Any idea when we'll know if there's going to be a strike?

Old Jun 18, 01, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Any idea when we'll know if there's going to be a strike?

Does anyone have any idea when we'll know if there is actually going to be a strike? "D" day is coming up here in a couple of weeks, and it seems like if Dubya is going to intervene, he'd be doing it here pretty shortly.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old Jun 18, 01, 6:50 pm

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
I wouldn't sweat it too much.

The administration, through Transportation Sec. Mineta, has already stated (obviously with Bush's tacit permission) that Bush will do whatever it takes to avoid a strike during the summer. Most people take that to mean he'll call for a PEB.

Couple that with the fact that Dubya and Carty are pals, and that AA contributed to Bush's campaign, and it's a lock that he'll call for it, which results in another 60-day cooling off period.

If I'm not mistaken, the 60 days starts as soon as Bush orders the PEB, so the longer Bush waits (up until the current deadline), the longer he averts a strike. In other words, if he announced a PEB tomorrow, then the FAs could strike in mid-August. If he waits until June 30, thay can't strike until August 29 (I think--I run out of fingers and toes when I try to count past 20).

If that's indeed the case, he probably won't announce it until the last minute.

[This message has been edited by SuperSlug (edited 06-18-2001).]
Old Jun 19, 01, 9:47 am

If the APFA made it clear to the administration that they would be conducting lightning strikes, than the economic impact on the country would be that much less and they probably won't call on a PEB. Don't count on the PEB, regardless of who's in office and who's friends with Carty.

The PEB would extend the cooling off period an additional 60 days. Those 60 days can't start before the end of our original 30 days.

You will know if there is a PEB, most probably, before the night of the 30th. Otherwise, the strike could be called at 12:01 a.m. on the morning of July 1st. If there is a PEB, than the 60 day count down would begin on July 1st.
Old Jun 19, 01, 11:26 am

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
AAFA, thanks for clearing that up. I thought I read somewhere that an early call for a PEB would result in an earlier deadline, but I'll certainly defer to you on that.

Are you saying that the APFA has decided that it'll be lightning strikes, rather than a full-blown (or even week-long, but total) work stoppage? Or is that your opinion on what the APFA has to do to avoid a PEB?

By the way, I still think you folks are being pretty optimistic about not getting a PEB, but that's just MHO.
Old Jun 19, 01, 12:27 pm

Are you saying that the APFA has decided that it'll be lightning strikes, rather than a full-blown (or even week-long, but total) work stoppage? Or is that your opinion on what the APFA has to do to avoid a PEB?

By the way, I still think you folks are being pretty optimistic about not getting a PEB, but that's just MHO.[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm saying to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. If we are not optimistic than we can't hope for and end to this.

Old Jun 19, 01, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So is Bush also "pals" with the brass at Northwest? Is that why he also stopped their strike in February, since NW is from Bush's (other) home state of Minnesota? I doubt that Bush and his advisors are thinking of stopping the AA strike solely because Bush and Carty supposedly take golf weekends together in Myrtle Beach.

In other news, while the lightning / CHAOS type strikes may have less of an economic impact, I think they screw the passengers more than any other type of strike. If I know a day or two in advance my flight is canceled because of a strike, I can make other arrangements. With a CHAOS strike, everyone shows up happy and ready to board, then finds out that the FAs are jerking them around. Then everyone has to make alternate arangements with no notice... this is much worse for those affected.

I will feel no sympathy for the FAs if the bosses tell them to pull this type of strike. Unfortunately, there'd be no way I could boycott the FAs while showing support for management if this should happen. Instead, I'd just have to take all of my business elsewhere and hope that enough other people did, so that eventually, over years, AA would weaken and fall apart, to teach the union bosses a lesson.

d
Old Jun 19, 01, 12:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
I doubt that Bush and his advisors are thinking of stopping the AA strike solely because Bush and Carty supposedly take golf weekends together in Myrtle Beach.
</font>
Who ever said that's the sole reason? While I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons, especially in light of the NW case, their apparent friendship certainly doesn't hurt management's cause...

Are you serious about the golf weekends? That's one I hadn't heard before
Old Jun 19, 01, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I was being facetious.. I don't want to start any rumors.

d
Old Jun 20, 01, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton
AA bookings strong despite strike deadline.

June 20 | Wall Street Journal

Contract talks have been rancorous, negotiators are millions of dollars apart and flight attendants at American Airlines say they could be headed for a strike on July 1, disrupting holiday travel for millions of Americans.

Yet even with the strike deadline only 11 days away, travel agents say customers continue to make reservations on American. Cruise lines -- big buyers of seats into American's Miami and San Juan hubs -- are still booking flights. Even the union, the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, seems languid about a strike, with sparse turnout at demonstrations.

The reason: Everyone thinks President Bush will intervene. "After talking to American, other airlines and other cruise lines, we just don't think there will be a strike," says an official at one cruise line. "It's not going to happen."

Full text: http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/...2660729284.htm (Requires registration)
Old Jun 20, 01, 9:36 pm

I agree, Im traveling on July 2nd and NERVOUS, but from talking to AA customer service, they have said it themselves that President Bush will step in and not allow a strike to go through.
IM HOPING AND PRAYING PEOPLE! WONT U JOIN ME IN MY PRAYERS?!?!?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by dfwman:
AA bookings strong despite strike deadline.

June 20 | Wall Street Journal

Contract talks have been rancorous, negotiators are millions of dollars apart and flight attendants at American Airlines say they could be headed for a strike on July 1, disrupting holiday travel for millions of Americans.

Yet even with the strike deadline only 11 days away, travel agents say customers continue to make reservations on American. Cruise lines -- big buyers of seats into American's Miami and San Juan hubs -- are still booking flights. Even the union, the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, seems languid about a strike, with sparse turnout at demonstrations.

The reason: Everyone thinks President Bush will intervene. "After talking to American, other airlines and other cruise lines, we just don't think there will be a strike," says an official at one cruise line. "It's not going to happen."

Full text: http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/...2660729284.htm (Requires registration)
</font>
Old Jun 21, 01, 10:49 am

I'm more concerned about my flights in September than my flights in July. The whole problem with Bush stepping in and delaying a possible strike is that it just pushes back the drop dead date for both sides. Neither has an incentive to negotiate in good faith for another two months, so we passengers are forced to wait until August to find out whether the two sides will be able to get together.

Besides, my Labor Day plans are far more interesting than my plans for the Fourth.
Old Jun 21, 01, 2:40 pm

DALLAS, Texas (Reuters) -- American Airlines is not losing business despite a July 1 strike deadline in a contract dispute with flight attendants, mainly because travelers believe the White House will halt any walk-out, analysts and travel experts said.
The world's largest airline and its flight attendant union resumed talks on Wednesday ahead of a July 1 deadline, when the union would be allowed by law to strike.
The airline and most industry analysts say they expect President George W. Bush, who vowed early in his administration to prevent any crippling summer airline disruptions, to use emergency powers to postpone a walk-out as he did in March in a dispute between Northwest Airlines and its mechanics union.
"If I was betting, I'd put money down that Bush will not allow a walk-out at American," said Tom Parsons of travel Web site Bestfares.com.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: