international upgrades on AA

Old May 6, 2013, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

I'm sure this has been covered but I can't find my exact answers. I fly to China from USA 2-3 times per year. Enough for Platinum status but not enough for EP status.

I fly coach and book my own tickets on line. Being Plat I can at least usually get the exit row on the 777, row 31.

What is the best method to upgrade to business? At least one way? I usually just buy the cheapest economy fare available.

Not if it matters, but I also hold the new Citicard AAdvantage Exective World Elite card.
Old May 6, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/aadvantageupgrades.jsp

Mileage + Copay is your best (only?) bet.
Old May 6, 2013, 2:52 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A525 Safari/8536.25)

25k miles + $350 co-pay. Call AA and request one. You likely will be wait listed.
Old May 6, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Originally Posted by HNL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A525 Safari/8536.25)

25k miles + $350 co-pay. Call AA and request one. You likely will be wait listed.
Isn't it possible for miles+copay upgrades to clear instantly if inventory is available (like with SWUs)?
Old May 6, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
They used to clear miles+copay upgrades immediately if inventory was available.

However, AA is now bankrupt, and they are holding anything above cattle class until the absolute last moment, praying that someone will show up at the gate and want to pay full pop.
Old May 6, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by phazedowt
Isn't it possible for miles+copay upgrades to clear instantly if inventory is available (like with SWUs)?
It is.
Old May 6, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE

Miles and copay come out of the same inventory (C inventory for business). The availability of this inventory can be checked on expertflyer.
Old May 6, 2013, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zarkov505

However, AA is now bankrupt, and they are holding anything above cattle class until the absolute last moment, praying that someone will show up at the gate and want to pay full pop.
It depends on the route. Naturally, routes with heavy paid traffic tend to have lower C inventory.
Old May 6, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)

And we have the same problem over at US... personally I've never encountered "low" availability for Envoy (and indeed all my C redemptions were on UA) and it seems like someone is always complaining about a miles+co-pay or CP cert upgrade not clearing nine months before the flight when the C cabin hasn't sold a single seat.... low Envoy awards and upgrades come out of the same bucket (J).

Every time I sat in Envoy on US it was through a "GoEnvoy" upgrade - basically our version of LFBUs. Used to be $400-$500 for PHL-LHR (not a bad deal IMO considering the alternative is 30,000 + $300)... now they go for double that.

Something tells me this is only going to get worse post-merger.

Last edited by thomwithanh; May 6, 2013 at 7:05 pm
Old May 6, 2013, 5:18 pm

The FAQ (Where it says "Please check here first") covers a lot of basic information like this. In your case, you should check the "How can I upgrade on AA" section.

They still do, and upgrade inventory has nothing to do with AA's bankruptcy. AA has a Revenue Management department that controls when and if upgrade inventory is released.
Old May 6, 2013, 5:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Apieinthesky is correct; your post is not correct. One can find available upgrade inventory with travel tools available, such as ExpertFlyer, and secure an upgrade when purchasing the ticket - even today. Another member recently reported finding 7+ upgrade seats available on the 77W later this year LAX-LHR - and return.

I have secured upgrades using SWUs this way, this year, as well.

Old May 6, 2013, 6:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Having already cleared 8 systemwides this year, none at the gate or on day of departure, can you share where you are finding this lack of availability?
Old May 6, 2013, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911
Having already cleared 8 systemwides this year, none at the gate or on day of departure, can you share where you are finding this lack of availability?
Agreed. I purposely look for availability BEFORE ticketing and hoping for an upgrade.
Old May 6, 2013, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Originally Posted by mvoight
Agreed. I purposely look for availability BEFORE ticketing and hoping for an upgrade.
I doubt this will last. The new American is coming. Just look at the general trend for international/domestic award availability in the premium cabins.
Old May 6, 2013, 6:43 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phazedowt
I did say likely

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.