Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I think I should get First Class???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2001, 4:08 am
Original Poster

I think I should get First Class???

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but our corporate travel department has booked my travel an American between PHX and LHR via ORD. We have purchased business class tickets for the water segment. In the past American has always put us in First for the PHX-ORD leg. (Some sort of comped auto upgrade) It was always confirmed seating at the time of booking. However, on my itenerary that I was given yesterday, I noticed that I am booked in economy for the PHX-ORD segment.

Can anyone tell me if I should be in First and the travel agent screwed up, or has AA done away with this comp?

Thanks
Wantok
Old Jul 26, 2001, 5:20 am

Programs: AA EP
There is something wrong. When you buy J over the water you domestic F.
I verified this on AA.com by plugging in dates in August PHX -xORD LHR -xORD PHX and got F domestically and J over the water.

We once had an agency that took our company's no domestic F to mean exactly that -- even though there is no additional cost to fly F when connecting internationally to J. I just called AA and had the tickets re-issued with F domestically. Agencies can price an itinerary with either Y or F as the domestic legs.

Call your travel agency. Or call AA.

Enjoy...
Old Jul 26, 2001, 6:23 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Are you positive this isn't the fault of your corporate agency? Maybe they are being too zealous enforcing a domestic travel policy (no F, etc.), or there is a negotiated rate for international travel that doesn't include the domestic portion.

Have you compared the price of your ticket to normal published tariffs?
Old Jul 26, 2001, 6:27 am

AAExecPlatFlier is certainly correct if you (as an individual) purchased your ticket from AA (or through your travel agent) at a published fare. However, you should check with your corporate travel department: it's conceivable that some companies have an arrangement with AA in which they'll get significantly discounted business class fares between the US and Europe and/or Asia, with any domestic segments in Y (or C if it exists).
Old Jul 26, 2001, 9:08 am

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
It is also possible that it was cheaper to "break" the fare in Chicago, e.g., buy two different round trip tickets (PHX-ORD-PHX ORD-LHR-ORD), in which case your domestic flights would be in coach. There are amazingly stupid low domestic coach fares out there now, so this may have resulted in it being cheaper to buy two tickets.
Old Jul 26, 2001, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
There are a lot of possibilities here. You could be booked into a "D" class, which is the mid-cabin on 3 cabin flights, but the economoy section in 2 cabin flights. You could also be on a split ticket.

If you can post the right-side info from the AA ticket receipt, or the complete fare-calculation line, I can give you a better answer.
Old Jul 26, 2001, 8:23 pm

"YUP" must be available for the automatic comp. upgrade to go thru, if this fare basis is not available you won't get the upgrade to F on the domestic portion.

------------------
It's better to be down here wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were down here!
Old Jul 27, 2001, 4:54 am

I can only advise you from LHR to PHX. If you have paid the full Business Class fare from PHX to LHR you should be in F class domestically. This is because, as you know J class is not available domestically. This is not an upgrade. I suspect that as someone wrote you have been given a lower fare and that involves an economy add-on to the J overwater fare. Just call AA and get a fare for the dates that you are flying and compare. If they are the same, then the agent has done it incorrectly.
Old Jul 29, 2001, 11:37 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
The company I work for has a policy where you can only get "F" on the domestic segment if the through price is the same (or lower!). On flights to Australia, for example, I've had about 50% success at getting F on the flight to SFO or LAX. Not sure why but it happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.