enjoy Elite Status until 2/29/04 if you qualify now.
</font>
Maybe I'll just give up on Gold status and then do the PLT Challenge when I really need it. (I have enough miles in my account for upgrades, and I usually fly paid F/J when I fly CX anyways)

Old Aug 1, 2001, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Once you lose your status on AA, you cannot get upgraded unless its at the the gate, I think.

The 4 sector requirement on AA is part of the oneworld alliance rules to retain status. With AA, you'll get 100% bonus base miles if you get Platinum status, and 50% bonus base miles on Gold status. Surely that should be enough convincing to retain status.
Old Aug 2, 2001, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Guy Betsy: Only 25% bonus for Gold.

daniellam: If you can requalify then go for it! AA has flights from YYC-ORD as well - does that help any? Do you have to travel to the eastern US anytime, for instance? Even a YVR-DFW-BOS-DFW-YVR for example will get you the 4 required segments...

FewMiles..

------------------
FlyerTalkers' Resources on the Web: http://fewmiles.tripod.com/
Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage: http://fewmiles.tripod.com/AA/
Unofficial oneworld Info Desk: http://fewmiles.tripod.com/oneworld/
Old Aug 2, 2001, 1:28 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Do you have to travel to the eastern US anytime, for instance? Even a YVR-DFW-BOS-DFW-YVR for example will get you the 4 required segments...

FewMiles..

[/B]</font>
That would require a lot of upgrade stickers !! and the fare ex-YVR is a bit high.

I prefer to do some segments that are under 500 miles each if possible :-)

Old Aug 2, 2001, 6:03 am

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
I hate to ask this, but if you're not flying AA enough to get the 4 segments, are the domestic upgrade benefits really that important?
Old Aug 2, 2001, 6:11 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
1. if u dont fly AA at all, u only need the upgrade to turn into miles eventually?

2. try to fly from SEA. do SEA-SJC-LAS, e.g. not too much mileage, so not too many purchased upgrade required
Old Aug 2, 2001, 8:30 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Does anyone have experience with the 4 AA flight rule? I seem to remember when I did my platinum challenge that I didn't have any registered AA flights on AAdvantage but I still kept my status. I normally put my AA flights towards BA.
Old Aug 2, 2001, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
I believe that gold status gives you 25% bonus, not 50%.

------------------
DtG
Old Aug 2, 2001, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
You don't need any AA flights to do a Challenge. Any oneWorld flights that give AA Q-points will do. You need at least four segments on AA to qualify/requalify for any elite level via the normal process. This is independent of whether you qualify via miles, points or segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.