Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unnecessary layover for cheaper airfare?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Unnecessary layover for cheaper airfare?

Hi,

Just wanted to get folks' thoughts on unnecessary layovers for a cheaper airfare.

This is not the exact itinerary, but it will illustrate the point. Recently, I saw an airfare for ONT-LAX-JFK-LAX-ONT cheaper than the same LAX-JFK-LAX itinerary. I was curious if it's possible to purchase the ONT-LAX-JFK-LAX-ONT and not take the ONT-LAX and LAX-ONT portion of the flight? ONT is about an hour drive away from LAX.

Has anyone tried this? I can't imagine being the only one...
Old May 16, 2013, 7:40 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
If you miss a segment, all other segments on the rest of the itinerary will be cancelled.

Cheers.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
This type of pricing isn't uncommon - as AA knows LAX-JFK commands a higher premium than out of ONT. Just curious who flies ONT-LAX? Didn't know such a route existed. What you're trying to do is hidden-city ticketing which is expressly forbidden. What you could theoretically do is on the return just break your journey at LAX (assuming you didn't check any bags), but you'd have to fly out of ONT on the outbound - but again who flies ONT-LAX?
Old May 16, 2013, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by no1cub17
This type of pricing isn't uncommon - as AA knows LAX-JFK commands a higher premium than out of ONT. Just curious who flies ONT-LAX? Didn't know such a route existed. What you're trying to do is hidden-city ticketing which is expressly forbidden. What you could theoretically do is on the return just break your journey at LAX (assuming you didn't check any bags), but you'd have to fly out of ONT on the outbound - but again who flies ONT-LAX?
Happens quite a bit. I was on a ONT-LAX flight due to a connection via LAX. But my return was directly back to ONT.

Thank you guys for your help. This is great information.
Old May 16, 2013, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by james1
Happens quite a bit. I was on a ONT-LAX flight due to a connection via LAX. But my return was directly back to ONT.

Thank you guys for your help. This is great information.
Still curious though which airline/plane flies ONT-LAX? I can't find anything in flightaware that suggests scheduled service between the two. From that standpoint I don't understand your post.
Old May 16, 2013, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are however many thousand threads about hidden city ticketing on FT. It violates the COC of every domestic carrier other than WN and, if attempted on the outbound, the entire reservation gets cancelled. Whether there is a refund or a credit and for how much depends on the fare bucket.

But, at a minimum, one is standing at LAX purchasing a TCON at walk-up prices which can easily be 7-8x the price of the advance purchase.
Old May 16, 2013, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Still curious though which airline/plane flies ONT-LAX? I can't find anything in flightaware that suggests scheduled service between the two. From that standpoint I don't understand your post.
There is no such service. From the OP:
Originally Posted by james1
This is not the exact itinerary, but it will illustrate the point.
Old May 16, 2013, 8:58 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
ont-lax....ua,us,dl & aa fly the route....
Old May 16, 2013, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by hillrider
There is no such service. From the OP:
Fair enough. Should've read closer - bad example maybe.

Originally Posted by clacko
ont-lax....ua,us,dl & aa fly the route....
LOL oh do they now. With what - hourly 744s and 77Ws?
Old May 16, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I calculate the time lost vs the money saved. More than about $200 an hour and it becomes worth it. I have one of these scenarios for a trip to the grandparents at Christmas.

I was looking for LHR-SAN via anywhere. If I sit in LAX for 4 hours, two and a half times what it would take to drive to my parent's house, I can save $1200 (3 people). Then I still have the flight to SAN, and the drive back north. About $220 an hour, so borderline, but there's still time for a better deal to turn up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.