[Friend] Locked in AA Admirals Club

Old May 12, 2013, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Fortunately I did find a good meter (using the Internet, of course!) that used proper English - the alternative was too bland, had too much sodium and nitrates.

Maybe the meter deflection better illustrates my skepticism, however.

I just know what I've gone through in a number of Admirals Clubs to get a shower - and my own desire to get the job done, as the only place I might want to spend the night would be The Wing's cabana suites at HKG:

Cathay Pacific "The Wing" Cabana at HKG
I LOVE this club. I wish I had more time to spend there. I wanted to take a nap on the "bed"... I only had time for a too short soak in the nice deep tub.
Old May 12, 2013, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ysolde
Totally happened, man. Totally. I'll be they took her cell phone on their way out. Her clothes, too. Then they locked her in. This is the stuff of internet legend!
When did they remove the desk phones?
Old May 12, 2013, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by mvoight
When did they remove the desk phones?
The lounge dragons remove the desk phones when they go home at night. True story.
Old May 12, 2013, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Enough
You're all welcome for the good laugh! I'm tempted to forward this URL to her, but she's more of a peer than a friend...
Old May 12, 2013, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by averycampbell
You're all welcome for the good laugh! I'm tempted to forward this URL to her, but she's more of a peer than a friend...
Email it anonymously.
Old May 12, 2013, 6:01 pm

Might as well just take a long shower at the AC prior to an overnight layover. Instead of getting a small hotel room to crash for the night, you can have the entire AC to yourself.
Old May 12, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by averycampbell
Ignorance is..... ignorance. No offense, but perhaps you need a better class of "peer".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer

OBTW-Check out the 2nd point.

Last edited by Dallas49er; May 12, 2013 at 7:14 pm
Old May 12, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Originally Posted by reft
More than odd. More like illegal if it were in fact true.

The daily closing of an airline lounge may have a different process, but generally just because a place is closed to the public does not mean staff is not still inside. A restaurant or bar will close at some time and lock the doors, and staff will be cleaning the place, closing the cash register and so forth for maybe another hour.
Typically emergency doors require that you depress the bar for 15 seconds before they open, but there are signs on each door saying so. Or there will be a "break glass" or pull handle or another device...
Old May 12, 2013, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
The ORD AC is one of the few ACs I know of where they don't hold your boarding pass when they give you a shower key. In fact, don't they walk you over to the shower room and then put some sort of sign on the door to indicate it is in use? And since there are dedicated attendants who clean these showers, I find it hard to believe that they would just go home not knowing someone was still using one. I wouldn't be surprised if after the AC closes, they open up all of the shower room doors just as part of a checklist. BTW, what time was this woman's plane scheduled to leave?
Old May 12, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage; Carlson Goldpoints.
Originally Posted by AndyAA
Might as well just take a long shower at the AC prior to an overnight layover. Instead of getting a small hotel room to crash for the night, you can have the entire AC to yourself.
I don't know why anyone would doubt this happened -- I can tell you that it happened to me last year at the Admirals Club at IAH. BUT, since I needed to get a hotel room anyway, I just decided to stay the night (I didn't want to leave the AC and go to the privacy of my own hotel room without first having taken a shower....that would be bad form.)

In any event, when I discovered that I was locked in, the bar was completely available to me, as well as being able to walk into the food service kitchen. Found lots of that yummy Sodexo stuff in the fridge....just heated it up and had an eight-course dinner all night long!

Entertainment? Plenty of TVs in the club.

Fortunately, I had my desk PC packed in my carry-on and I was able to set that up and Skype with family and friends....they thought it was great!!

Finally, in the morning, I was awakened by some of the employees coming in.

They thanked me profusely since I had already done the work of opening the bar and kitchen for the day (and, ultimately, after Corporate heard about it, gave me 300,000 miles for my trouble.)

Finally time to leave the club and the airport, but not till I took another shower!

Great experience......AND IT *DID* HAPPEN TO ME......don't believe me? Just Google the Houston Chronicle for April 1, 2012, and you'll see the write up that was in the paper.

Old May 12, 2013, 9:09 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by negs

They thanked me profusely since I had already done the work of opening the bar and kitchen for the day (and, ultimately, after Corporate heard about it, gave me 300,000 miles for my trouble.)

I am just so happy that you were properly compensated!
Old May 12, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by Fanjet
The ORD AC is one of the few ACs I know of where they don't hold your boarding pass when they give you a shower key. In fact, don't they walk you over to the shower room and then put some sort of sign on the door to indicate it is in use? And since there are dedicated attendants who clean these showers, I find it hard to believe that they would just go home not knowing someone was still using one. I wouldn't be surprised if after the AC closes, they open up all of the shower room doors just as part of a checklist. BTW, what time was this woman's plane scheduled to leave?
I used ORD AC shower just this past Wednesday. While they didn't take the boarding pass, they did put a sign on the door to indicate it was in use.
Old May 13, 2013, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Not to mention I believe that all showers are cleaned at the end of the night for early morning arrival redeye paxs that want to shower. Story seems far fetched.
Old May 13, 2013, 6:16 am

So the answer to the OP's question is 300,000 miles. Not bad!
Old May 13, 2013, 8:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
That's what some seem to be saying - so far fetched it deserves to earn miles. (I can't imagine a shower attendant being encouraged or allowed to leave with a shower occupied - aside from the fact they often get tips, which they would see as an incentive to stand by.)

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Not to mention I believe that all showers are cleaned at the end of the night for early morning arrival redeye paxs that want to shower. Story seems far fetched.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.