Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 763 - The New "AA Jalopy Bird" ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
AA 763 - The New "AA Jalopy Bird" ?

In the UA forum, 767-300s were known as ghetto birds. Now that UA has refurbished theirs I think the title now belongs to American and their 767's. My recent flight from DFW-MIA was in a beat to shreds business cabin. Armrest wobbly, all the plastics around the seat showing mass wear and tear, two tone interior, newer style in business older in coach. Bulkhead business seats feel more cramped than domestic first (although much more legroom and recline). No personal entertainment, no Wi-Fi, No air vents. Anything else to add? What do you all think, Can we deem the 767-300's ghetto birds or am I simply being too harsh!?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:45 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I prefer them to the 757 galley ships, or any other narrow body in AA's fleet.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 5, 2013 at 9:56 am Reason: redact terminology
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
While I often actively book on the 763s it's the 762s I dislike. Burning a SWU on the LAX-JFK portion of a LAX-JFK-LHR always pains me when I know if I'd booked earlier I could have gone direct or via DFW. The business cabin on a 762 is dire IMO.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Did you ever fly in one of UA's 763 Ghetto Birds? The F cabin was more cramped than F on the left side of an AA MD-80! Seat pitch was terrible.

AA's 763s are luxurious (if a bit dated) in comparison.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Stripy
While I often actively book on the 763s it's the 762s I dislike. Burning a SWU on the LAX-JFK portion of a LAX-JFK-LHR always pains me when I know if I'd booked earlier I could have gone direct or via DFW. The business cabin on a 762 is dire IMO.
Could it be better? Yes. And it will be within the next year. But I am perfectly happy to be in J on a 762 vs many of the alternatives. The worst part about the cabin to me is the terrible design of the overhead bins.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by CVCONDE
Did you ever fly in one of UA's 763 Ghetto Birds? The F cabin was more cramped than F on the left side of an AA MD-80! Seat pitch was terrible.

Do you mean the old UA's 763?
There is no old configuration 763 anymore.
It's either 2 or 3 class cabin with lie-flat seats in F/C.
There is no comparison between the old AA 763s to UA's reconfiguration ghetto birds.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by pigx5
Do you mean the old UA's 763?
There is no old configuration 763 anymore.
It's either 2 or 3 class cabin with lie-flat seats in F/C.
There is no comparison between the old AA 763s to UA's reconfiguration ghetto birds.
Yes. The OP (as am I) is referring to the old UA 763 that were referred to as Ghetto Birds.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The older 763s will go to the junkyard once the 787s come on board albeit with Boeing who knows when. Possibly the merger will speed up the retirement with the US 332/333.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:10 am

AA's 763's are also luxurious (and a bit dated!) compared to DL's domestic 763's, which also have terrible pitch in F. Give me an AA 763 anytime, and I'll bring my own in-flight entertainment...

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Yes. The OP (as am I) is referring to the old UA 763 that were referred to as Ghetto Birds.
But it doesn't exist anymore....
UA's ghetto bird C is like this now:

I don't think there is any meaning to compare current AA product to the past UA product and said how AA's current product
is more luxurious than the old UA product.

I would however agree that it's easier to get upgrade on those old products no matter on AA or UA and
worse C/F is always better than Y.

I also wish to see AA's new product sooner.

Last edited by pigx5; Jun 4, 2013 at 11:49 am

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
No real complaints from me when 763s show up on domestic routes. 30 J seats sold as F make for easy upgrades. I'll take the rattiest F seat in the world over any Y seat any day and twice on Sunday.

I prefer it to 772 on international J because the middle two seats have direct aisle access unlike the 772 2-3-2 arrangement.

Last edited by andreirublev; Jun 4, 2013 at 10:16 am
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
The Eisenhower era brown F seat 752 is the real ghetto bird...
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No, we are not going to use "ghetto bird" and its racial connotations in this forum to describe the older 767-323ER. I have retitled the thread, but if anyone comes up with a non-loaded term that is more poetic, etc. feel free to AMP/RBP or PM the moderators.

We'll stay with "jalopy bird" for now.

Thanks,

American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 6, 2013 at 8:51 am Reason: add / edit
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: AA, UA
AA's 763 are good if a bit dated - the only significant drawback is the small overhead bins in coach. I love getting upgraded on domestic flights on the 763 - the business seats are amazing compared to any coach seat.

I prefer the 763 - and any AA aircraft for that matter - over the non-refurbished 757s (which I consider to be AA's "ghetto planes").
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I can't say I hate the 763 - whilst dated, they seem to be fairly reliable and comfortable (especially compared to Economy or MCE). On overnights, I usually choose the middle row (D or G) so I can have untrammeled aisle access, and can sleep well on a transatlantic flight.

A number of 763s will be sold off / parked in the desert, others will likely be recipients of some kind of CIP at some point if retained long enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.