Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Proactive apology email and miles from AA re. cancellations on 16 Apr 2013

Proactive apology email and miles from AA re. cancellations on 16 Apr 2013

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 18, 13, 1:37 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

On April 16, 2013, AA suffered widespread problems (bookings, changes, aircraft holds and cancellations) caused by an HP-owned communications link breakdown. The thread relating to the events of this day can be read here.

This thread relates to proactive (and related) compensation provided those travellers affected by the April 16 events.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 17, 13, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
My wife got 2.5K - she is Gold. She flew SFO-ORD and arrived about 5 hours late. She waited in the AC, which was packed and had minimal food. Later, at the gate she saw how they handed out snacks that were better than what was in the AC.
Old Apr 17, 13, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by aap View Post
Agree - this must be costing AA a small fortune to fix this disaster. Giving away bonus points, rebooking on other carriers, hotel/meal vouchers, employee overtime..
What does AA care how much it is costing them. Doesn't affect their stock since they are in bankruptcy still.

So what if they spend a bunch of money before handing themselves to US!?!?!
Old Apr 17, 13, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
No status and was barely affected (we landed 22 minutes late in DFW) but got 1500 miles.

First 1500 miles I ever earned in my AAdvantage account. Credit all the miles to my AS account.
Old Apr 17, 13, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by vrbaba View Post
I had no AA flights. Got 7.5k
What ?!?!
Old Apr 17, 13, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
They have no way of receiving reports from UA, etc. you flew, for one thing.
They shouldn't need anything from UA - I had a flight booked on AA, that's what I'm requesting credit for. Surely they know the reservation I had with them.

I've sent an email.
Old Apr 17, 13, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC, AMEX PLT
Like others, I received the 7500 miles. I was traveling with my wife (no status, same PNR), she received 1500 miles. From above, it looks like the compensation was:
EXP 7500 miles
PLT 5000 miles
GLD 2500 miles
No Status 1500 miles

I think this was well-handled by AA.
Old Apr 17, 13, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
This is a very proactive PR move by the AA.

I believe they set a great perspective that they do make mistakes, but they know how to make it right. Impressed.
Old Apr 17, 13, 9:43 pm

Got 1500k, flight was not affected.
Old Apr 17, 13, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Platinum, delayed 2 hours, got 5,000 miles. I appreciate the apology and the miles.
Old Apr 17, 13, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Citi AA Elite, HH GLD, Grand Wailea Elite
EXP my SFO->JFK->SJU->MIA->SFO run started 20 min late (I had already taken a melatonin) and now I'm getting back an extra 30 min late which might cost me a couple bucks on parking and missing drinks at Admirals Club. $7.5k miles is passable
Old Apr 18, 13, 12:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Delta Platinum Medallion,AMEX Plat,Hyatt GP Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
My GF and I were delayed an hour and a half to LIH yesterday, just received the bonus 7.5K miles. Thanks American - we appreciate the gesture!
Old Apr 18, 13, 1:26 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Hell, they gave me 10K for a three hour delay two months ago. They got off easy with 5K.
Old Apr 18, 13, 1:28 am

I'm gold, AA gave me 2500 miles.

My flight DCA-DFW-LAX was canceled and I was rerouted on Delta DCA-MSP-LAX. Unfortunately I got stuck with middle seat economy instead of my original MCE aisle seats but at least I got home at my originally planned time. And the Minneapolis airport is REALLY nice
Old Apr 18, 13, 5:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by vrbaba View Post
I had no AA flights. Got 7.5k
How did that work? I was not scheduled to fly and didn't get an email. I must not be special enough.
Old Apr 18, 13, 8:43 am

Platinum, lifetime gold, no flights and no points.

I don't image i'll be getting any when my flight into ORD today gets canceled - lol.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: