Qantas Club Privs at Admiral Clubs?

Old Jul 28, 01, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Qantas Club Privs at Admiral Clubs?

Hi. On a recent trip through Sydney I picked up an application for the Qantas Club program. With the favorable US/Australian exchange rate membership is much less expensive. First year is $587.24 AUD, which is about $290 US. And subsequent years are only $317.24 AUD, which is about $160 US.

I compare this with fees of $400 (for Gold) to signup for Admiral's club, and $350 for renewal.

What would I be losing by doing this? Anything I should be careful for? Thoughts?

Thanks!

------------------
Fly Airlines of the Web http://flyaow.com/
(My links to everything that flies on the web)
Old Jul 28, 01, 11:10 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Did you check out the current TWA rates? They may still be much cheaper.
Old Jul 29, 01, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Membership in one oneWorld airline's lounge does not get you into the others. I've been turned away (politely but firmly) from BA clubs when I had no reason besides an AC card for them to admit me.

To get into the AC, you have to buy a membership ($$ or miles) or match one of the combinations of elite level and/or class of service, all of which involve flying an OW airline on the day you want to get in.
Old Jul 29, 01, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

But it says in the Qantas club brochure, "You'll enjoy a global network of Qantas Club lounges, plus access to over 200 partner lounges worldwide with Qantas Club partner airlines British Airways, American Airlines, US Airways, Air Niugini and Solomon Airlines."

So what are the rules about using the Qantas club membership to access the AC lounges?

Cheers!

------------------
Old Jul 29, 01, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT
I think you're going to need to talk to the Qantas Club Service Center to get the scoop. As far as we know, you only get access to Admirals Clubs if you're a non-AA oneworld Emerald or Sapphire and don't even need to be a QF club member in those circumstances.

Here's the text from their application, which doesn't really help to clarify things, except to say that it's up to AA's discretion:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">10. ACCESS TO LOUNGES
10.1 Qantas Club Members and their guests are entitled to access The Qantas Club lounge in the departure port when their next onward flight on that day is with Qantas or a Qantas subsidiary.

10.2 Memberís Guest Passes are valid for use only when the guest is accompanied by the Member.

10.3 A Guest Pass is required for each Memberís guest.There is a limit of one guest per Member in international Qantas Club lounges and two guests per member in Australian domestic Qantas Club lounges.

10.4 Entry of Membersí guests will be subject to space availability.

10.5 Qantas Club staff have the discretion to refuse entry to any Member or guest at any time for any reason deemed appropriate by Qantas. Smart, casual dress standards apply at all times.

10.6 Entry to Partner Airline lounges is subject to the individual airlineís entry conditions and space availability and in any event, a restriction of a maximum of one guest per Member applies, unless otherwise specified.

10.7 Due to operational reasons, member access to Qantas Clubs and associated lounges may from time to time, be restricted.

10.8 Access policies for the use of Partner lounges may vary by partner. Current information can be obtained from the Qantas Club Service Centre.</font>
------------------
Party in the Metroplex -- September 21-23, 2001
Old Jul 29, 01, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
I was told by the AC service center a year or so ago that they had full reciprocity with Qantas Club. But I never went out and verified it.
Old Jul 29, 01, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Interesting backout that they have in their terms. I bet they all say that though. I guess it is going to come down to getting some sort of written policy from AC saying they accept Qantas Club members.

Any tips on how to get that in hand?

Cheers!

------------------
Old Jul 31, 01, 7:21 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Please the following for access to QF lounges. (I think it has tightened even more)

As far as I know , membership of QF Club DOES NOT get you automatic access to the AA lounge. You have to be flying in Biz or above to gain access with a QF ticket ot AA codeshare.

I think overall that most airlines are starting to really tighten down on the lounge access due to the increasing use byf alliance partners.

10. ACCESS TO LOUNGES
10.1 Qantas Club Members and their guests are entitled to access The Qantas Club lounge in the departure port when their next onward flight on that day is with Qantas or a Qantas subsidiary.

10.2 Memberís Guest Passes are valid for use only when the guest is accompanied by the Member.

10.3 A Guest Pass is required for each Memberís guest.There is a limit of one guest per Member in international Qantas Club lounges and two guests per member in Australian domestic Qantas Club lounges.

10.4 Entry of Membersí guests will be subject to space availability.

10.5 Qantas Club staff have the discretion to refuse entry to any Member or guest at any time for any reason deemed appropriate by Qantas. Smart, casual dress standards apply at all times.

10.6 Entry to Partner Airline lounges is subject to the individual airlineís entry conditions and space availability and in any event, a restriction of a maximum of one guest per Member applies, unless otherwise specified.

10.7 Due to operational reasons, member access to Qantas Clubs and associated lounges may from time to time, be restricted.

10.8 Access policies for the use of Partner lounges may vary by partner. Current information can be obtained from the Qantas Club Service Centre.

Search this Thread