Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone been to Seoul on AA

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle

I'm thinking about booking a trip on the new AA service from DFW to ICN. Has anyone been on one of those flights since they started? I'm curious to know how it was?

TIA,
Randidliyo
Old May 29, 2013, 5:54 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Probably a lot of people

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ct-2012-a.html

(Search term {"seoul"})

Cheers.
Old May 29, 2013, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Originally Posted by brp
Probably a lot of people

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ct-2012-a.html

(Search term {"seoul"})

Cheers.
Yes, I did that. That thread has hardly any trip reports on the ICN service and very few details. I'm looking for a trip report, not a link to the only slightly relevant thread that pops up with the work Seoul. Thanks though.
Old May 29, 2013, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sure it's like any AA long haul to Asia, except the announcements will be made in English and Korean rather than in English and Japanese or Mandarin. Many trip reports on AA to Asia in the TR forum.
Old May 29, 2013, 8:07 pm

I had a relative fly DFW-ICN early this week in business class, and it sounded like a typical crappy AA TPAC service.
They didn't load many components of Korean meals, and the best part was being awoken midflight by an FA who told him to close the blinds.
Old May 29, 2013, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by randidliyo
Yes, I did that. That thread has hardly any trip reports on the ICN service and very few details. I'm looking for a trip report, not a link to the only slightly relevant thread that pops up with the work Seoul. Thanks though.
If you wanted a trip report, then you might want to try the trip reports forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...rean-food.html
Old May 30, 2013, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
If you wanted a trip report, then you might want to try the trip reports forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...rean-food.html
I saw that too, and I should have been more specific. That report doesn't describe a trip on the new DFW-ICN service and instead refers to a trip in J on the DFW-NRT service. I'll be in coach on the DFW-ICN route. Has anyone been on that flight?

randidliyo
Old May 30, 2013, 5:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
http://www.jaunted.com/story/2013/5/...l,+South+Korea

Just saw this on twitter
Old May 30, 2013, 5:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As others have pointed out, you may have better luck hitting up the Trip Reports forum, or checking blogs/Twitter for others' experiences.

That said, the service on this route in economy will be substantially similar to service from US gateways to NRT, so you can read comments on those flights to help guide you.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
I've flown it in J, so I can't comment on coach.

It was like any other longhaul flight. 14H30 going and 13H45 returning. I didn't have too much time to connect, so didn't spend much time in the lounges. On the return, make sure you leave more than the minimum connection time as a colleage who doesn't have Global Entry nearly missed his connection to RDU due to crowds and long processing time at the border.

Food was typical with Korean options. FAs didn't seem to know about pre-orders but were otherwise attentive through the flight. The 772 serves the route, so expect the wedgie seat in J. Load factors looked good and J was full. I had booked more than 30 days out and at that time J was nearly empty, so my upgrades cleared well in advance. I sat in the middle aisle on the right side of the plane since the guy stuck in the very middle will tend to go left when heading for the lav.

Other than AA staff hovering over the agents checking folks in and again at the gates making sure things went smoothly, there's not much else to report. It was actually one of the better experiences I've had with AA lately, given that it was completely uneventful. What exactly were you looking for?

Last edited by sinanju; May 30, 2013 at 7:05 am
Old May 30, 2013, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mainbill
the best part was being awoken midflight by an FA who told him to close the blinds.
I would have been livid. It is the passenger in the window seat's choice what to do with the window blinds. Period. The FA can request politely but awakening a passenger or ordering a passenger is entirely inappropriate.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:58 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by randidliyo
I saw that too, and I should have been more specific. That report doesn't describe a trip on the new DFW-ICN service and instead refers to a trip in J on the DFW-NRT service. I'll be in coach on the DFW-ICN route. Has anyone been on that flight?

randidliyo
Sorry, but what you're looking for is still unclear.

Is this about the aircraft being used? If so, it is not a new aircraft, so there are already descriptions about that.

Is it about the food? If so, the menus thread would be the best place to look/ask.

Is it about the service of the FAs? If so, these are not new FAs, so this would be expected to mirror any long-haul, particularly Asian, service, with the same range of experiences.

Is it about the destination? The Asia forum might be a better place.

Is there some other factor unique to this route not covered above and not already discussed elsewhere?

Cheers.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Welcome to the AA window shade police.

It's happened to me a few times in J & F

Originally Posted by sts603
I would have been livid. It is the passenger in the window seat's choice what to do with the window blinds. Period. The FA can request politely but awakening a passenger or ordering a passenger is entirely inappropriate.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by sts603
A few years ago I was rudely told by a first class flight attendant to close my window shade at 3:00am, on a flight that was scheduled to land before sunrise. When I balked, I was threatened with punishment for "not obeying flight crew instructions". Seriously. I reported the flight attendant and received a swift and sincere apology from AA and a promise they would talk to her supervisor about it.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by mach92
Welcome to the AA window shade police.

It's happened to me a few times in J & F
I've also had FAs tell me to put the shade down; I usually end up "negotiating" with them to leave it half open as typically this happens on westbound TATL flights where I prefer to stay awake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.