New to AA

Old May 24, 13, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.
New to AA

This probably needs to be in the NEWBIE thread. Finally I have decided to give up on UA and their broken promises to longtime 1K and 2MM customers. As a new AA platinum, what are the chances of being upgraded on AA flights? My home airport is Palm Springs and I travel to ORD, DTW, and PHL 3-4 times per year. Any help would be appreciated.
Old May 24, 13, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just commenting on the ORD flight, as that's all I have experience with. I would say pretty good on the PSP->DFW leg, but horrible on DFW->ORD. In general, a flight from one hub to another hub is very elite-heavy.
Old May 24, 13, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
For your DTW flights you will likely connect at ORD or DFW. I make that trip frequently but am PHX based. ORD to DTW is Eagle with no upgrades. DFW to DTW or the reverse can be very elite heavy depending on the day of the week.
Old May 24, 13, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Only one data point: I've missed 2 upgrades this year (out of 30 domestic segments) & one of them was DFW-PSP. The Friday evening flight.
I'm EXP.
Old May 24, 13, 12:36 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by CalRef View Post
Finally I have decided to give up on UA and their broken promises to longtime 1K and 2MM customers.
Be really careful here. What kinds of "promises" were broken? And why do you believe that AA will necessarily be any better, in the long run, about not changing FF program rules in ways that you don't like? I'm pretty happy with AA at present, but I hold no illusions that there won't be changes of things "promised" that I won't like.

Cheers.
Old May 24, 13, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
The non-stop (seasonal) from PSP-ORD is a very tough upgrade. I have actually burned systemwides or paid miles/co-pay upgrades to lock them in. Now there is still an ORD-PSP non-stop, but that is a tough one also. Lots of old folks have their kids buying them upgrades I expect. I would drive to LAX for more reasonable upgrade possibilities on AA.
Old May 24, 13, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Be really careful here. What kinds of "promises" were broken? And why do you believe that AA will necessarily be any better, in the long run, about not changing FF program rules in ways that you don't like? I'm pretty happy with AA at present, but I hold no illusions that there won't be changes of things "promised" that I won't like.

Cheers.
Since the OP probably got matched to PLT, and travels from PSP to ORD/DTW?PHL 3-5 times per year, one "promise" AA just made is next year he/she probably won't be PLT, and maybe not even GLD! (No more soft landings)
Old May 24, 13, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by CVCONDE View Post
Since the OP probably got matched to PLT, and travels from PSP to ORD/DTW?PHL 3-5 times per year, one "promise" AA just made is next year he/she probably won't be PLT, and maybe not even GLD! (No more soft landings)
I guess OP got matched to EXP last year and soft landed to PLT this year.

I would like to know why OP finally gave up UA.
Old May 24, 13, 2:18 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Can I give some witness

Can't speak for OP but can speak as former CO/UA MM 1K matched to EXP in the last Q of 2012.
Thought I had made / exceeded the mileage qualification mark and online account info said so, but later DG'd to Gold. There was a "misunderstanding" about credit accrued during a DEQM period. Response was essentially the classic "TS" No soft landing to Plat, got Gold for 2013.

Comparing UA to AA - SSDD, as they say. Both have pluses and minuses. AA planes tend to be older and for intl less comfortable, but inflight service is a notch or two above what I was used to at UA. AA IRROPS handling sucked. AA clubs not a lot different than Prez clubs overall - some nicer, some not. FF perks = meh, with the inflation of too many elites and the merger related concentration of travel through hubs, the days of easy perks for lower and mid tiers are gone.
Old May 24, 13, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.
As I worked my way toward 2MM, all earned with actual UA miles with no other contributors, I was told in writing that upon reaching 2MM I would be granted lifetime 1K , lifetime membership into the United Club, and 2 regional upgrades per year for life.

Upon the merger, these were either removed entirely as with the upgrades and club membership, or downgraded significantly, as from 1K lifetime to platinum. Being self employed, these miles were all bought by me. Now that I can ease a bit with business, I find that the benefits I had thought I had earned have disappeared. While I will not make 1K again with any airline, I do estimate that I will fly 60-80K per year with someone. At least AA uses full sized planes on PSP-DFW.

Thanks for the quick responses. Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Old May 24, 13, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
As I worked my way toward 2MM, all earned with actual UA miles with no other contributors, I was told in writing that upon reaching 2MM I would be granted lifetime 1K , lifetime membership into the United Club, and 2 regional upgrades per year for life.
As wit most FF programs, all the "benefits" are available for the "Life of the program". So with the Merger, United and it's FF program was reborn under "UnitedContinental Holdings". So I guess that gave them Carte Blanche to do away with anything they pleased!

Keeping my fingers crossed Doug Parker (US) doesn't get any of the same ideas!!
Old May 24, 13, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Are you sure? I thought it was lifetime 1P (now Premier Gold), which in turn is *G gets you access to lounges on international itineraries.

Could be wrong.
Old May 24, 13, 3:47 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Out of the frying pan into another frying pan

CalRef, not in the lest trying to dissuade you as I had very similar experience with UA. Just sharing what I have experienced.

IMHO the overall context is one of increased emphasis on the top tier and not always subtle backing off on bennies for everyone else. So by all means grab what you can while you can, but AA has made it very clear that their strategy moving forward is to emphasize topmost tier, and the US acquisition does not bode well for any positive change there.

The concentration of the airline business with market domination close to de facto regional monopolies decreases the ROI on FF programs so I expect all airlines to hack away whenever and wherever they can. Of course if my crystal ball was so great I'd have bought a winning lottery ticket a long time ago.
Old May 24, 13, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm, TP Gold *G
Originally Posted by ORDflyer View Post
I would drive to LAX for more reasonable upgrade possibilities on AA.
No upgrade is worth that drive on a regular basis.
Old May 24, 13, 4:01 pm

This probably needs to be in the NEWBIE thread. Finally I have decided to give up on UA and their broken promises to longtime 1K and 2MM customers. As a new AA platinum, what are the chances of being upgraded on AA flights? My home airport is Palm Springs and I travel to ORD, DTW, and PHL 3-4 times per year. Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to the dAArk side. I, too am a refugee from UA. Much better over here. My top three:

(1) Transparency - you know why you get (or don't) an upgrade (for example).
(2) Better customer service. Jeff's sole focus on shareholders and the bottom line means he's ignored the other stakeholders - customers and employees. In the name of revenue, he puts handcuffs on his employees and doesn't trust them to do the right thing (he assumes they'll give away the store) - so employees are frustrated that they can't solve tough problems and customers are frustrated that problems don't get resolved.
(3) No less than 16 FC seats, even on 737. UA transcons with A319 (8 FC seats) and A320 (12 FC) seats are killer for upgrades.

My 2 cents.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: