Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Proactive apology email and miles from AA re. cancellations on 16 Apr 2013

Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

On April 16, 2013, AA suffered widespread problems (bookings, changes, aircraft holds and cancellations) caused by an HP-owned communications link breakdown. The thread relating to the events of this day can be read here.

This thread relates to proactive (and related) compensation provided those travellers affected by the April 16 events.
Print Wikipost

Proactive apology email and miles from AA re. cancellations on 16 Apr 2013

Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by vrbaba
I had no AA flights. Got 7.5k
Originally Posted by george 3
What ?!?!
Originally Posted by shortkidd
How did that work? I was not scheduled to fly and didn't get an email. I must not be special enough.
No AA flights for another EXP I know, and no email there.

The only thing I can think of is I had an award redemption on EY for Tue that I had to cancel the night before (unrelated). Probably the "sweep" went through anyone scheduled through AA regardless of airline.

Bummed about not being able to try EY first, but free 7.5k makes it worth it.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
BA gold here - Flew from LHR to STL with a connection in ORD on Apr 16. Flight out of ORD was delayed >4 hours. Fortunately, I was able to reschedule meetings in STL.

I didn't receive any email from AA, but I saw today that AA has deposited 1,500 miles in my AA account. I wonder what the heck I'm going to do with those little orphans...

It's better than a slap in the face with a wet fish, I suppose.

Last edited by jib71; Apr 18, 2013 at 8:56 am
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
1,500 miles for a 15 hour overnight delay and paying for my own hotel room
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:01 am

CK / EXP traveling on my AAirpass - proactively offered 10,000 miles.

The ironic thing - my flight on Monday was in the morning at not delayed at all. Think we might have gotten in early.

Still, there have been other times I've been inconvenienced and not compensated, so I'm going to think of the miles as 'back pay.'

Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
1,500 miles for a 15 hour overnight delay and paying for my own hotel room
Since the delay was not external circumstances, I would expect AA to give overnight stranded travelers hotel vouchers, etc. Was your delay decidedly by this factor or weather and other circumstances were involved? Did you ask the agents for hotel and food compensation? I know some people simply forget or the lines might have been too long, etc.

If the delay was caused by the system issue, I would write a short email to Customer Relations and provide them the details of your expenses. Considering AA is trying hard to do the "right" thing, I would give it a hopeful shot of getting more some re-reimbursement from them.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Unfortunately, AA has not always followed the spirit of their travel policy in this instance - one of our members was on a CUN-MIA-BOS flightset, diverted by the systems failure to an ORD flight which itself was diverted to MEM for a medical emergency, and now they are sitting in ORD affected by nasty weather. AA is telling them they are stuck until Saturday or Sunday and they spent the night at the airport.

84fiero, I'd request compensation.

AA seems to have acted quite well in their travel policy and public face, but some are still being slapped in the face with a very old, smelly dead fish. (The original 16 April thread, linked to in the wikipost, lists the travel policy -still on aa.com today! - and the links to AA's Rule 80 and Rue 240 reaccommodation policy.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by pushback
Hell, they gave me 10K for a three hour delay two months ago. They got off easy with 5K.
Agree this is weak. I was flying paid J DFW-LHR on AA50, which i booked specifically because I wanted to try the much-ballyhooed 77W flat beds I keep seeing on in-flight videos (and have a full day available in London). My inbound flight was delayed 6 hours and I was rebooked onto AA78 with NGBC. Lost a half day.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:05 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jib71
BA gold here [...] AA has deposited 1,500 miles in my AA account.
Would you be kind enough to elaborate? Are you saying AA located your AAdvantage account, and credited compensation to it, even though you had your BAEC number in the booking?

(I ask because we spent several extra hours at DFW and haven't yet been contacted or given miles.)
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by IMH
Would you be kind enough to elaborate? Are you saying AA located your AAdvantage account, and credited compensation to it, even though you had your BAEC number in the booking?
Yes. That is exactly what happened.

I purchased the trip through AA's website. I put my BAEC number in the booking so that the miles would be posted there. I assume that AA was able to associate the booking with my dormant AArdvark account because all of the personal details - email, phone, etc. - are the same.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Got customer service miles even on a AA award ticket that's being flown on CX on the 16th.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Thumbs up

Flew early in the morning on the 16th. Flights not affected at all but just saw the 2500 bonus miles. No email though. Thanks AA!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:40 pm

Wife and are both Plat and no love.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:36 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jib71
Yes. That is exactly what happened.
Fascinating, thanks. (Nothing for me or my spouse so far -- I'll post again if that changes.)
Old Apr 18, 2013, 5:03 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by JDiver
Automatically? No. You will probably have to contact AA and use the terms, for best success, requesting "original routing credit" for your "involuntary reroute".
After following the above process, does the CS agent typically post them manually to the account immediately, or do they go in some sort of automated queue that takes a couple of days to reflect on the account?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by aap
Agree - this must be costing AA a small fortune to fix this disaster. Giving away bonus points, rebooking on other carriers, hotel/meal vouchers, employee overtime. Had to laugh at AA's personalized apologies on Twitter every 30 seconds.

I really wonder how many people truly would stop flying AA because of this incident. It would seem the other carriers are just as susceptible. Just get people on other flights and this problem will be forgotten.
I agree other carriers are probably just as susceptible. However, if you had never had experience this before and then it happens to you when you are booked on AA, it might cloud your judgement enough to stop you from flying AA for awhile. I am of the opinion that a problem such as this is not a deal breaker, if properly handled. I think, at least for the most part, AA did a good job of handling this. The proactive awarding of miles to those affected was a good thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.