Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2,385 Nutri Gain Twists To Go!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2001, 12:22 am
Original Poster

2,385 Nutri Gain Twists To Go!

In cases, that is, if I were to become 1MM!

Some stats:
115 - number of Twists cases that fits in my Accord cpe's trunk and half a backseat
1 hr - time it takes me to dissemble 35 cases of Twists
1 - number of extra miles cert I've found
75 - times the boxes told me "sorry, please try again" (some boxes don't have instant win)
12 - days I will visit Costco again to get more Twists
1 - picture taken of my mini (but growing) stack

I can do it!

------------------
WooHoo!
Old Jun 27, 2001, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
FlyingHammy, good luck to you. I had a weird thought about trying to get my husband's account up to 1 million miles...he has about 240,000 to go. I didn't know if I had the strength to do that, but since you seem to be gung-ho about this, perhaps I can do it. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...
Old Jun 27, 2001, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
Alright, keep up the good work! Remember to use a tile cutter to cut out the boxes, works better than scissors. Secondly, use address labels on each certificate. I have bought over 1000 of these at a discount.
Lastly, send in your mail registered with USPS. And remember that FedEx and other companies will not deliver express to PO boxes.

Lastly, check out the pictures from the Nutrigrains Castle to learn stacking techniques- it's a fairy tale with some "twists".
http://community.webshots.com/user/worldbanker

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Jun 27, 2001, 11:06 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by worldbanker:
Alright, keep up the good work! Remember to use a tile cutter to cut out the boxes, works better than scissors. Secondly, use address labels on each certificate. I have bought over 1000 of these at a discount.
Lastly, send in your mail registered with USPS. And remember that FedEx and other companies will not deliver express to PO boxes.
</font>
Got the labes, but fingers are sore from cutting 115 cases in one day - 460 boxes! Where can I get the tile cutter?

------------------
WooHoo!
Old Jun 27, 2001, 12:25 pm

FlyingHammy - aka Sore Fingers

Home depot - there are several choices. Use the cutter with a balde that comes in sections.
When the blade goes dull, move it up a notch and break off the section. A lot better than changing razor blades all the time.

If I recall they are like $5 -- a good deal for time saved.
Frank

------------------
TANSTASFL - but if you work it right, FF miles comes pretty close.
Old Jun 27, 2001, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by CFM3RD:
FlyingHammy - aka Sore Fingers
Home depot - there are several choices. Use the cutter with a balde that comes in sections.
</font>
Thanks! I will try to get another 200 cases today, at this rate I'll be going to Costco everyday for at least 15-20 days. A month of sore fingers! Although, I'm beginning to wonder if I should get 2500 cases, that's close to $10k for a million miles, is it worth it...?

------------------
WooHoo!
Old Jun 27, 2001, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Now FlyingHammy, don't go weak on me now. You're my inspiration, as well as all the others who are doing this.

Thanks, Frank, for the info on the tile cutter. I have to drive near a Home Depot today, so will check it out.

I took a bunch of Kellogg's items to the food bank again today. They know me by name now. The lady there said a couple called them from Santa Barbara (2 hours north of here) and said they were going to Costco to stock up on Eggos. Unfortunately, our local food bank's freezer wasn't up to snuff, but they farmed it out to another food facility that had a giant freezer. They did it for the miles. I wonder if they're FTers.

worldbanker, in order to show my husband that I'm not crazy, I pulled up the pictures of your castle yesterday and he was quite amazed. Thanks for putting them for all to see and be inspired by.
Old Jun 27, 2001, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Nanook:
[b]Now FlyingHammy, don't go weak on me now. You're my inspiration, as well as all the others who are doing this. [B]</font>
Ok, you can do it!

If I done the bars to food bank, can I get a tax deduction? But on the IRS website it said that you have to take into account the value of what you get from the items, which are the miles. If IRS value each mile as 2.2 cents, wouldn't that be more valuable than the bars?

------------------
WooHoo!
Old Jun 27, 2001, 1:32 pm

Keep up the good effort Flying Hammy. I think it's definitely worth it to make 1MM, as long as AA doesn't change this unpublished benefit. With the TWA transfers, I am slightly concerned. I would like to make it to 1MM before the TWA miles hit the AAdvantage accounts.

My Kelloggs tally: (all NutriGrain Twists)
516,000 miles credited
$4900 spent
9/10ths of a cent per mile

I have redeemed 6 first class tickets to Hawaii at Thanksgiving and am planning on 2 P class tickets to Europe next summer. I could not get even coach tickets for the amount I have spent on Kelloggs products. This does not even include the charitible deduction for all of the food donated.

What a great promotion!
Old Jun 27, 2001, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by flytoeat:
My Kelloggs tally: (all NutriGrain Twists)
516,000 miles credited
$4900 spent
9/10ths of a cent per mile
What a great promotion!
</font>
How did you mailed the certs? What should I do to ensure that they post the correct miles on my account?

True the value is great for 1st/biz tix, but I'd never spend $8000+ for these tix anyway. My domestic travel have always been under $200 by Priceline and Southwest. I guess I can use these for int'l traveling to Asia in the summer. But how easy is it to get an award tix?

------------------
WooHoo!
Old Jun 27, 2001, 3:47 pm

I mailed them via USPS Priority Mail with signature confirmation and insured them for the amount that I paid to get the Twists. I have had no problem with timely postings.

By the way, I disagree with your contention regarding the value of your contribution when donating the food. It is to be valued at the fair market value of the items being donated. Boxes with the mileage certificates are no more expensive than those without. It is a very slippery slope to try to value the mileage. The IRS has no provision for valuation of airline miles. You receive no charitible deduction when you donate mileage, for example. In my modest opinion (backed by queries to my 2 CPAs) you may take the full deduction.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by FlyingHammy:
How did you mailed the certs? What should I do to ensure that they post the correct miles on my account?

True the value is great for 1st/biz tix, but I'd never spend $8000+ for these tix anyway. My domestic travel have always been under $200 by Priceline and Southwest. I guess I can use these for int'l traveling to Asia in the summer. But how easy is it to get an award tix?

</font>
Old Jun 27, 2001, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by flytoeat:
I mailed them via USPS Priority Mail with signature confirmation and insured them for the amount that I paid to get the Twists. I have had no problem with timely postings.

By the way, I disagree with your contention regarding the value of your contribution when donating the food. It is to be valued at the fair market value of the items being donated. Boxes with the mileage certificates are no more expensive than those without. It is a very slippery slope to try to value the mileage. The IRS has no provision for valuation of airline miles. You receive no charitible deduction when you donate mileage, for example. In my modest opinion (backed by queries to my 2 CPAs) you may take the full deduction.
</font>
Flytoeat - shouldn't it be Eattofly?

How long does it take them to post the miles? Do you send them with some sort of cover letter?

I'll take the full tax deduction!

------------------
WooHoo!
Old Jun 27, 2001, 4:16 pm

I scratch out a summary of the number of certificates submitted and the commensurate mileage value that should be posted. The mileage posts ususally within 3-4 weeks.

Re: the charitible deduction, please get your CPA or tax prep person to back you on the full deductibility. If I have any questions from the IRS, my CPAs do the talking for me. That said, I am taking the full deduction.
Old Jun 27, 2001, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
Important to keep all receipts and document everything. If you donate enough that allows you to claim deductions, you will need to present proof if the time comes. As an individual, if your donation exceeds $2800 in a year, you can claim itemized deductions.

Since cereal bar wrappers are unopened, you should be able to get full value deduction of purchase price. There is no depreciation for cutting out a piece of cardboard. Unless you let the waffles defrost for 2 months in your garage.

Again though, ask your tax advisor first before taking any steps.

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Jun 27, 2001, 5:16 pm

flyinghammy,

Welcome to the world of Kelloggs. There are some real pros on this board. I am a minor leaguer. My total waffle purchase to date is only 125,000 miles. But.....I have much bigger plans. I sent in 100k 2 1/2 weeks ago that have not yet posted. I sent Kelloggs and e-mail first and told them they were coming and asked them how they wanted them bundled etc, etc. They asked me to put a brief note in the package accounting for how the miles should be posted. I sent in 25k on Tues. of this week with another enclosed letter in the package. I chose to send mine registered mail just for a little extra security. Some do, some don't. Good luck, its fun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.