Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone been to Seoul on AA

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Actually, I do have that seat and I was concerned about that as well. SeatGuru has it coded red, I'm guessing because of the escape slide. I'm wondering how far out it extends. I'm tall and I like to get up without having to disturb anyone and I like to not have someone cranking back their seat into my lap. It seems that row 31 is preferrable to some of the Premium economy seats, right?
1. There is no premium economy on the 777-200 at this time.
2. 31A/J is fine with acres of legroom. The escape slide does not take away your legroom. The seat can get chilly, so plan ahead.
3. Seatguru is useless.
4. See point 3
Old May 31, 2013, 2:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Antarius
2. 31A/J is fine with acres of legroom. The escape slide does not take away your legroom. The seat can get chilly, so plan ahead.
3. Seatguru is useless.
4. See point 3
All solid advice here.

One thing I'd point out is that even Seat Expert has 31A and 31J listed as "orange" (whatever that means--what happened to red, yellow, green?) with one of the downsides listed as "restricted legroom". I suppose if we're talking about Gheorghe Mureșan, there may be enough leg involved to be disturbed by the slide, but my partner and I always select these seats when in economy on this aircraft and neither she nor I have ever had a complaint about legroom, so I think they're perfectly fine. Other caveats about window location and temperature are definitely accurate though.
Old May 31, 2013, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
3. Seatguru is useless.
4. See point 3
Thanks for the relevant information. One final question, do you know if there is personal on-demand entertainment? or just the overhead screen?

TIA,
Randidliyo
Old May 31, 2013, 6:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
All 777s have PTVs in all cabins.
Old May 31, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Flew this route in business this month

Hi. Mr. Silver Springer and I flew DFW-ICN May 16 and return May 21.

As others described it was similar to AA Asia flights but the food service was definitely nicer in business than my flight in business last November to NRT. There were three separate served meal services. There was a full dinner service with separate courses (you could choose your entree online ahead of time) and ending with ice cream sundaes. There was a midflight snack service with sandwiches and a sweet as well as snacks available in the galley. Then there was a lunch before we landed. The flights were only half full in business with a lot of empty seats in coach too. While Americans might have been scared of due to North Korean threats, the South Koreans don't pay much attention to it and go on with their lives as normal.
The airport limousine bus to the city at 15,000 won (about $15) is a great deal and takes an hour.

Cheers, Mary Anne
Old May 31, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
3. Seatguru is useless.
4. See point 3
All agreed.

However, there is one downside to those seats and that's the proximity to the lav. While I was in J for my flight to ICN, I had a colleague in one of those seats and he was disturbed a couple of times by folks kicking his feet while they shuffled around in that area waiting their turn for the loo. That problem affects B and H more, both of which seatguru has coded green while A and J tend to be safer from that, which seatguru has coded red.

Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, do not taunt happy fun ball.
Old May 31, 2013, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Originally Posted by silver springer
Hi. Mr. Silver Springer and I flew DFW-ICN May 16 and return May 21.

As others described it was similar to AA Asia flights but the food service was definitely nicer in business than my flight in business last November to NRT. There were three separate served meal services. There was a full dinner service with separate courses (you could choose your entree online ahead of time) and ending with ice cream sundaes. There was a midflight snack service with sandwiches and a sweet as well as snacks available in the galley. Then there was a lunch before we landed. The flights were only half full in business with a lot of empty seats in coach too. While Americans might have been scared of due to North Korean threats, the South Koreans don't pay much attention to it and go on with their lives as normal.
The airport limousine bus to the city at 15,000 won (about $15) is a great deal and takes an hour.

Cheers, Mary Anne
Thanks for telling me about everything that I'll be missing, since I've stated a couple of times that I'll be in coach. Good to know that I'll have PTV, tho.
Old May 31, 2013, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Microwave
All 777s have PTVs in all cabins.
The PTVs are small and the quality/selection is pretty mediocre. It doesn't hurt to bring a book (or two) and some IFE of your own.

You also should get free wine + beer in coach on this route...
Old May 31, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the OP values video entertainment and owns a tablet, a laptop or a portable DVD player, then the OP should bring it, along with desired content, as the AA personal screens and lousy content selection are guaranteed to disappoint.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
is "main cabin extra" really "premium economy"? I thought it was just standard coach with a few more inches of leg room

And really, what do you get in other airlines' "premium economy" ?? The same, or something more than a bit more leg room.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
is "main cabin extra" really "premium economy"? I thought it was just standard coach with a few more inches of leg room

And really, what do you get in other airlines' "premium economy" ?? The same, or something more than a bit more leg room.
The 777-200 has neither premium economy nor MCE at this time.

PE on other airlines is somewhere between J and Y, unlike MCE which is much closer to Y than J. The seats are bigger, some have footrests, premium meals etc.

Here is a picture of JAL's PE product for example

Last edited by Antarius; May 31, 2013 at 12:59 pm
Old May 31, 2013, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
...really?
Old May 31, 2013, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by LAXative
...really?
yeah.. really. I've never flown in it, so I am not familiar with it.
Old May 31, 2013, 1:13 pm

The 777-200 has neither premium economy nor MCE at this time.

PE on other airlines is somewhere between J and Y, unlike MCE which is much closer to Y than J. The seats are bigger, some have footrests, premium meals etc.

Here is a picture of JAL's PE product for example
thanks.
Old May 31, 2013, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Don't forget lounge access. priority lines, and bonus miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.