Urgent: What Did AA Do?!?!?!?

Old Jul 24, 01, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Urgent: What Did AA Do?!?!?!?

This is weird.

As I usually do everyday, I called about getting a mileage award upgrade on a JFK-SFO flight (AA15) for August 11.

The agent told me I was in luck and assinged me to seat 3A, a first class seat. problem is that I am booked in coach on this flight (and a cheap fare at that).

She said I need to redeem an award certificate for this flight (award code 15A).

What the heck happened here? How did this go from a coach ticket to a first class upgrade and when will the ball drop?

I can't believe I am going to get this lucky.
Old Jul 24, 01, 4:33 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Luck of the Irish, perhaps?

--------------------------------

A Hoosier who went to the best school in Indiana.
Old Jul 24, 01, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Perhaps not . . .

I called back just to verify that everything was cool and the agent said the first agent never put the upgrade through.

This does not at all surprise me as I doubt the system would allow for a double upgrade and I was pretty sure that she could have automatically deducted the miles eithout me needed a certificate.

What in God's name was she thinking (or should I say smoking?).

Anyway, I'm still in coach.
Old Jul 24, 01, 4:52 pm

You will be asked "how would you like to pay for the upgrade" once you chek in, at that point you should either have an award certificate, cash or enough credit on your card.. :-(
The ball won't drop!

------------------
It's better to be down here wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were down here!
Old Jul 25, 01, 12:59 am

Same thing happened to me in May. I would say to definitely have it fixed now by getting the certificate and re-ticketing (unless you have an e-ticket or don't care what your paper ticket says, trusting it is correct in AA system and your seat will still be there at check-in on 8/11). It took me a few trips to the ATO to get mine fixed. Seemed like a not-so-uncommon problem (happened to you and me and ?) but not-so-easy for them to understand and fix.
Old Jul 25, 01, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The more I think about this situation, the more angry I become. After the agent offered me seat #a, I told her that that was a first class seat and that I probably shouldn't get it. She then spent about five minutes checking with the powers that be (while I was on hold) and she came back and said everythign was fine. It wasn't until I called back a half hour later that I learned that she did not put the upgrade through.

Of course, when I called back, there was no upgrade seat in business class available. I think that AA should release a seat in business class and let me upgrade using miles. That strikes me as a fair solution to this problem.

Search this Thread