Please lower your window shades

Old Jul 9, 2001, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Please lower your window shades

Sun 7/08, DFW-DTW, mid-afternoon. As we taxi out, from the captain:

"Please lower your window shades. It's pretty hot outside, and this will help keep the cabin cool until after takeoff".

Anyone else heard this before?

Old Jul 9, 2001, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
I've heard it before from the crew after landing on both Eagle and mainline. I guess they do it for insulation when they use the ground AC. I've seen Eagle pilots put sunshades on the front winshields of Saabs while parking.
Old Jul 9, 2001, 10:53 pm

Maybe it was just an excuse for you not to see the wing falling off due to the massive fire from the engine that just blew up? Sorry, couldn't resist.

------------------
preez mine da pratform gahp.
Old Jul 9, 2001, 11:42 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by swag:
[B]Sun 7/08, DFW-DTW, mid-afternoon. As we taxi out, from the captain:

"Please lower your window shades. It's pretty hot outside, and this will help keep the cabin cool until after takeoff".

were they asking you to lower it during takeoff? or until takeoff? We lower the shades if we are sitting in the plane for an extended period by ourselves. They should not be lowered during takeoff in case you have an accident and need to assess outside conditions.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT
Under normal conditions, the HVAC at DFW can only lower the temperature in the plane & jetbridge by 20 degrees F. In the summer, lowering the window shades may squeeze a few extra degrees out of the system and when the outside temperature is 100+, every little bit helps.

------------------
My Aviation Pages
My Travel Pages
Old Jul 10, 2001, 6:20 am

Bollar! A certain lady and I were discussing you but yesterday! She told me that you had been in SA, as I wondered what had become of you!

Interesting thread, living in Britain this is not something that we concern ourselves with often. I for one would not want the shades down during taxi or take off. I have never heard that before, on the contrary I have heard them ask for them to be lifted.

Paul
Old Jul 10, 2001, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I think they said "to keep it cool until after takeoff", but I don't remember the exact wording. And there was no announcement to open them again, neither before nor after takeoff.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 12:55 pm

Location: San Jose, CA; AA Plat, CO Silver, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Only once...

on a Fokker 100 from PHI to ORD. What a horrible plane. Such weak A/C and with the sun beating down outside, the crew asked passengers to lower their window shades.

They need to retire those F100s, but I already vented this in a post a while back, so I'll stop.

Regards,
Ryan
Old Jul 10, 2001, 1:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by swag:
</font>
I used to be skeptical about this until I was on a 1-stop through MIA. After all the non-through passengers deplaned and the ramp A/C had done its best, the crew went through and lowered all the window shades... it made a noticeable difference.

[This message has been edited by martin33 (edited 07-10-2001).]
Old Jul 10, 2001, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PAUL PALMER:
Bollar! A certain lady and I were discussing you but yesterday! She told me that you had been in SA, as I wondered what had become of you!

</font>
Five weeks worth of backed up work is what happened! If I had known that it would have been this bad coming back, I would have stayed in SA!
Old Jul 10, 2001, 4:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by swag:
Sun 7/08, DFW-DTW, mid-afternoon. As we taxi out, from the captain:

</font>
After landing in a Eagle Saab. I guess they do not have a ground power pack or something and could not run the AC without the engines running. So they wanted to keep it cool for the next flight..

Old Jul 10, 2001, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Just in Vegas on a Sun Country flight.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2 MM, DL PLT
This is pretty common (at least on the flights I've been on) between LAX-LAS and SJC-LAS while we were parked at the gate. Closing the shades actually did help keep the cabin cooler, as it blocked out the blazing sun.
Old Jul 11, 2001, 7:42 am

Bollar! Five weeks of holiday! You are positively europeanising. Good for you. All those trips to Ham last year are doing you good!
Old Jul 11, 2001, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Speaking of shades, what ever happened to the effort by FA's to get people to lower their shades during daytime movie flights? Seems like no one even makes an effort any more...I know some people like to use the outside light for reading and want the sense of spaciousness achieved by looking out the window, and closing the shades should not be mandatory, but I think most people are willing to comply if asked nicely?

This request may be less of an issue in premium cabins on int'l flights with personal videos, but that's not the case on domestic flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.