Search

'Easy' EXP upgrades no longer so easy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:44 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tonytifao
I'm at 100% this year. I do lots of MCO-ORD, MCO-DFW and MCO-MIA. But my brother, which does MCO-DFW-SMF weekly, said that one day there were 20 EXPs on the list and he is also having issues getting upgrades.
How did he know that they were EXPs on the list? presumably he asked the GA and they counted and told him?

Cheers.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brp
How did he know that they were EXPs on the list? presumably he asked the GA and they counted and told him?

Cheers.
If you hold back and wait for EXP boarding, it would be a fairly good indication.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dat4life
If you hold back and wait for EXP boarding, it would be a fairly good indication.
Perhaps. Usually it indicates that people disregard boarding groups and board anyways
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:44 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dat4life
Maybe I'm missing something obvious but, during EXP boarding, wouldn't the PLT and GLD members requesting upgrades also be on the list?

Cheers.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Mia-PHX has always been an easy one, yet I'm #2 on the list at the airport for 1 open seat. This is horrible. Oh well, glad AA can make some extra cash on the infrequent fliers, they'll need it to cover the spend I'm taking to Southwest.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Maybe its just me but in the past six months I've seen longer upgrade list (pity the PLTs and GLDs) and fuller F cabins, even when Y is so open you could hold a bowling tournament back there. Although I'm not complaining. I've started to DL lately due to different travel patterns and have found that one can fly Y (although I try to do E+) and still live to tell the tale.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
... I've started to DL lately due to different travel patterns and have found that one can fly Y (although I try to do E+) and still live to tell the tale.

I can't go back to coach
Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Maybe its just me but in the past six months I've seen longer upgrade list (pity the PLTs and GLDs) and fuller F cabins, even when Y is so open you could hold a bowling tournament back there. Although I'm not complaining. I've started to DL lately due to different travel patterns and have found that one can fly Y (although I try to do E+) and still live to tell the tale.
delta is good. At least most of the time the process is transparent.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by moman
Mia-PHX has always been an easy one, yet I'm #2 on the list at the airport for 1 open seat. This is horrible. Oh well, glad AA can make some extra cash on the infrequent fliers, they'll need it to cover the spend I'm taking to Southwest.
There is no evidence of TOD upgrades influencing upgrade rates. Lower F fares are good business. If they make upgraders harder, so business. Sure, there are some strange situations where the Y to F spread becomes negligible but they are not common.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by sts603
There is no evidence of TOD upgrades influencing upgrade rates. Lower F fares are good business. If they make upgraders harder, so business. Sure, there are some strange situations where the Y to F spread becomes negligible but they are not common.
I have ample evidence of my situation being affected by TOD upgrades. I booked this ticket yesterday, and of course there was no offer to upgrade for $106, but I've seen it before. having went from 99% to 65% can't be a fluke. Lower F fares are good business until they drive the FFers to alternatives
. Another analogy "not seeing the forest for the trees"
Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Lower F fares are good business until they drive the FFers to alternatives.
What would those "alternatives" be?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:51 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have ample evidence of my situation being affected by TOD upgrades. I booked this ticket yesterday, and of course there was no offer to upgrade for $106, but I've seen it before. having went from 99% to 65% can't be a fluke.
So "can't be a fluke" is substituting for actual evidence in your claim of TOD upgrades being offered prior to clearing the upgrade queue? Really?

We're still at 100% 2 1/2 years and running. So I fail to see this substantial change.

Cheers.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by brp
So "can't be a fluke" is substituting for actual evidence in your claim of TOD upgrades being offered prior to clearing the upgrade queue? Really?

We're still at 100% 2 1/2 years and running. So I fail to see this substantial change.

Cheers.
I understand you buy out in advance. I've rarely had issues 5+ days out, its the close in bookings where I'm missing upgrades. WRT evidence, I don't know what is causing the missed upgrades I just know they are getting more common. JFK-LAS, MIA-PHX, LAX-JFK, PHX-DFW. Just for grins, I priced out my itinerary tomorrow and F was $187 more than the "Essentials". Using the customary 5 stickers would be ~ $150. So, hey, for $37 why not guarantee it? I would if I had the option. No disputing the business behind it, but it most certainly is affecting upgrade % for me. The nice thing about southwest is that it's guaranteed I'll go hungry on the flight
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:35 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand you buy out in advance. I've rarely had issues 5+ days out, its the close in bookings where I'm missing upgrades. WRT evidence, I don't know what is causing the missed upgrades I just know they are getting more common.
I would suggest that buying close in is what is causing the missed upgrades as all the people who purchased before you have higher priority. There's no doubt that upgrades are harder to get as more people are buying F due to the fare difference reduction. With fewer seats, there will be fewer upgrades, and the late purchaser (you) won't get them. This has nothing to do with (and does not provide evidence for) TOD bumping requested upgrades.

Cheers.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
^
Sweet I'm all for other EXPs to abandon ship... makes those upgrades easier.

I'm trying to figure out why folks think PHX anywhere is an "easy" upgrade. I've been flying there for years (lived there for 10 of them), and I've seen flights DFW-PHX that had 60+ people board with just F and EXP... no mention of GLD/PLT and gate agents turned some of those away for boarding before being called. This was a couple years ago when I was a lowly PLT, and I joked with the PLT standing next to me that was waiting as well that its no wonder I was near 50 on the upgrade list.

I have missed upgrades on only 2 flights all year this year, one of them was PHX-DFW and I was #8 on the list as an EXP. I have had no problem getting DFW-ORD, DFW-DCA, DFW-LGA, DFW-BOS... PHX booked a month in advance, no go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.