FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Proactive apology email and miles from AA re. cancellations on 16 Apr 2013 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1459313-proactive-apology-email-miles-aa-re-cancellations-16-apr-2013-a.html)

SFOPhD Apr 17, 2013 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by aap (Post 20608575)
Just get people on other flights and this problem will be forgotten.

Actually, I appreciate the apologies and reaching out. Having gone through similar issues with United, I felt (totally subjective) unvalued as a customer. I like AA's approach more (again, totally subjective).

NYC1K Apr 17, 2013 3:39 pm

I need to call Ex-Plat line and complain. I didn't fly AA yesterday but I still want the 7.5K miles for just being an Ex-Plat.

:o:o:o:o

1stClassFamily Apr 17, 2013 3:41 pm

Get 7.5k as EXP, too. I like this proactive apology. I think management is trying hard to make the loyal customer happy.

vrbaba Apr 17, 2013 3:41 pm

I had no AA flights. Got 7.5k :)

TheBOSman Apr 17, 2013 3:46 pm

I open this post noting I was not scheduled to fly yesterday at all.

Originally Posted by NYC1K (Post 20608592)
I need to call Ex-Plat line and complain. I didn't fly AA yesterday but I still want the 7.5K miles for just being an Ex-Plat.

:o:o:o:o

+1 :o, though not really of course ;)

Agree - this must be costing AA a small fortune to fix this disaster. Giving away bonus points, rebooking on other carriers, hotel/meal vouchers, employee overtime. Had to laugh at AA's personalized apologies on Twitter every 30 seconds.

I really wonder how many people truly would stop flying AA because of this incident. It would seem the other carriers are just as susceptible. Just get people on other flights and this problem will be forgotten.

But at the same time, AA's reaction to it gives me a good feeling that, in case of a massive, systemwide event such as this (this makes any DFW storm or IRROPS pale in comparison), that they will take care of the people scheduled to fly with them, without major regard for what it may cost them. Compare with UA's 3/3 and the days/weeks after. That event was far more predictable to have issues, and yet AA's reaction to this was far better than UA's reaction. What AA's reaction also helps with is showing that, even if something happens during the AA/US system combination, while everything will migrate to AA's systems, they will take care of the customers if issues arise. And this was likely worse than anything that may happen during the combination, since they will have time to prepare for that and have other plans in place if something goes wrong.

JMN57 Apr 17, 2013 3:48 pm

Got 7500, too.

Got a question for the collective wisdom. I was originally slated to fly LIT-DFW-ORD yesterday around 5pm. Of course, everything got messed up and I switched to the Eagle RJ nonstop to ORD. Figured it would free up some capacity for AA and reduced the risk connecting. What are my chances of getting ORC? I'd rather have EQM than t regular miles.

Jimmy28 Apr 17, 2013 3:52 pm

I'm gold and got 2500 (first flight cancelled, eventually rebooked myself on a later flight at a Kiosk).

CPRich Apr 17, 2013 4:07 pm

2.5K as a Gold, with no action on my part.

I haven't seen my original routing credited though - my first leg showed up but my re-route of the second leg on UA didn't. Doesn't AA credit you for your original routing in the case of re-route/IDB/etc to another carrier? US always did that for me.

jm62 Apr 17, 2013 4:12 pm

7.5 Bonus miles, I luckily was already in the air when it crashed.

jeffreyt Apr 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Glad to see they were proactive this quickly. We'll forget about several hour delay much more quickly because they proactively responded with these miles. Now on my end with so many miles, I would have rather seen a "waive flight change" coupon or something like that. :)

JDiver Apr 17, 2013 4:15 pm

Automatically? No. You will probably have to contact AA and use the terms, for best success, requesting "original routing credit" for your "involuntary reroute". They have no way of receiving reports from UA, etc. you flew, for one thing. link

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 20608770)
2.5K as a Gold, with no action on my part.

I haven't seen my original routing credited though - my first leg showed up but my re-route of the second leg on UA didn't. Doesn't AA credit you for your original routing in the case of re-route/IDB/etc to another carrier? US always did that for me.

DillMan Apr 17, 2013 4:26 pm

CK delayed 6 hours until I just bought my own ticket on DL. No miles or email yet. I wonder if they are doing these in batches (as the first report here is only an hour old) or maybe I fell off their radar by buying my own onward ticket and just noshowing for my original flight.

I'm sure the severe weather in Chicago isn't helping matters today either.

AA_EXP09 Apr 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Agree - this must be costing AA a small fortune to fix this disaster. Giving away bonus points, rebooking on other carriers, hotel/meal vouchers, employee overtime. Had to laugh at AA's personalized apologies on Twitter every 30 seconds.

I really wonder how many people truly would stop flying AA because of this incident. It would seem the other carriers are just as susceptible. Just get people on other flights and this problem will be forgotten.

Especially considering the horror of UA IRROPS.

KSBA Apr 17, 2013 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by DillMan (Post 20608875)
CK delayed 6 hours until I just bought my own ticket on DL. No miles or email yet. I wonder if they are doing these in batches (as the first report here is only an hour old) or maybe I fell off their radar by buying my own onward ticket and just noshowing for my original flight.

I'm sure the severe weather in Chicago isn't helping matters today either.

Almost 100% certainty that the sending and receiving of these emails has not yet finished by any means. Mass emailing potentially millions of people is no small task, this is broken up into smaller parts and requires a lot of computing power.

I first overheard an EP in the JFK FL telling his wife how he got 7,500 miles about 5 hours ago. Low and behold my email just arrived.

For what it's worth, I ended up cancelling my ticket yesterday after 4 hours and no end in sight and putting a new itinierary on hold for today. I thought also I may not have qualified for the automated mileage compensation since I ended up cancelling and leaving the airport. It would seem every elite ticketed to fly at some point yesterday, regardless of other factors, received or is going to receive the email.

2TallSeaFlyer Apr 17, 2013 5:25 pm

I was delayed yesterday and no email so far.

I bought a ticket on Delta yesterday after it became clear we were going nowhere.

I'll appreciate the miles, but I'll be most happy after I get reimbursed for the ticket!