Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Proactive apology email and miles from AA re. cancellations on 16 Apr 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

On April 16, 2013, AA suffered widespread problems (bookings, changes, aircraft holds and cancellations) caused by an HP-owned communications link breakdown. The thread relating to the events of this day can be read here.

This thread relates to proactive (and related) compensation provided those travellers affected by the April 16 events.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, 2MM Mile

Dear Jhark
AAdvantageŽ. Platinum Number: xxxxxxx

We strive every day to get it right. Most days we do, but Tuesday, April 16, was unfortunately not one of those days. American experienced a problem with our network systems that caused many flight delays and cancellations.

First, I want to express my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this caused you. It's our responsibility to get you to your destination on time, and that didn't happen.

Know that we immediately put all hands on deck to identify and resolve the problem - working to get our systems running smoothly, our flights back on schedule, our customers rebooked and back on their way.

I'm very proud of American's people who once again showed real professionalism in getting our operations back to normal and doing their best by you, our customers, at a difficult time.

In recognition of your loyalty to American and appreciation of your patience and support, as an AAdvantageŽ Platinum member, we will be depositing 5,000 AAdvantage bonus miles* in your account. If you have further questions about how we can help you with rebooking or refunds, please visit www.aa.com.

Thanks for your patience, and as always, thanks for your business.

Thomas W. Horton
Chairman & CEO
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by JHark
...depositing 5,000 AAdvantage bonus miles* in your account...
Are all PLAT members getting these miles? Or just those who traveled yesterday? Bc a colleague of mine got that email & he did not travel (nor did he intend to) yesterday...
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by JHark
In recognition of your loyalty to American and appreciation of your patience and support, as an AAdvantageŽ Platinum member, we will be depositing 5,000 AAdvantage bonus miles* in your account.
I received a similar e-mail, except it was for 7,500 bonus miles. Not bad.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:11 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Was anyone successful going to southwest with their AA ticket number? My guess would be no but I am curious.

7500 miles here also

Last edited by abk; Apr 17, 2013 at 3:17 pm
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Go Bears!
I'm EXP and also received 7500 miles. LAX-DEN cancelled yesterday and was rebooked on UA.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:15 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!

Just got this in my inbox. Was scheduled to fly AA on DEN-DFW-IAH yesterday, and was finally rebooked on a UA nonstop.

I did not contact AA and the below was unsolicited and proactive from their end.

Originally Posted by email

Our Apologies and 5,000 Miles for Your Patience

We strive every day to get it right. Most days we do, but Tuesday, April 16, was unfortunately not one of those days. American experienced a problem with our network systems that caused many flight delays and cancellations.

First, I want to express my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this caused you. It's our responsibility to get you to your destination on time, and that didn't happen.

Know that we immediately put all hands on deck to identify and resolve the problem - working to get our systems running smoothly, our flights back on schedule, our customers rebooked and back on their way.

I'm very proud of American's people who once again showed real professionalism in getting our operations back to normal and doing their best by you, our customers, at a difficult time.

In recognition of your loyalty to American and appreciation of your patience and support, as an AAdvantageŽ Platinum member, we will be depositing 5,000 AAdvantage bonus miles* in your account. If you have further questions about how we can help you with rebooking or refunds, please visit www.aa.com.

Thanks for your patience, and as always, thanks for your business.

Thomas W. Horton
Chairman & CEO
AA Mods: please edit/merge if this does not deserve a separate thread. Not too familiar with AA board etiquette. Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Mine was for 7,500 miles. I wonder what the reasoning was...
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:25 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by akarneboge
Mine was for 7,500 miles. I wonder what the reasoning was...
Maybe 7.5k for EXP and 5k for Plats...

Any reports from Golds with 2.5k....?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Also got 7,500 here as well. EXP. Maybe status level is the differentiating factor.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:26 pm
aap

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, United Silver
I got 2500 miles as a lowly Gold. I waited the 2.5 hours extra at ORD, but got home on my original flight.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:26 pm

7500 mi also.

EXP / 3 hour delay
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Got 7.5K as well as EXP.
scheduled to fly SFO-LAX, was delayed about 2hrs total.

This is extremely generous IMO. Even too generous.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7.5K as EXP and my flight arrived 5 mins early!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by UNITED959
7.5K as EXP and my flight arrived 5 mins early!
Same!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:36 pm
aap

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by DWFI
Got 7.5K as well as EXP.
scheduled to fly SFO-LAX, was delayed about 2hrs total.

This is extremely generous IMO. Even too generous.
Agree - this must be costing AA a small fortune to fix this disaster. Giving away bonus points, rebooking on other carriers, hotel/meal vouchers, employee overtime. Had to laugh at AA's personalized apologies on Twitter every 30 seconds.

I really wonder how many people truly would stop flying AA because of this incident. It would seem the other carriers are just as susceptible. Just get people on other flights and this problem will be forgotten.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.