Wiki Posts
Search

New A319 Seat Configuration Confirmed: 8/18/102

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
IF this is true, then why are airlines flying them?
There are lots of valid answers to that question, but foremost is, becase that's what US and NW bought 10-15 years ago, maybe when oil (as a proxy for jet fuel) was $14/barrel not $94/barrel as it is today. Aircraft and training are all sunk costs - spares, somewhat less so.

The A318 is such a pig that Frontier scrapped (not dumped on some other operator, scrapped) some planes that were less than three years old.

There's no doubt a 319 costs quite a bit more per seat mile to operate than a 321. It's easier to fill ~120 seats at higher average fares than ~180 seats, however; maybe that will cover the higher cost per passenger. AA as an enterprise is going to be big enough to have economically viable fleets of several (even many) types. It's a lot harder to make a case for supporting all 763/787/772/77W/332/333/358/359. IMHO, that's a situation ripe for rationalization.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There are lots of valid answers to that question, but foremost is, becase that's what US and NW bought 10-15 years ago, maybe when oil (as a proxy for jet fuel) was $14/barrel not $94/barrel as it is today. Aircraft and training are all sunk costs - spares, somewhat less so.

The A318 is such a pig that Frontier scrapped (not dumped on some other operator, scrapped) some planes that were less than three years old.

There's no doubt a 319 costs quite a bit more per seat mile to operate than a 321. It's easier to fill ~120 seats at higher average fares than ~180 seats, however; maybe that will cover the higher cost per passenger. AA as an enterprise is going to be big enough to have economically viable fleets of several (even many) types. It's a lot harder to make a case for supporting all 763/787/77W/772/332/333/358/359. IMHO, that's a situation ripe for rationalization.
Delta has a fleet of 763/764/332/333/772/77L/744, with the 787 on order. It's actually not all that bad; they can tailor the plane to route demand pretty well, especially since they have some spots like SEA/PDX where you can do things like fly a 763 TPAC.

I suspect AA will be quite happy to keep the recent US birds on the property (they'll ditch the 762s)- the A333s and A332s have the same seat model in C that AA is deploying, and the A332 could be used on some TPAC routes out of LAX.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 2, 2013 at 8:28 am
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
not that i like the news of a VERY small F cabin, but of the 400+ planes in the fleet modernization order, only 65 of them are A319s, only 16% of the new aircraft.
That will be very comforting to those elites relegated to econ on a plane that seats almost as many as AA's current MD-80s.

Actually, I disagree with your claimed percentage.

What we know so far is that of the first 130 Airbus delivered, half of them will be A319s, equipped with just 8 F seats. 100% of the A319s, 50% of the Airbus.

I don't think that AA has hinted or announced how the "neo" order (the second 130 Airbus) will be split between A319s, A320s or A321s.

If AA ends up with just 65 A319s, then that would represent just 14% of the 460 total single-aisle planes on order (260 Airbus, 200 737s). Don't forget that US already has 93 A319s in its stable, making it the most numerous type at US.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Just checked ORD > SJD to EOY and was 'elated' to find my Luvable Mad Dogs 2 + 3
seating, still on this run.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Am I the only one that finds that this is a truly hilarious thread?

Cry, cry, complain, complain: I can't believe that I will not receive my F class seat. How dare AA try to improve their bottom line and not give me complimentary upgrades. It doesn't make sense why they are configuring the aircraft like this.

The point of upgrades for elites is to keep the elite happy by giving them upgrades if there are any other seats available. If you want F, buy F.

I'm starting to laugh at the notion of people actually choosing to inconvenience oneself by flying a more indirect routing to avoid this aircraft.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:03 am
dw
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by BA0197
The point of upgrades for elites is to keep the elite happy by giving them upgrades if there are any other seats available. If you want F, buy F.
Perhaps... but UA realized long ago that they needed to placate elites who did not get upgraded with pretty generously sized Econ+ cabins. That's not the case with AA's A319 config.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by dw
Perhaps... but UA realized long ago that they needed to placate elites who did not get upgraded with pretty generously sized Econ+ cabins. That's not the case with AA's A319 config.
This I agree with. I think MCE is a brilliant product and truly makes a difference in the comfort of the flight.

I am curious to see whether they will charge for tv, only charge for films, allows elites free access (with everyone else paying) or a combination if the above.

AA truly has a chance to up their game from the other legacies by offering free tv.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dw
Also, while $misek may have been incredulous to the fact, PMUA's E+ actually made a good amount of $$$. So much so he had to do a 180 on his belief that they'd scrap it post-merger.

What may be more interesting here is that it's AA projecting MCE hasn't been going so hot for them in terms of ancillary revenue $?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Yikes...I remember when AA converted the S80s to 16F years ago and were touting how then all planes in their fleet would have a minimum of 16F seats....guess that doesn't matter to them anymore!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by BA0197
AA truly has a chance to up their game from the other legacies by offering free tv.
Free network TV? It's hard to see that making any positive impact on AA's bottom line.....
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Also, while $misek may have been incredulous to the fact, PMUA's E+ actually made a good amount of $$$. So much so he had to do a 180 on his belief that they'd scrap it post-merger.

What may be more interesting here is that it's AA projecting MCE hasn't been going so hot for them in terms of ancillary revenue $?
Is AA selling MCE for $'s? I thought they were currently giving most of the seats away?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bernardd
Is AA selling MCE for $'s? I thought they were currently giving most of the seats away?
Its free for Elites (GLDs will lose this benefit in 2014), but for sale for others..

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by FWAAA
And for many years, the bulk of the MD-80s featured 14 F seats (before 100+ MD-80s got 20 F seats to facilitate upgrades). 20 or 14 or today's 16 down to just 8?
When did they have 20? I remember when they went from 14 to 16, but was there a time long ago that they had 14, then went up to 20, then back to 14?

Originally Posted by vxmike
I'd expect AA to use their planes in whichever manner reduces their fuel or other operational costs.

Outside of transcons and a few select premium markets how often are more than 8 premium seats sold on any kind of regular basis? I'm sure that elites getting fewer upgrades is at the bottom of AA's list of concerns. I'm sure that selling more coach seats is worth more than selling two 500 mile upgrades to a Gold or Plat member for an F seat.

There are three legacy carriers remaining in the USA, and free upgrades are declining on all of them.
Agreed. AA has focused more on selling F (albeit at very discounted rates) and, much like UA did, it probably sees MCE as a way of appeasing elites who will lose upgrades. This will also work better with more of a revenue-based qualification system.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Its free for Elites (GLDs will lose this benefit in 2014), but for sale for others..

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp
Yes, I realise that, but are they ACTUALLY selling many per flight? The costs I've seen don't seem attractive and there are a lot of elites out there, plus some flexible ticket coach travelers using corporate deals.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Boo. 8F is a sad statement for AA. AA, please keep these dogs on the East Coast for shorter routes... Maybe JFK connectors instead of the ERJs? Less F than the 9 on the CRJ7s, really? Less F than the recent E175 purchase (12), seriously? "Republic Airways will acquire 53 Embraer E-175 jets featuring a two-class cabin with 12 First Class seats and 64 seats in the Main Cabin"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.